My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I do like the red one that I have and agree it is fine for under 2 inches, though will do thicker with successive cuts. Cutting the creek bank is so much easier now with the combination of wheeled string trimmer with 0.130 line and what that doesn't take out, the blade does. The 350 feet of the creek bank takes less than an hour now.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,176 Posts
My Stihl Kombi has had this blade on since I got it. I’m betting it’s for grass with a few tiny sapling sprouts in it. It’s purt near worthless on anything over 3/4”, and simply won’t go through anything much over 1”. I sharpened it almost razor sharp thinking it would help, but sadly not. I think I’ll go blade shopping for one of those Renegade blades in the next few days. I’ve used it a bit for some small stuff, but i’ve got to think a different blade will make it more useful.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
My Stihl Kombi has had this blade on since I got it. I’m betting it’s for grass with a few tiny sapling sprouts in it. It’s purt near worthless on anything over 3/4”, and simply won’t go through anything much over 1”. I sharpened it almost razor sharp thinking it would help, but sadly not. I think I’ll go blade shopping for one of those Renegade blades in the next few days. I’ve used it a bit for some small stuff, but i’ve got to think a different blade will make it more useful.
If you put one of the blue blades on you will be shocked at how mean that thing is. Seriously like waving a lightsaber around. I can cut more than I really want to pick up in no time.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,176 Posts
The stuff I cut with it I'll just kick it over a couple feet & grind it up with the brush hog. That thing doesn't even feel a 2" shrub. They're just so close to large mature trees or growing through low branches of the trees to get to with the hog.

I like to cut the low branches on the trees so my tractor and I can pass underneath. Problem is I can't get to some of those trees/branches because of the dense undergrowth around and up to the base of the tree. A long shaft with a real powerful spinning blade thing on the end type of Dee-vice is exactly what I need for this situation.

Exhibit A in the background:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
The stuff I cut with it I'll just kick it over a couple feet & grind it up with the brush hog. That thing doesn't even feel a 2" shrub. They're just so close to large mature trees or growing through low branches of the trees to get to with the hog.

I like to cut the low branches on the trees so my tractor and I can pass underneath. Problem is I can't get to some of those trees/branches because of the dense undergrowth around and up to the base of the tree. A long shaft with a real powerful spinning blade thing on the end type of Dee-vice is exactly what I need for this situation.

Exhibit A in the background:
Oh yeah, you could wave that thing around with the blue blade and that thing would be bare. I cut a bunch of tree limbs up to ~10ft overhead the other day with mine. That pic with the blackjack oak on the red blade was an overhead limb ~8ft long. Don't like scalping myself when trying to mow.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
I can't picture myself raising that thing higher than my knees, let alone over my head...

Mike

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I can't picture myself raising that thing higher than my knees, let alone over my head...

Mike
The image is much better of a zombie killer than a chain saw is. But is really good for overhead work and is much more precise in the cuts. The way it just cuts through the thin spindly branches is great. I have a back entrance to my property (technically, it ain't mine) that I mow and keep the way clear for my truck. Used to use a pole hedge trimmer but this works so much faster to keep the brush from encroaching.

·
Professional Homeowner
7,176 Posts
Well shucks. The Stihlership didn’t have the Renegade. I got the Stihl brush cutting blade, though. I’m sure it will do better than the current grass cutting blade that came on my unit. Looks like the teeth might be a little finer in the Stihl. The fellow that I talked to said he used it for stuff up to 2” and it goes right through, but it isn’t a chain saw (although i’m thinking about the chainsaw pruner attachment and extension for it... might work even better for what I want to do). I’ll have to try it this weekend and see how it works compared to what you describe of the Renegade.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
What RPM does a trimmer head turn at anyway? Are these blades special high RPM?
Much faster than a skilsaw so the blades are different speed rated. The blade adapters are 1" arbor as well.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
What RPM does a trimmer head turn at anyway? Are these blades special high RPM?
Depending on make & model, you can get up to 7,000 rpm on a gas powered string trimmer. The Renegade blades are carbide tipped which can be resharpened with the correct tool.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Chainsaw type cut, 20-30 seconds. 20ft tall. After messing with the red blade the other day going back to the blue is like heaven.
20200320_142714.jpg
20200320_142658.jpg

·
Professional Homeowner
7,176 Posts
I just came in from trying mine out for a minute or two. I’m not sure it will cut that big of anything (powerhead on the KM55R is a touch underpowered), but I have to say WORLD of difference from what I had. Just barely touch anything 1” or smaller and it’s done.. clean cut.
Some day I might try the Renegade or another similar carbide tipped or chainsaw toothlike blade like the Forester. Not like another $20 blade is going to break the bank, especially if there’s a big difference. I’ll play more tomorrow... my hands were cold from changing the blade, and the 30 F with strong winds did them in. Supposed to be nicer tomorrow, and I don’t feel like working with it anymore. Supper time anyways.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I just came in from trying mine out for a minute or two. I’m not sure it will cut that big of anything (powerhead on the KM55R is a touch underpowered), but I have to say WORLD of difference from what I had. Just barely touch anything 1” or smaller and it’s done.. clean cut.
Some day I might try the Renegade or another similar carbide tipped or chainsaw toothlike blade like the Forester. Not like another $20 blade is going to break the bank, especially if there’s a big difference. I’ll play more tomorrow... my hands were cold from changing the blade, and the 30 F with strong winds did them in. Supposed to be nicer tomorrow, and I don’t feel like working with it anymore. Supper time anyways.
After using the blue blade and seeing how different my trimmer felt in power I won't bother with anything else. My FS90 felt like it had NO power with the silver 80 tooth blade. Red blade made it feel underpowered as well.

Going back to the blue blade today made it feel like a lightsaber. Literally drop it thru limbs 3" thick. I love that blue blade--as if ya didn't already know. :D

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Thinking about grabbing one of those blue blades for my Stihl Kombi (KM130R).

The teeth look complex. How do you sharpen them?

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #56

Mike
They are just regular square-cut carbide teeth. The secondary teeth are anti-kickback teeth Imma hit mine with a cut off wheel in my air die grinder when they need a new edge.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
Not sure any of my weed eaters are large enough. The Robi does good to turn to long of string. The JD should do it if I can get the muffler mounted again. Its a 62C with the bolts that are always breaking off.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

Mike
If you are a woodworker and have the carbide circular saw blades for either a table saw or hand held one, you can get the blade sharpener from HF or similar. While setup at first is a bit difficult, it does sharpen well and you can get many more uses out of the blade. You have to consider that some of the woodworking blades are around $100 each, it pays to resharpen them. At around $20 for the brushcutter blades that's somewhat debatable.

·
Premium Member
2,071 Posts
If you are a woodworker and have the carbide circular saw blades for either a table saw or hand held one, you can get the blade sharpener from HF or similar. While setup at first is a bit difficult, it does sharpen well and you can get many more uses out of the blade. You have to consider that some of the woodworking blades are around $100 each, it pays to resharpen them. At around $20 for the brushcutter blades that's somewhat debatable.

Last outfit here sharping carbides was charging $6.00 per 7-1/4" blade and so much per tooth replacement extra. Normal blade sharping equipment doesn't work well on carbides.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
That is very true, Ariens93GT20, that normal blade sharpening equipment doesn't work well with the carbide tips. The HF blade sharpener can also use the diamond & emery blades sold there as an option.

41 - 60 of 83 Posts