My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Bob, that's a nice looking bucket. I probably missed it but what did you use for the metal you added to the plow, it looks like about 10ga. (1/8 inch). I've been thinking about building one but I was leaning to 3/16th. thick. No use adding more weight than necessary. How far out does the bottom come from the plow?

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Bob, that's a nice looking bucket. I probably missed it but what did you use for the metal you added to the plow, it looks like about 10ga. (1/8 inch). I've been thinking about building one but I was leaning to 3/16th. thick. No use adding more weight than necessary. How far out does the bottom come from the plow?
You called it right, Tinner, it is 10ga. I was gonna go with 3/16" but I thought that would be too heavy and overkill. Tho, the top of the bucket is 1/4" to add some rigidity. Going with 10ga, I knew that I would probably need a center brace of sorts. I might cut some of the bracing out and maybe leave a "ribbon" brace.

The bottom is 42"X12". I was gonna go with 18". I'm glad I didn't. It would have been waaay too much.

Bob

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
You seem to do a lot of forgetting, there Sleazy, like the clam shell not clam shell reference.............
Yea, I know Hank, just playin'. My GT is already painted, but, I had to scrap the bucket lift boom. Seems the winch bent it back when I lifted the bucket too high! And that was 1/4" steel! After I redesign and install it, I'll post more pics. But, until then.......

Bob

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
would it be possible to install a stop on the your winch cable ?
No, it's not that a stop couldn't help, it would, but the stop wouldn't be the problem. It would be just another variable in the formula. When the "cable stop" came into contact with the pulley, it still wouldn't stop the winch, as the winch would continue to pull, which is why the plow/bucket mount is bent now. I would need to install a type of stop that would be something on the order of a micro-switch/relay. When the micro-switch is tripped, the winch would cut off. But, this can and would get involved. I'll just have to use caution after I get a new mount fabricated.

Well, go to 1/2" then. That was an impressive lift for that bucket. I'd do anything it took to make it work with the hood on it. Go get'em!
Actually, the 1/4" stuff is fine and strong enough. I just have to release the button when the bucket is lifted to a max height and not try to go higher. The issue was with me and not with the materials.

If you noticed, the winch here is mounted between the boom and the plow. My winch is mounted where the muffler would go for a more cleaner look and at 2000lbs of pull, even 1/4" steel will bend. In the pic, this can't happen. So it's a trade-off. Looks and functionality or just functionality?

:ditto::ditto:
:sidelaugh
When I get the mount done, I'll post pics.

Bob

21 - 33 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.