My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yup. I parted with my Grasshopper; traded that machine for a near-new Deere snowblower (I have a post about that)
so I got another mower that needs an engine. This one's a Ransomes Bobcat 48" walk behind. had a Kawi on it I think the PO said FB460V.
I know for sure I am gonna need the drive pulley for it (it went with the engine).
I also know there is another forum for Commercial jobbies. but, it seems that nobody ever looks down there. so I put this post here. (I put a "plug" in that forum to look here)

This mower is missing its model/serial number tags. How many years of this machine interchange w/o too many "engineering changes" that won't fit older models etc?
I need a few "incidentals" for the machine itself; but now I need to get an engine on it, so it isn't another "garage ornament" to fall over.

First of all IDK the HP of that Kawi. I am looking at a couple potential "engine donors" (tractors w/dead transmissions, no deck or torn up-beyond-use decks, steering problems etc;
For a 48" WB how much horsepower do I need? I am looking at 3, B&S' at the moment; one guy has 2 12.5HP I/C's; (L head not OHV) laying around off of tractors. (I have not actually asked yet if he would part with either)

I also have a neighbor whose Ranch King "pro" just puked its 2nd tranny in as many seasons; (the 1st was the orig, 2nd one was a used one another neighbor "picked up". the mower (aside from the engine which has been great) has been a nickel-dimer, since the day he got it.

buying this, and pirating the engine for this WB is another option; the motor is the dreaded (as evidenced by other posts here on MTF) 17.5HP Intek.
though it has a spin on oil filter. (an advantage if I got onto a hill I'd guess--pressurized lube)
were there different engine pullies available? I'd assume the Kawi would have a metric crank PTO and the B&S' would be "standard" I hope I'm not "stuck" buying another Kawi.

also, everything I see as available, is elec start; this mower (as most Bobcat WB's I see) are pull start only. personally I prefer both. elec w/a pull start as a back up. that would mean building a battery box and cover (the best place I see for a battery would unfortunately be below the gas tank) though for weight balance issues maybe atop the deck might be better? though I wouldn't want to pull the battery whenever I wanted to pull the deck cover, to grease the spindles or blow out the accumulated clippings for instance.

I guess I could watch FeeBay for a pull start blower housing and put a ratchet starter clutch onto it, if I go with the 12.5. IDK if that's an option for the 17.5HP intek.
Unless I catch a helluva deal I am NOT interested in a brand new engine.

can I look up, possibly thru an online source a parts breakdown of each engine I am considering by its model number and get crank diameter and length info? I can see that possibly being an issue. more so on the diameter than the length.

I have a Bunton 28" WB w/an 8.5HP L head Briggs I/C and that is more than plenty; so I'm thinking the 12.5 on this machine, might be somewhere between "a little light" on HP and "just right".

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
so what'cha think; would a 12 (or 12-1/2) HP I/C B&S be enough motor to "carry the load"? I'm talking early-mid 90s, L head, (valve in block) ones.
I'd like to add a pull start to one of these. I thought sure I'd seen some of these engines set up that way. or am I wrong?

and I think I know the answer but would the L head 12 HP have the same base bolt pattern as that 17.5 Intek?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts