My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I read all of the posts regarding mounting of bucket hooks - but I didnt see any that were this particulary setup.

I'm wondering if anyone has mounted the 'bolt on' style hooks straight to the top of their bucket like in the pictures. Just wondering if I bolt these straight on if they will be strong enough for general lifting, pulling etc. They are a standard 4WD recovery hook rated at 10,000 lbs. I was just going to drill some 12mm holes and bolt them straight through, or should I have some sort of plate there also to strengthen it?

DSC07580.JPG

·
9K+ Poster
12,160 Posts
I would think for general light duty that should be fine. I have mine welded on in the same location but with no additional support and have had no issues. :)

·
2,261 Posts
Remember those hooks will be only strong as the grade of bolt you use too.

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts

·
Retired and Busy!
10,175 Posts
smeagol

:ditto: to all the above. I like what TOMMY stated... be sure and use a strong grade of bolt. They should be fine for "reasonable" work. Good luck with the project. :fing32:

·
Prefers the color GREEN
69 Posts
Wow! Those are BIG hooks! for a 53" bucket, and a tractor that only lifts about 1000lbs, imho i'd get something smaller... The safety aspect is much my concern.. Getting injured or impaled with those big hooks out there is just not worth it to me... I saw a man get his arm hooked on a backhoe bucket when the chain snapped and his arm was in the wrong place..... they had to cut the hook off to take him to the hospital!:thSick:

oh, and if you do use those, i''d use a backing plate.. the steel isnt real heavy on the buckets....

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
oh, and if you do use those, i''d use a backing plate.. the steel isnt real heavy on the buckets....
Thanks for all your replies

I was also thinking some sort of backing plate, just to strenghen the whole thing, you're right - the bucket isnt overly thick steel right there. I could see if they were welded on it would be much stronger.

They look alot bigger in that photo than they actually are - here's another photo. They came with high tensile bolts so I think that should be OK.

h.JPG

·
Great Site Good People
6,656 Posts
Nice work Smeagol! They look great. As soon as weather cools down, I am getting my hooks put on.:trink39:

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mine are in the same spot, just bolted on. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
171 Posts
i have found that alot of times if you use bolt on with the proper grade bolts it can be stronger than weld on hooks. (less of the weak areas to pull away from.)

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for your replies - here's the finished product (apart from a coat of JD green on the plates).

I cut four galvanised plates out of thick galv steel and mounted one above and one underneath the bucket where it bolts on.

They are attached with 4 x construction grade galv bolts and cranked up with a large powerbar.

Here's both of the hooks from above
1.JPG

Here's a single hook with the galv steel plate as a backing
2.JPG

This is the view from underneath the bucket with the backing plate under the hook.
3.JPG

These things are strong!

·
Registered
901 Posts
Looks great - the steel plating looks good too. The good thing is that if you do want to run a longer plate for reinforcement later it will be very easy to do. I suspect you wont be breaking those bolts. You would run out of lifting/pulling power long before.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi Smeagol

What you have there should be more than strong enough. The bolts that come with the hooks are grade 8 fine thread if I remember right.
This is how I mounted mine on the new style 49" bucket. Same hooks as you used but the bucket top is so narrow that I had to use a backing plate of 3/8" steel to bolt them on. The rear bolt on the hook is threaded into the backing plate and the front hook bolt and the third silver headed bolt go through the bucket with large washers on the bottom. I mounted them between the bucket bracket and the edge as this is the strongest spot .Seems to work fine. I put those locks on the hooks but they are useless. They bend and have no spring in them.

Cheers
Brian

Attachments

·
myyyy preciousssss!
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hi Smeagol

What you have there should be more than strong enough. The bolts that come with the hooks are grade 8 fine thread if I remember right.
This is how I mounted mine on the new style 49" bucket. Same hooks as you used but the bucket top is so narrow that I had to use a backing plate of 3/8" steel to bolt them on. The rear bolt on the hook is threaded into the backing plate and the front hook bolt and the third silver headed bolt go through the bucket with large washers on the bottom. I mounted them between the bucket bracket and the edge as this is the strongest spot .Seems to work fine. I put those locks on the hooks but they are useless. They bend and have no spring in them.

Cheers
Brian
Brian, I saw your installation before I bought my hooks, looks great. You're right, I've bent off those backing locks already and I'll probably remove them when I paint the plates.

Have you given them a real test yet? I'm interested how they perform.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Hi Smeagol

I haven't tried to move anything heavy yet but this week I am on vacation and I have started building another trail through the woods. I have a rock that needs moving and I may try to lift/drag it with the loader and slings using the hooks.
One downside to having them so close to the edge of the bucket is they seem to grab small trees when I am backing up in the woods. A couple of times a small 1 inch or so diameter tree has caught in the hook.
It must be your winter season there now in NZ. We are having long summer days here now and it dosen't get dark till nearly 10pm on a sunny day.

Cheers
Brian

·
Registered
113 Posts
The hooks look great, I put mine in the same spot.. I also opted for the rounded style of hook rather than the chain attach style of hook so that we could use rope and webbing.

Great pictures

Art

1 - 20 of 25 Posts