My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Husqvarna DJX129 straight shaft with a Renegade Green blade is what I use to trim the growth along the vertical banks of the stream. It will take out 1½ inch trees in one pass and 3 inch ones in several passes. Also use the 2 foot extension shaft. Anything larger gets cut with a battery Powered Sawzall with 12 inch brush blades.
Is there a better price on Renegade blades than this anywhere?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
I dunno about the price differences as I usually shop at amazon. Ebay just doesn't do anything for me as I remember them way too much from their early years and the junk they helped to sell.
Was checking the creek levels yesterday from all the rain and saw it about 3 feet from overflowing. When you consider the creek bed is around 10 feet down, that's moving some water. Will use the Renegade blade today to get the stretch that I didn't know was mine and get all that thick brush out.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Looking forward to a report on how well this works on that brush, as I have a similar job coming up.
I have a blade mounting kit in the mail as well as a Renegade blue blade coming. This one: Amazon.com : Renegade Blade 1 Blade 8"-20t - Renegade Hawk/Hybrid - Brush Specialty GS1 Barcode Shelf Hanging Blister Pack - Carbide Brush Cutter Weed Eater Blades, 203mm Diameter : Garden & Outdoor

I'll post up a video when I start cutting stuff. Hoping(fingers crossed) I can cut some thicker stuff using a chainsaw style cut--wedge in the front, back cut thru to prevent binding.

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
It does take a bit of technique to use the blade that I'm sure you will pick up quickly. Just remember that maximum speed on the blade works better and have a very firm steady hand when using it on heavier stuff. There will be kick back, just be glad it's at the end away from you.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
It does take a bit of technique to use the blade that I'm sure you will pick up quickly. Just remember that maximum speed on the blade works better and have a very firm steady hand when using it on heavier stuff. There will be kick back, just be glad it's at the end away from you.
I took the Stihl out and hit at some cedar with the trimmer line to get a feel for the power it has. Seemed pretty good and is pretty long. I'm glad for that so I can cut higher limbs and avoid kickback. Anxiously awaiting my order delivery. Supposed to be in on friday.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Looking forward to a report on how well this works on that brush, as I have a similar job coming up.
DL, I took this out today for some work with a Renegade 8"-20T blue blade. I posted my thoughts in my other thread right here--> What Are You Doing Today? Post a Pic

"The size of the tree you can cut is set by the blade depth---nothing slows it down. If I can put the tree on the left side of the blade it's very controllable. Couldn't get it on the left when I hit that in the video.

I cut some 20ft tall 6" trees down by reaching up and cutting them from the top down so there wasn't a bunch of weight on the blade. Went around the base to get thru them.

I cut one 8" split trunk cedar by cutting the two stalks off as low as I could then turning the blade straight up and splitting the thick trunk. Cut it in halves. You can cut more brush than you want to with this thing. I have to pace myself cleaning up as I go. I trapped myself in a brushpile and had to cut my way out lol. Need to cut from the end to the start next time."

·
Registered
510 Posts
Steve, Thanks for the report and video, that's very encouraging. I need to see what my son has and if it will work or if I need to buy my own. I just have a bit of clearing to do at the cabin, I used a chainsaw years ago, but I'd like to avoid the bending these days.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Steve, Thanks for the report and video, that's very encouraging. I need to see what my son has and if it will work or if I need to buy my own. I just have a bit of clearing to do at the cabin, I used a chainsaw years ago, but I'd like to avoid the bending these days.
I'd bet the size of the engine/torque plays a big role in running these blades effectively. I was hesitant to buy the Stihl FS90 considering it only has a 28.4cc motor. Most dedicated brushcutters have >30cc motors.

I don't know if this being a 4-stroke makes a difference in the torque but I'm glad it doesn't have more TBH as it can be a handfull when it kicks back.

Below is a pic of a chunk I cut with it. Not the thickest I cut either and it had no problems going thru it after I took some off the top lol. Cut probably took <1minute. I did stop cutting brush to take a break every 15mins or so and spray my blade down with the PTFE (teflon) spray in the pic. It kept the sap from gumming the blade up.

·
Registered
510 Posts
That blade looks nasty. I wouldn't have much that size, and most would be either balsam fir or mountain maple, both trash species up there.

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That blade looks nasty. I wouldn't have much that size, and most would be either balsam fir or mountain maple, both trash species up there.
I was totally shocked at how beastly that blade is. Saw plenty of YT vids and other people's reports but that ain't nothing like slashing thru 2" saplings in a 1/2 second like it wasn't there lol.

Some people were wondering about tall grass. The blade slices thru it but doesn't throw it out of the way--it just stands there after it's cut like nothing happened.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
What happens when you hit a rock with it?

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
What happens when you hit a rock with it?

Mike
Buy a new blade? Lol, I was very careful NOT to do that. Kicked any rocks away from what I was cutting.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Where I'd be using it, they're hard to see and avoid.

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Where I'd be using it, they're hard to see and avoid.

Mike
Mike, the blade mount keeps you off the ground at ~1". AR rock/dirt ratio is about 75:25 in favor of rocks. Unless you point the blade down at the dirt you won't hit anything you cant see. And if you point it at the dirt it will dull it anyway. Same care as you take when cutting with a chainsaw.

·
Premium Member
8,140 Posts
Makes sense, but I'd definitely find rocks...

Mike

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I ran the silver 8" 80T and red 9" 68T blade today. The blue blade blows them all away on heavy woody stuff. No need to bother with any of the others.
Blue: awesome. Cuts anything you put it on.

Silver: lame. Too slow cutting. Grass only.

Red: fair up to 2".
20200312_162956.jpg
20200312_170054.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,952 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I bought a Kombi last year. Works nice. I have to get one of them blue blades. Might cut better than the one I have.
If I had started with the silver or red I would have thought something was wrong with my trimmer or that it was underpowered. That blue blade blows the other 2 away. The tooth design on the blue is not like any of the other Renegade blades. It is like a skilsaw marathon blade. First time I used a marathon I was amazed at how well it cut.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts