My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Recycler
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to build a 3 point hitch for my Ingersoll 4016 and thought I'd share my progress. I started by cutting the lift arms from a sheet of 1/2" steel. Then I milled them to make them square:

I finished cutting the rest of the pieces from 1/4", then drilled...and drilled.....and drilled some more. There's a LOT of holes. I first drilled pilot holes:

Then the finished holes:

Here's a pic of some of the pieces:

Tonight I finished cutting and drilling the rest of the pieces and did a mockup:

That's about all I can do for not until the rest of my parts get here. I'll post some more pictures when I finish it up.

·
Recycler
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice work.
How did you bend the lower arms that precise?
Thanks.

I cheated!! I went to my local welding shop. They have a large hydraulic brake and had them bend the arms as well as the main plate. Best $10 spent on this project! Sure beats the way I was going to do it....heat and a hammer.

·
Premium Member
2,376 Posts
Thanks.

I cheated!! I went to my local welding shop. They have a large hydraulic brake and had them bend the arms as well as the main plate. Best $10 spent on this project! Sure beats the way I was going to do it....heat and a hammer.
Thats not cheating, thats doing it right; and $10 is well worth it. Did you happen to have a sheet of 1/2" plate? And how did you cut it?

All my bits of metal have rust on them! Including my tractors!

·
Recycler
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thats not cheating, thats doing it right; and $10 is well worth it. Did you happen to have a sheet of 1/2" plate? And how did you cut it?

All my bits of metal have rust on them! Including my tractors!
Having the right tools at my disposal helps. I have one of these at work:

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,721 Posts
Having the right tools at my disposal helps. I have one of these at work:

Before I retired, I had access to a band saw like that where I worked .. I sure do miss it.

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Your fabrication work looks excellent! Wish I had access to all of the equipment you do. My local welding shop lets me use some of their equipment including the ironman shear and brake--fabulous piece of equipment to have around.

One question, what is the size of the top shaft? It looks quite a bit smaller than the OEM hitch which uses a piece of tubing approximately 1.125 or 1.250 OD. That's a pretty high stress part so you don't want to get caught undersized.

·
Recycler
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Your fabrication work looks excellent! Wish I had access to all of the equipment you do. My local welding shop lets me use some of their equipment including the ironman shear and brake--fabulous piece of equipment to have around.

One question, what is the size of the top shaft? It looks quite a bit smaller than the OEM hitch which uses a piece of tubing approximately 1.125 or 1.250 OD. That's a pretty high stress part so you don't want to get caught undersized.
The top shaft is 1" solid cold rolled steel. I have some 1.5" OD structural tubing that I'll add a couple grease fittings for it to turn in. The couple things that I'm going to do different than in the pictures is to drop the lift arm anchor point down an inch or 2, and I'm not going to use that cylinder. I thought it was a 4" stroke, but it's only a 2". I've since ordered a heavy 4" stroke cylinder to make sure I get maximum travel. I'm still waiting on the swivel eyes and adjustable lift links so I'm limited as to what I can work on.

Guess it'll soon be time to make the 3pt. to sleeve hitch adapter. Don't need any special parts for that.

·
Recycler
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lots of deburring time?
PLENTY!!!

Here's what I got done today. I cut and turned the sleeves and installed grease fittings.

I got everything welded together that I could and bolted it up to see how it fit.

I'll probably prime and paint tomorrow, and wait for the hardware to finish the lift arms.

·
Lindeman crawler fan
2,721 Posts
I've looked at several 3-point hitches on garden tractors because I'm going to be building one for my tractor.
None of them look as well built as what you're making.

·
Recycler
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I've looked at several 3-point hitches on garden tractors because I'm going to be building one for my tractor.
None of them look as well built as what you're making.
Thanks Ray. That means a lot coming from you!! Here's a picture of it with paint:

I'm still waiting on the rest of the parts to finish the build. Hopefully they'll all get here this week. I'm dying to try it out.

·
Banned
1,879 Posts
Very nice work.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Very nice work. I would also like to put on the back of my homemade tractor a 3 point hitch.
Is this going to be a category 1 hitch?
I like the way this looks, would you be willing to share your plans.
good work
Mark

·
Sears-o-holic
286 Posts
Nice work, Scott- your fabrication work is top notch!!! I have been scrolling through your build threads trying to decide how bad I want to undertake a loader build for my 448. That's the reason I got it, so I probably should! Keep up the superb work!! We need more guys like you to balance out the guys like me doing shaunty fab work LOL

·
Recycler
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice work, Scott- your fabrication work is top notch!!! I have been scrolling through your build threads trying to decide how bad I want to undertake a loader build for my 448. That's the reason I got it, so I probably should! Keep up the superb work!! We need more guys like you to balance out the guys like me doing shaunty fab work LOL
Thanks. One of the things you'll notice is that unless you have power steering on your 448, using a FEL on it will be tough. I went through 2 steering gears on my 4016 before I decided to build the Artic-IngerCase. The FEL puts a lot of weight on the front end. I'm not saying don't do it, I'm just recommending that you really think it through.

·
Sears-o-holic
286 Posts
I appreciate your input! It means more coming from someone who actually had it. Ideas for steering keep popping in and out of my brain....... I'm not going to be using the deck on this machine, so part of me wants to just mount up an orbital valve and go fully hydraulic with the steering....But another idea I saw somewhere else was using a sturdy right angle gear box...with gearing a little higher than the factory steering, so it's sturdier and much easier to turn, you just gotta turn the wheel a little more. I used a similar idea on another tractor that I built a steering set up on, Basically I just fabbed up an arm to bolt to the factory pitman arm on the spindle, It worked like a dreamed and took all the stress off the gearbox....it just doesn't turn as sharp anymore.....so lots of ideas, just not real sure. This tractor isn't even on the project list yet just compiling ideas.

Did your 4016 use the factory hydraulic pump/cooler/reservoir? How did that stuff fair?

·
Recycler
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I appreciate your input! It means more coming from someone who actually had it. Ideas for steering keep popping in and out of my brain....... I'm not going to be using the deck on this machine, so part of me wants to just mount up an orbital valve and go fully hydraulic with the steering....But another idea I saw somewhere else was using a sturdy right angle gear box...with gearing a little higher than the factory steering, so it's sturdier and much easier to turn, you just gotta turn the wheel a little more. I used a similar idea on another tractor that I built a steering set up on, Basically I just fabbed up an arm to bolt to the factory pitman arm on the spindle, It worked like a dreamed and took all the stress off the gearbox....it just doesn't turn as sharp anymore.....so lots of ideas, just not real sure. This tractor isn't even on the project list yet just compiling ideas.

Did your 4016 use the factory hydraulic pump/cooler/reservoir? How did that stuff fair?
Yes. I just installed quick disconnects and plugged into the hydraulic PTO on the 4016, and then just unplugged it when I took it off. It worked pretty well. You can see the hoses going back beside the seat in the first picture.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts