My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone this is really one of my first posts on here I been using MTF for tips on building my loader on my allis and so far it's coming good in my opinion and I always see different posts on using hydro vs. actuator to lift and dump the loader. ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1366859145.003980.jpg ImageUploadedByMyTractorForum Free App1366859163.678622.jpg
This is where I'm at right now I just took the loader mount all off tonight to finish weld it. The loader can all stay on the tractor with the mower attached and it doesn't interfear with anything. Let me know what y'all think

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
I already see a weak point in ur build... & it is the flat bar brace from the front frame to the upper of loader rear vertical post...this bar will bend under a load in the bucket.. can u attach a square tube in place of the flat bar.... u can still use the flat bar to attach to the frame front

·
22,343 Posts
That looks pretty good, so far.

Whirly caught one item. Another is the lack of braces from the post mount back to the rear axle. When the bucket stops, the rear axle is usually generating a lot of torque and the wheels keep trying to go forward. That puts a lot of stress on the axle to frame connection and any frame splices in the area. A solid connector between the axle housing and the post support crossmember transfers a lot of that unwanted stress directly through the loader, rather than through the tractor's frame.

I broke my MF12H in half 3 times before that lesson was learned.

Your posts could be a bit taller. That will generate more lift height to clear obstacles. Mine were at the level of the top of the hood.

Why the angle at the top of the bucket?

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whirly, there is 1 1/2x 1 tubing welded behind the flat stock that was one of my mistakes and Tudor good point on the bracing I guess I still have a little engineering to do on it. Do you mean the piece of angle on the very top of the bucket? I put that there just as extra support.

·
22,343 Posts
Whirly, there is 1 1/2x 1 tubing welded behind the flat stock that was one of my mistakes and Tudor good point on the bracing I guess I still have a little engineering to do on it. Do you mean the piece of angle on the very top of the bucket? I put that there just as extra support.
It doesn't really need extra support at the rear edge. It does need extra support on the leading edge of the top, specifically for chain lifting awkward items that don't fit in the bucket. I've lifted car engines, logs, steel beams, snowmachines, and pulled fence posts with my bucket using one or more of the 3 lift points on the leading edge.

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
Look in the Ford/New Holland GT section in early march'13. There is a MTF member named Miguel who scratch built a beautiful FEL on a Ford LGT. Beautiful craftsmanship and paint job. I'm sure he could offer you some advice.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tudor, what would you recommend on using on that top piece? I do want to put some kind of hook in the center so it will need supported. And Larry thank you for that I'm going to check that out now and compare his with mine. Originally this loader was gonna be a "light duty" loader just to move mulch and 2B stone around and awhile ago I saw a neet little loader on a husqvarna garden tractor powered with winches which I thought was a good idea and I also saw a bunch with linear actuators which is the route I was gonna take. Still on the fence with using them or hydraulics

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
linear actuators r slow acting...& weak to lift heavy loads
winches have cables which need to b replaced a lot..
hydraulics
r the most trouble free....tho can b costy to install

·
22,343 Posts
Tudor, what would you recommend on using on that top piece? I do want to put some kind of hook in the center so it will need supported. And Larry thank you for that I'm going to check that out now and compare his with mine. Originally this loader was gonna be a "light duty" loader just to move mulch and 2B stone around and awhile ago I saw a neet little loader on a husqvarna garden tractor powered with winches which I thought was a good idea and I also saw a bunch with linear actuators which is the route I was gonna take. Still on the fence with using them or hydraulics
At least 1.5 x 1.5 x 3/16 angle.

If you turn the one leg down, weld on 3 pieces of 4x4x1/4 plate behind the angle and then weld 3/8"chain grab hooks to the plate.

If you turn the leg up, weld 3 - 2x2x1/4 thick lugs with a 1/2" hole drilled in the middle to the inside of the angle for attaching chain anchor shackles.

You do not want lift points protruding past the leading edge when the bucket is in full dump position..

Lift point spacing - one in line with each arm and one at center.

Light duty loaders turn into heavy work loaders in short order. Build accordingly! Steel is cheap when you only buy it once.

Hydraulics are the only way to go for an efficient loader. Install the cylinders and hoses correctly once and forget about them for at least 10 years. Quite often longer. I still have some 40 year old hoses on my GT loader.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's been awhile since I worked on the 312 but since last post I got rear supports to the back axel on the subframe now and everything got cleaned up and completely welded. Painted the subframe with the exception of the towers due to the fact I don't know where the hydraulic mounts will be. Yesterday and part of today I put it all back together so now the subframe is completely mounted back on. I got the plates all cut and ground up for the hydraulic mounts on the loader arm they should be welded to the arms by this week and then it's a matter of getting the cylinders, control, and hoses and it will be almost complete. My question now is where is everyone buying there cylinders from?

'73 wheel horse 14 automatic
'73 wheel horse 8 4speed
'72 allis chalmers 312 hydro
'05 husqvarna YTH2448

·
OLD TIRED CDN. MECHANIC
9,028 Posts
North of the border we have two main chainstores. One is "Princess Auto supply" and the other is TSC, Tractor Supply Company. These are guy stores, trailer parts, tractor parts, tools etc., and big supply and selection of hyd cyls and valves for replacement and DIY projects, I'd search hyd cyls and see what come up for you in your area. Probably have way more selection than we do.

I see you are in Pa. Contact member "Jack's Deere". He will know whats where there.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Surpluscenter.com is a main source, discounthydraulichose.com is another good source for fittings. Also baileynet.com has a pretty good selection.

·
22,343 Posts
DO NOT weld your cylinder mounts on until you have the cylinders in hand. Either end.

It's easy to weld them on. It's something else to cut them off and weld on new ones in the right places.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok so grass cutting season is officially over for the 312 and brought her back to the house. Thinking about making some modifications to where I'm at so far. First off is the towers. I have the brackets that attach the loader to the towers parallel to the ground I think I'm changing that so there up and down now so I gain more height. Second is I have the loader arms attached to the bucket right in the middle I'm going to lower the arms so there attached to the lower end of the bucket. Got two tubes cut and ready to weld on for supports directly to the back axle now and got all my dimensions for a weight box which may become the hydraulic tank.

'63 wheel horse 753
'73 wheel horse 8 4speed
'05 husqvarna yth2448

·
22,343 Posts
The posts on this FEL are the reservoirs. The only original parts left are the cylinders and the arms. It is a dedicated FEL tractor. The loader hasn't been off of it since it was installed in 1984.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
Tudor, Nice looking tractor you have there!!!

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The posts on this FEL are the reservoirs. The only original parts left are the cylinders and the arms. It is a dedicated FEL tractor. The loader hasn't been off of it since it was installed in 1984.

Very nice machine!

'63 wheel horse 753
'73 wheel horse 8 4speed
'05 husqvarna yth2448

·
22,343 Posts
Thanks!

It worked better than it looked. It had just moved that 12'x16' shed that was full of building materials back about 20' and sideways about 4'.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts