My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at buying some brush forks that I can attach to the bucket of my Kubota. Northern has them but I can't justify $650 for a clamp on peice thats over 120lbs and kills alot of my lift capacity. Anyone here built their own of bought a decent set? I have a design in my head and might get motivated to build some, just wanted to look at some other designs and get ideas.

Brad

·
Registered
232 Posts
In the process of building some. I'll post pics when done.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am going to start on them this weekend.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I got kinda motivated over the weekend and started a cuttin' some metal. This is gonna be a trial to see if they'll be strong enough. Used 1" x 2" x 1/8" square tube. Some 1/2" plate and round stock and some 3/8" angle and 3/16" strap. I like the square tube for building trans crossmembers in the past because its light, strong, and compact. Since the tubing is smaller I went with 6 forks instead of 5. Its almost finished now, should be able to try it out today if I'm lucky.

Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, so I neglected some chores today because I was excited about finishing the brush forks and wanted to test them before paint in case they had to be modified. Got a few pictures of the test run, moved a few dead trees that had fallen and picked some old wire fence out of the woods. I'll have to say V1.0 worked better than I expected, I know a few things I would change for the next one. All in all it had very little deflection and didn't bend even when I caught one of the forks on the bigger tree and tried to lift it with just the end fork contacting. Let me know what you all think, now its time for paint!

Brad

Attachments

·
W5CPT
190 Posts
Nice job - Can you take some pictures showing the detail of how it attaches to the bucket?

·
外人Geezer MTF Member
2,218 Posts
Wow, Too, that works! Now, if I just had a front end loader to hook them to...

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Thanks for the compliments Clint and Mac, Clint I'll get some close up pics as soon as the paint dries so I can put it back on. If you look at the pics you can see most of it, the cross bar sits against the cutting edge and the part of the fork that extends behind that sits against the cutting edge (4" back). The two longer forks goes 6" more and has a 1/2" peice of square stock (compensates for the 1/2" thick cutting edge)to contact the bottom of the bucket and give it a little more support. The angle goes inside the bucket and bolts to the side in the holes I had for the tooth bar. There are two 1/2" by 3" by 2.5" peices of steel in the center of the cross bar that sit on top of the cutting edge to support the center and "wedge" the forks onto the cutting edge. Also there are two 2.5" by 1/2" round stock on both ends under the angle that serve the same purpose as the 1/2" plate.
So only two bolts (and a prybar lol) and it comes right off.

Brad

Attachments

·
Registered
107 Posts
Nice job TooManyGT. Welds clean and nice detail on the tips of the forks. Also like how they attatch to the sides of the bucket instead of the bottom.
Stoonie

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks stoonie! I wanted to keep weight down and make the tips clean and strong. The very end is a weldment so its a little harder than just hot rolled, next time I think I'm gonna use the tig for the sides though as it took alot of grinding to smooth them back out. I attached the forks to the sides because I didn't want to turn my bucket into a smiley face from bending the cutting edge and I also had holes already in the sides for the tooth bar. I can also bolt the cutting edge to the plates in the middle if it needs some more support.

Brad

·
22,785 Posts
Very well done. Good and strong and a lot cheaper than store bought. Plus the "I made 'em" factor. :thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks Tudor, I like to "make 'em" when ever I can. I'd say I have less than $100 total in materials and paint (including factoring the welding), I used a little scrap I had laying around so I can't say for sure. I might be making another one for my dad's BX1500, I think I can brop it to 5 forks and use 1/4" for the angle to save some weight. Might shorten the forks a few inches too. The BX is a little light on lifting capacity!

Brad

·
3K & Yet So Little to Say
3,341 Posts
Ah...to know how to weld...alas you have done a great job, and will get a ton of use out of them.:congrats:

·
Registered
172 Posts
I made something simpler -- but not as effective as Brad's. Two forks, attached to the sides of the bucket. Modelled after something my father-in-law made for his JD-A. It works fine for logs and long brush. There's too much distance between the forks for short pieces.

I used scrap angle iron I had on hand: 4x4x3/8

I cut 3-foot lengths and cut a severe angle on the vertical side (see pix). Drilled two holes in the steel and the sides of the buckets, then attached the forks with bolts, washers and locknuts.

Been using them over a year now and plenty satisfied. Easy on, easy off, and cost? Two bolts, washers and locknuts :thThumbsU

(Of course, be sure you have weight on the back end! I use my box blade when moving logs.)

Attachments

·
life is good
1,048 Posts
Very nice build TooManyGT, welds look awesome.
I think I may have to try to build a set for my CUT.(after some more practice withy tig welder)

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I was actually thinking of making some to sell but just not sure I'd have the time. Although that would make a good excuse to get a new MIG:drunkie:
Tried them on some lose brush the other day and worked great, only problem I had was the trailer was pretty full of logs and the clearance waouldn't let me get a full dump at times. Might shorten them up a few inches if I make another set. Took a few pics of them all painted up, they'll never be that pretty again lol.

Brad

Attachments

1 - 20 of 29 Posts