My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty sure its a '71 model. Serial# is 917.25640. Gonna go unload it from the truck and take a pic. Be right back.

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So cute, it thinks its a little Kabota! Good part of the deal was the hubcaps and the mint mower deck!

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thats funny, I have a 12 painted like a deere also? I didnt paint it, I bought it this way:thSick:.

Anyway the 14 is alive and running! Just needed the carb cleaned and new fuel lines. Not bad for haveing sat in a barn for 2 or 3 years. Only problem is it revs up and down like it has a air vane govenor thats not working properly. When I started it up it blew out a ton of dirt dobber nest under the motor tin on top of the motor that were around the fan. I'm wondering if one made a nest on the govenor vane. I can sit and watch the govenor linkage go up and down on the carb. Guess I'll be taking the fan shroud off for a look tomorrow. But, I only paid $125 for it and it runs, so I'm happy.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
them big briggs really put down the grunt.

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah I thought the 14 was a tecumseh till I did some reading tonight. Dad gum cleatus, steroids is an understatement.

Ok that whole sentence sounds ******* as he!!

So do these briggs have the air vane gov. that is giving me grief?

I'm going to make this one my dedicated mowing tractor so my SS/18 can have a break. I'll retire it to plowing and blading duty.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
no air vane. the carbs are a bit touchy. esp. if the p/o helped. lol. the govenor is dancing from the engine not being set right, check the points the the carb

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
4+ 1 parts tractor. I now have a 12,14,16, and 18 hp. I didnt even find this one, it found me. A guy that works with one of my coworkers at his other job called me yesterday out of the blue and asked what I would give, so it followed me home today. Lol and I told my fiance I was buying this one to get running and resale. Who am I kidding!!!!

·
Registered
203 Posts
Is that re-bar I see? I can sorta understand why people paint them different colors. The colors of the sears tractors of the era weren't the most attractive and there were so many different colors. I left mine green also.

Thats funny, I have a 12 painted like a deere also? I didnt paint it, I bought it this way:thSick:.

Anyway the 14 is alive and running! Just needed the carb cleaned and new fuel lines. Not bad for haveing sat in a barn for 2 or 3 years. Only problem is it revs up and down like it has a air vane govenor thats not working properly. When I started it up it blew out a ton of dirt dobber nest under the motor tin on top of the motor that were around the fan. I'm wondering if one made a nest on the govenor vane. I can sit and watch the govenor linkage go up and down on the carb. Guess I'll be taking the fan shroud off for a look tomorrow. But, I only paid $125 for it and it runs, so I'm happy.

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah I'm not sure what the rebar lifted, or functioned as. Some kind of lift handle or something.

·
5 Onan Flush
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good news, got it running great last night. Just had to adjust the carb a little. The guy I bought it from got it from his dad, who had the motor rebuilt by sears 15 or so years ago. I believe it too cause this thing runs strong and doesnt burn any oil. I need to adjust the clutch to disengage a little sooner, but all in all its a good candidate for a restore. By the way, both of these tractors in my thread are for sale.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts