My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Johnny Bucket gave me the idea, but that bucket is just that! A bucket and only a bucket. I think it would sell more if it was based on a plow and would have the versatility of both, a plow and a bucket. Not to mention that it's expensive and more $$ than I want to spend.

And I'm beginning to think that I have more of a need for a bucket than a front mounted plow, tho, the plow does come in handy at times. So far, it could almost pass for a box blade. I should be able to get some of it welded up tomorrow and see how I want to mount it. I know that .625" DOM with .125" wall will have something to do with it. Hmmmmm......

Bob

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
will it tilt back farther ? that is the only glitch that i see is that if it doesnt, it wont hold much material.
nice lookin build. if it were me id round those top edges. looks like that would hurt on the shin and maybe lay a guy wide open.

·
Murray tractor owner
2,672 Posts
How will the dirt dump out?

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It'll tilt back further when I raise it, tho, I could reposition everything so that I could tilt it back without raising it, but, I would loose some on the "dump" side. As for all of those edges, the sides still need to be cut diagonally. I only cut the basic curve to fit them to the plow. Tomorrow is another day.

How will the dirt dump out?
If you notice in the pics, there is an actuator attached to the plow. I've been playing with it for the last week or so, stacking dirt piles and dumping everything at the top and all I can say.......N-I-C-E!

Now, if I can just get the power windows and A/C to work...

Bob

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Oh, now I see what you are attempting to do......earlier in the other thread you mentioned clam shell, which is why I thought it was going to be a clam shell. But the actuator will make a nice dump/curl for it and the cable will for sure lift the stuff up. I saw the angle of the picture with the log, and that should do a fair amount of lift, IMHO.

Just on suggestion......maybe you could figure a way to make the "bucket" become removable so when snow arrives you could do the plow blade thing and then when its dirt or gravel you are playing in, you could remount the bucket sides. Just a thought. I guess in MI, you would have a use for the bucket for snow removal as much as just the blade.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oh, now I see what you are attempting to do......earlier in the other thread you mentioned clam shell, which is why I thought it was going to be a clam shell. But the actuator will make a nice dump/curl for it and the cable will for sure lift the stuff up. I saw the angle of the picture with the log, and that should do a fair amount of lift, IMHO.
When I mentioned clamshell? Ya mean when YOU mentioned clamshell. :sidelaugh

Just on suggestion......maybe you could figure a way to make the "bucket" become removable so when snow arrives you could do the plow blade thing and then when its dirt or gravel you are playing in, you could remount the bucket sides. Just a thought. I guess in MI, you would have a use for the bucket for snow removal as much as just the blade.
As of now, it will be removable, but, that could change. I don't know yet. I really don't want to lose the versatility of the plow unless the bucket can make up for it.

Yea, winters here can get pretty nasty, with snowfalls rivaling that of Buffalo. :ROF I'm guessing that you have me mixed up with someone else.

As for mounting it, there was another guy who made his own bucket and used steel tubing as hinges, but, his was a clamshell. I'll still use the steel tubing and steel pins, but only to secure it to the plow.

Bob

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
From your other thread,:

I wanted to use the actuator, but, I think it would have been more for show, even tho there was functionality, the winch just seemed a better fit and it can serve "extra duty" if I get into some place that I can't get out of.

Now, I have a 1500lb actuator.....doing nothing. Not quite.
I'm going to be making the plow into a part-time bucket and initially, making it to open like a clam-shell, which would require manual labor to open and seeing how I am retired, I no longer believe in LABOR!
Now, if I install the actuator similar to how I have it in the pic, I could either remove the trip springs or back off on the spring tension, and use the actuator to dump everything. My only concern here is, could the actuator take the pounding when I'm just using the plow?
The only other alternative is to remove the actuator when I remove the bucket.

Unlike others I do remember what I read. But the operative word there that I missed was "initially", meaning, not to be carried out, but thought about it. And as I am now reminded, because you no longer believe in LABOR! Hear, Hear! :sorry1: but I am following your build with interest. I would really like to see how the actuator holds up to the digging and curling under a load of material in the bucket. You got it almost whipped at this point. :thThumbsU

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That was from a different thread, Hank and just running ideas up the flagpole.

Update:
Now, off to the welder.

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
Yea, I see the way it was written that you had changed your mind about doing the clam shell. But, again, my mind remembered the clam shell, and then I saw what looked like a clam shell..........well, anyway, it is looking good.

I have to add that with the hood not in place, the bucket looks too big for the the tractor. But since you have the rear weight covered, it should be alright. Plusd once the hood is replaced, it'll look alright for the sizing of it. I just wonder about the strength of the original pivot point in the digging. Or with the actuator, I guess you would have disabled the pivot, and strengthened that?

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have to add that with the hood not in place....
That's because it's being painted Candy Lime Green. The rest of the tractor should be painted this week.

The bucket is big, 42" wide, 19" tall. I have no idea how much it holds, but, it's a lot!

After using it yesterday afternoon and moving some dirt, I just might keep it this way and make it permanent. Back dragging smooths everything out nicely. Tipping the bucket and back blading works real nice! And because I repositioned the weights on the rear grader, that cuts even better than it did by a mile, (the weights were mounted, nearly even with the cutting edge, digging down with the grader was nearly impossible). So, what do I need with the front plow? Snow? In Texas? I realize that Texas does get "some" snow, just not enough to warrant a plow. lol

·
Old Iron......Forever
3,139 Posts
I'm actually jealous......that is a huge amount of dirt in that bucket. I bet a Johnny Bucket don't lift that high up! That is high enough to load a trailer. Well, the lime green turns me off, but it is a good build on the blade to bucket. Congrats on the conversion.

·
ordinary average guy
1,521 Posts
sweet ! job well done.
not knocking it or anything like that but where did the lime green come from ?

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Nice looking bucket build.
And the lime green just makes it a tiny Steiger lol

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm actually jealous......that is a huge amount of dirt in that bucket. I bet a Johnny Bucket don't lift that high up! That is high enough to load a trailer. Well, the lime green turns me off, but it is a good build on the blade to bucket. Congrats on the conversion.
sweet ! job well done.
not knocking it or anything like that but where did the lime green come from ?
Nice looking bucket build.
And the lime green just makes it a tiny Steiger lol
Thanks guys.

Nah....I'm not painting it Lime Green. Tho, it should be painted this week, along with new exhaust. After removing the stock box muffler, I had to use something until I can make something permanent.

Bob

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
killer ideal like it that it raises high enough to dump in a small trailer. I need to build one like that my self, any modifications to the hood
Thanks. Only one mod to the hood, actually, the grill area. In the vertical center bar on the grill, a rectangular hole had to be made to allow the cable to come thru. Other than that, there are no other mods to the hood.

Bob

·
-
1,833 Posts
I have a marketing name for your build, the Plucket.

Can I get royalties on the ones you sell? :)

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Builds looking great Sleazy. That's gonna be one killer Murray.

·
Banned
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
will it tilt back farther ? that is the only glitch that i see is that if it doesnt, it wont hold much material.
nice lookin build. if it were me id round those top edges. looks like that would hurt on the shin and maybe lay a guy wide open.
You're right, but with only 6" of actuator travel, I thought something had to be sacrificed in way of "curl".

WRONG! :sidelaugh

After thinking a little, (my head hurts now), if I extend the bucket, at the mount hinge, out further forward by 2.250" and reposition the actuator, I could not only have a full dump and a good amount of "curl". I spent the afternoon thinking about this before I did any cutting/drilling/welding.

After I did the cutting.drilling/welding, I tested it and rolled up on a pile of topsoil in 3rd gear; dropped the bucket and curled and raised it as I went along........ what a difference!! Each time the bucket was nearly full. I'm gonna say 300lb or more per bucket. Kinda makes that $1000+ Johnny bucket look like a booga. :sidelaugh

killer ideal like it that it raises high enough to dump in a small trailer. I need to build one like that my self, any modifications to the hood
Almost! I thought the same thing, so, I backed up my 4x8 utility trl to the bucket; still a little too high. Now if there was a ramp of sorts, that would be great. The only other way is to make a FEL for this GT.

I have a marketing name for your build, the Plucket.

Can I get royalties on the ones you sell? :)
The Plucket. I like that. From the way this bucket works and the versatility of it, I think I'm gonna make it permanent. I'd still be able to plow, I'd just fill the bucket doing it. I can live with that.

Builds looking great Sleazy. That's gonna be one killer Murray.
Thanks BBY. Since I've made and installed the bucket, I even started a project. A loading dock for my utility trailer. I had a huge pile of topsoil over "here" and had to move it over "there", 300ft away to where I want the dock. It didn't take long. Just too bad I didn't have a dump trailer that's low enough so I could fill it and make it easier. Tho, I still need some railroad ties.

Bob

·
Registered
301 Posts
now you need to build you a small dump trailer to go along with it any suggestion as far distance from trator to bucket. im assuming closer it is easier it would lift the front end farther away it it less front end lift right. what abut the angle of attack with the winch, the angle you have it at now does the winch stress any at all.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts