My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
JD 755 rebuild to rebuilt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently purchased a JD 755 and rebuilt the motor and got it running 2 weeks ago. I also purchased a JD 403 rotary mower. I haven't used the mower yet and I plan to try it out this weekend. Is there any thing I should know or advice I should hear that isn't in the manual?

·
Registered
465 Posts
You may not be aware that they not only mow; they are great land levelers and rock pickers. At least mine is. :sorry1: :sorry1: Hey, I always get smarty pants answers to my questions!!!!

I don't know what's in your manual, but my Tebben cuts best when the front is slightly lower than the back so adjust your rear wheel accordingly.

Make sure there's gear lube in the box.
Grease it! Should be about 6 fittings.
Level it (side to side).
Make sure all the bolts are tight.
I rarely sharpen the blades on mine -- but I DO make sure they're not beat to a frazzle. I use a right-sngle grinder to dress them up. Don't let the darn thing fall on you while doing this. Block it up.
Raise it some when going around corners if the ground is uneven so it doesn't burrow in (see my land leveler comment).
Remember that it WILL throw rocks --- and at great velocity. Bystanders and windows beware!!

Expect a #*$%$# stripe of uncut grass, if you're cutting tall stuff.

·
JD 755 rebuild to rebuilt
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the advice Larry. Its greatly appreciated. especially the tip about going around corners. I have not heard that one before. it makes sense.

·
Just passing through
8,422 Posts
Well, a rotary mower that has a counter-clockwise rotation should have the uncut portion of the field on its right side...so the mower blade will cut the grass knocked down by the right side tires on the next pass around the field...;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
Well, a rotary mower that has a counter-clockwise rotation should have the uncut portion of the field on its right side...so the mower blade will cut the grass knocked down by the right side tires on the next pass around the field...;)
Paul, It sometimes takes half a day for the grass to "pop back up" and form that beautiful green stripe. But NICE TRY!!!:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts