My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a free non-running STX38 yellow deck on the weekend. I have briefly looked it over. The first thing I had to fix was the left steering spindle. Over the years it had worn so bad that it was sitting at a angle and seized.

Now that the steering works I moved onto getting it running.

I put a battery in and tried cranking it over. The key is broken off in the ignition but with a screw driver it can be turned. It didn't crank overly fast and then the starter struggled to turn it over and stopped. The starter was groaning. No gas in it at all, but I sprayed some brake cleaner into the carb and it wouldn't even fire.

There is oil in it but I am wondering if someone ran it too hard and the crank bearings or rod might be seizing.

The good:
Free
Hood has no cracks

The Bad:
Had to fix the front axle where the left spindle goes through so it would steer.
Rear tire won't hold air.
Hard to turn over (maybe starter, maybe cooked engine)...
Won't start.
Can't push it on the ground. Seems like it is stuck in gear when it says it is in neutral.
Powder coat is toast.
Seat is trashed.

I don't really want to put any money into this until I know it will at least run.

PXL_20210222_222339029.jpg
PXL_20210222_222346680.jpg

·
Money Pit
747 Posts
Cant go wrong with free and the hood is good! I've restored refurbished quite a few of them. Good machines. Have fun with your project.

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts
Take it from experience free is never free.
But can be challenging.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had another look at things this evening.

I knew the starter was giving me trouble. I took it apart and cleaned it out. It bench tested OK. Put it back in and nothing. Rinse and repeat 5x.... I was getting pretty frustrated. Especially after I hooked up NOCO booster up wrong and blew the pack... So now this tractor has cost me $115. The booster pack was fairly new.

I ended up hitting the starter solenoid with a plastic hammer while holding the key in start. It started spinning over nicely.

I sprayed some brake cleaner in while cranking and it fired and stayed running for a second. Great!

I went to put some gas in and checked the fuel line. It is broken off the tank.... So I squirted some fuel into the line with a small squirt bottle. I cranked it over and it fired up and idled along nicely.

So engine runs. Now I can dive a little deeper into it.

I have to repair the fuel tank. I don't know if I trust gluing the nipple back on or if there is another way.

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
I have had a bunch of them...it seems that you can't kill them....good luck with it..you may find this thread helpful...it is regarding a starter assist relay....inexpensive to do...and solves an electrical / starter problem...instantly

·
Registered
2016 X750 & 60HC 2021 X758 & 60HC
272 Posts
Put a fuel shutoff in the fuel line. One day a bit of dirt will keep the needle and seat open. It will fill the crankcase with gasoline.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Was trying to get the tractor running yesterday. Could get it to fire and barely idle. I found a partially sheared flywheel key. I have a new key.

The starter solenoid is still acting up. I might do a Taryl solenoid repair bypass.

I also found the throttle and choke linkage hooked up in reverse.

I will swap them back and hope it starts and operates properly.

PXL_20210225_030546646.jpg PXL_20210225_030541803.jpg

·
Super Moderator
9,390 Posts
This is guaranteed to work...designed by @Brad here at MTF...I have put these on quite a few STXs and other brands of tractors also...if you need a hand...just holler

·
Administrator
21,483 Posts
easy as can be to install. if you need some more info check the you-tube video link in my signature.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's running and driving! I was a bit worried because the rear wheels were locked while in neutral. A quick row through the gears and it sprang to life.

It needs a tube in the right rear tire, and a oil change.

Now onto the mower deck. Both spindles are seized. No doubt since it sat out in a field the last few years. Of course the story is always "it was running when I parked it a year or so ago" I think we all know most people's "year or so ago" is quite a few years. Lol

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I replaced the bearings in the deck and sharpend the blades the other day. I am unsure if I will repaint the deck. It is solid but the powder coat is flaking too.

The starter is giving me trouble again. I will either put the start assist relay on or a remote solenoid.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Painted. Unfortunately the paint I had isn't gloss. It is more satin. Oh well.

PXL_20210408_201211527.jpg
PXL_20210408_201216121.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts