My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I receive my Buford Bucket and wanted to post some initial impressions on the bucket and my experience with Pete.

1. Pete is very helpful and was willing to answer any and all questions I had prior to purchasing. I wish more transactions were like that today.
2. I don’t know if I have ever received something packaged so well. Really well. It show that he cares about how you receive the product.
3. I have not gotten to put the bucket through it’s paces so I will need to report back once it do. My initial impression is that this bucket will be going long after my 455 gives up the ghost. It is not flimsy or cheaply made. It is a tool to be used and the build quality reflects that.
4. I was originally concerned with its lifting height compared to a 40 loader. After putting it on my 455, I am not as concerned.
5. I love the small footprint when it is off of the tractor. Much easier to store.
6. Installing it was fairly straightforward. There are no instructions but it was not difficult to figure it out.
7. This is no fault of the bucket but I wish there were a way to keep the deck in while using the bucket. There are times when I might want to do light work and don’t want to remove the deck. The bucket is not difficult to install I just don’t like removing the 60” behemoth of a deck I have.

Right now I couldn’t imagine being disappointed with my purchase. It was money well spent!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
Probably the best part of the design is requiring the deck to be removed. It's easy to think you would be ok using the bucket with the deck under the machine but the next thing you know the "little" job has grown and the deck has been run up against something and damaged because you forgot it was there. Repairing damaged decks can be a huge pain in the neck and often they are never the same.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I found that after a couple of times it was only about 20 to 30 minutes from removing my 54” deck to having my Buford Bucket on and working.
And taking the deck off a few times during the summer isn’t a bad thing, as it gives you a chance to give it a good cleaning.
I sold my BB about a month ago to a forum member with a 455. Needless to say, he’s very happy with it. Enjoy yours!

·
Administrator
4,534 Posts
You could always buy another tractor for the bucket.....Problem solved.

Run that by the wife and get back to us, OK?

·
Just John Deere
738 Posts
Probably the best part of the design is requiring the deck to be removed. It's easy to think you would be ok using the bucket with the deck under the machine but the next thing you know the "little" job has grown and the deck has been run up against something and damaged because you forgot it was there. Repairing damaged decks can be a huge pain in the neck and often they are never the same.

I agree 100% with your opinion.

GotDeeres

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
And knowing myself, that little job with probably quickly turn into a large job and I would have a mess on my hands. Good advice.

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
I once saw a pic of a guy in the middle of plowing his garden with the tractor resting down on the deck. Now what ???

·
Just John Deere
738 Posts
You could always buy another tractor for the bucket.....Problem solved.

Run that by the wife and get back to us, OK?

I always run a new tractor by my wife...………….. as I unload it off the trailer.

I have owned four 455's at the same time. A total of six over the years.

#1 Was for the Buford Bucket Loader that NEVER came off the tractor.
#2 Had a 60" deck for mowing grass.
#3 Had a rear PTO and 3 point hitch for my 450 tiller.
#4 Was a spare. Just because you never know.

I eventually have upgraded to X-Series tractors, but the 455 is one of the best diesel tractors I have owned. A Buford Bucket on a 455 is a MONSTER machine. That is a GREEN red oak log that was picking up the back of the tractor with fluid in the tired and 500# of rear weight.

455 Red Oak Log.JPG

GotDeeres

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah I’m in the search for weights for the back right now. I have already filled the tires but I’m looking for wheel weights in something else to give me more weight in the back. Ballast is not cheap.

·
Just John Deere
738 Posts
Jason,

These are the rear weights I had on a 455. Wheel weights are too expensive, so I went with suitcase weights. They are mounted close to the tractor which I really like. A 3 point hitch gives you better leverage, but makes the tractor much longer.

455 Rear Tire and weights.JPG

I am sure Pete can make you a good weight bracket, if I give him my plans.

Pig iron will cost over $1 per #.

GotDeeres

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I found some wheel weights for $1 or lb. they are 50lb each and he has two sets. Unfortunately about 2 hr away. Suitcase weights are about $1.70 per lb but are local. Your setup would cost around $700 for the weights alone. I did find some suitcase weights off a Massey Ferguson for .50 or lb but I don’t know if they would work. Do all suitcase weight mount the same way?

I also can get Olympic 45lb weights for .50¢ per lb. I would have to build a bracket for them.

·
Registered
3,496 Posts
Be careful of other company's weights since they do not attach the same way as JD weights. The cheapest way to load up the tractor is to mount a one-inch vertical pipe on a frame mounted bracket and use Olympic weights. If you go to garage sales they can be had for pennies on the pound because most people just want to get rid of them. If you have a 3 ph then you can mount the bar horizontally and lift it on or off with the hitch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts