My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New here...
I’m at my wit’s end...Briggs Vanguard 6.5HP powering a portable sawmill. Now won’t run; not a ton of use on it but found carb float (plastic) has a slight sliver missing on one of the guides that hold the needle valve in it. Enough missing that the valve will drop off of it...
I’ve searched all over—online, local, not local, Briggs...same answer—not in stock and don’t know when/if they will be. I’ve tried several that looked close but just don’t fit, even with some “re-engineering”. Can’t find a kit either, and no one seems to think anything else would fit.
Any ideas? I’m about to try using my very small pencil soldering iron and see if I can somehow melt some plastic to fill the missing area..arrrrggggggg!!

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
What are the model numbers on the engine. Then you can look up the part. 6.5 HP means nothing that will help you find what you need. Roger

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What are the model numbers on the engine. Then you can look up the part. 6.5 HP means nothing that will help you find what you need. Roger
Thanks Roger, but I didn’t think my query needed it—after all, I had all of that info when I called Briggs, as well as the many other companies I contacted. All agreed with my part number/model number, and again, all said the part is “out of stock” with no estimated time of when it might come back. But...just in case:
Engine 13L332-0122-F8
Float part 798529
The carb is embossed “Nikki” and here are the numbers on it:
C118642
Thanks Roger.
Again, anyone had this kind of experience, and possibly able to make another float work?

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
Why not just buy the correct one from the Briggs store...?

Another option:

I dunno... ;)

🍻

·
Premium Member
4,487 Posts
...ereplacement parts says it's special order, and the o.p. wrote that he phoned up B&S and they said they were out of stock, so most likely if he ordered from either of those links, he would either have an indefinite wait or the order cancelled with a "we don't know when we might get the part"...

I would perhaps try to identify the type of plastic the float is (might have a manufacturing or recycling mark on it somewhere), and then use a plastic welding gun to deposit a bit of plastic there, maybe with a small metal "mold" to get it approximately the right shape and width.

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
ERP is usually pretty straightforward about wait time... in my experience anyhow.

Some things take longer these days.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Looks like aftermarket carburetors are available at a low cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
Difficulties understood. 🖖

Ebay is a known source of fairly decent imported replacements... a general search might get you in the ballpark:

Reactions: Modrob

·
Registered
210 Posts
The after markets that came up in my initial search don’t appear to apply. You may end up adapting another carb to save money. It does appear the carb and the float are available but I did not call to verify.

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The after markets that came up in my initial search don’t appear to apply. You may end up adapting another carb to save money. It does appear the carb and the float are available but I did not call to verify.

Good luck.

Thanks again for your input.
Yes I actually called the Briggs folks and they were the first to tell me none in stock and no idea if ever. Although they did add that one never knows for sure—they could have some just suddenly show up...LOL
Oddly, I found it listed on a Kohler parts site, ordered it, then received a call the next day to tell me about the same as what Briggs had said.So they refunded my money...
It was the same with the others—it would show in their listings, but the clue was “ships from our warehouse in 3 to 9 days” or similar. The “up to 9 days” part tells the story that it is NOT in stock. So to me, if Briggs can’t even get one, then no one else will either. (Although I feel there may be some out there in our world, the problem is connecting with the holder—and I’ve already been Googling for many hours:confused:)

It boggles my mind that such a nice motor by a big name has a part or unit that can’t be replaced or another assembly substituted. I feel confident that there are some folks that are experienced at substitutes if I can just find one...
I shouldn’t have to replace the engine over a small part that can’t be found—I could understand if it were a vintage motor...

I notice too on the Vanguard site they still offer the 6.5, and it looks pretty much the same except for what looks like a cosmetic change in the front control panel/covering...Wonder if it’s changed enough that the carb unit for it wouldn’t adapt to an older one like mine? Hmmmm...I may call Vanguard again and inquire but I’m pretty sure what that answer will be. (We don’t know as we don’t do that, etc.)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Difficulties understood. 🖖

Ebay is a known source of fairly decent imported replacements... a general search might get you in the ballpark:

I’ve searched Ebay many times as well but none appear to be made similar to mine. I think maybe if I had a box full of different ones in my hands that I could likely adapt one, but hard to tell looking at pictures...

·
Super Moderator
4,200 Posts
Speaking of pictures... show us what you've got. Might ring a bell or... something.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Have you tried a local lawnmower shop. I’ve got one about 30 minutes away and he’s had things I had trouble finding a part number for.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Have you tried a local lawnmower shop. I’ve got one about 30 minutes away and he’s had things I had trouble finding a part number for.
Yes, have visited all I could find within 75 miles and looked through their stashes—no go...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts