My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a JD 355D today and it looks like it will be fun to rehab. It runs great and has a new, battery, belt and blades along with a nice high back seat. The hood and side panels are trash but the grill is still good. It has a good 48-inch deck and new front tires. It has 411 hours on it. Man! I had forgotten what a two cylinder Yanmar sounds like! What a racket. It smooths out just like all Yanmars once it is out of the low idle position. Power steering was tight and the diff lock worked. This little tractor was a real Cadillac when it came out. The nice guy that I bought it from said he got it from the original owner who installed blades upside down and then hated it because of a bad cut! The guy I bought it from has a 1994 455 that is in really nice shape so he no longer needed this 355. I told him to let me know if ever wanted to sell it but he just laughed. Calm down, I'll have pictures tomorrow! Oh, it comes with a box of ear plugs!

·
Registered
728 Posts

·
Registered
427 Posts

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Did JD put diff lock on 355's or are you just messing with us aficionados of the 325-355 series tractors? Maybe "GX" was overlooked or you're just trying to catch us..........:sidelaugh

Good find! Looking forward to your refurbishing pics. There will be pics of that too won't there????:tango_face_grin:

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Dave, I haven't checked the serial number yet to see the year but it has all the exact same features of the GX345 including the low fuel light. I am not sure if all of the 355's had the diff lock but this one does., sort of like the GX345's where the first two years didn't have it. These 355's were made from 1999 to 2001 so there may have been upgrades during that time. I checked out the LED lights on the front bumper and they are pretty bright with 6 LED's in each box. Man, I love to start this thing! Turn it on, wait for the glo plug light to go out and then turn the key and boom! No smoke but noise, from the depths of he11. Pics soon.

·
Registered
864 Posts
:thisthreadisworthle

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
OK, here are the pictures. Like I said all of the plastic except the grill is trash but it has new deck wheels, two new front tires, new battery, new blades, new seat, new air filter and a front bumper that was probably bought after the PO trashed the plastic. You can't tell from the pics but the entire hood is in about four pieces just barely held together. I had forgotten what it was like to drive a high torque tractor at low rpm. It is like a golf cart in that it instantly takes off with no hesitation even at low power settings.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
28,893 Posts
Rudy, nice looking machine! Having that eye candy will make my weekend go much better now. I wish JD would go back to fiberglass, you hit something and normally can repair it same weekend without filling JD's coffers some more. Other than the hood looks like it's in very good condition so nice buy on that!

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
It is a GX! Nice find! Get to work, we all want to see your magic on this one!:thThumbsU

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Nice buy, Rudy. Yes, that little diesel will spoil you real quick.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I took all of the green plastic off this morning and buffed out the powder coating and it already looks good. I had to move it and when I hit the starter it was like plugging in a record of a heavy metal band at high volume! I love it! I also found a lousy repair on the fuel tank right in the rear area. It isn't leaking but I would never sell anything like this. I ordered one from eBay and I will replace it when it gets here. I pressure washed the engine and it is so nice to not have to worry about the electricals on a gas engine. There are no delicate parts to this thing. It does have on pcb and I stayed away from it. The PO just replaced the drive belt, $90, and it is an expensive one because of the extra torque the little Yan puts out. Since this thing is identical to a GX345, I believe that JD found that this engine was cutting into their profit and went with the gas FD611V instead and called it the GX345. Bad call because I do not believe any 355D has ever burned up from fuel on the muffler! New parts coming and it always makes me feel like Christmas when they get here! Pics to follow Merc.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Very nice,

400 hours; just broken in.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After rereading my above statement about JD using the FD611 V in place of the Yanmar, I realized that the little 2 cyl diesel is not for everyone. It is noisy and many who would buy this size mower would not want to buy diesel fuel in addition to gasoline. So maybe there is more than just JD's profits involved. That's why they use cheap plastic in the entire front ends of all their tractors!:tango_face_devil:

·
Registered
427 Posts
It is noisy and many who would buy this size mower would not want to buy diesel fuel in addition to gasoline
The only gas I ever have around is a gallon or less of premium non-ethanol 50:1 and I like it that way.

How loud is it compared to the little 3 cylinder? I assume its all exhaust noise and there is potentially a muffler solution? There are a lot of times I would like to have a mower 500 pounds lighter yet still built like that. Better still would be if it was 4WD and add weight as required for winter.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It isn't much louder than the three cyl engine but it has an inherent roughness that the three cyl model doesn't have. I don't think it is a muffler issue as much as the diesel "Rattle" that we all know about and have heard. It's more of a clanging sound than a roar. Sort of like a hammer hitting an anvil. Out of idle it smooths out and the noise becomes just a loud hum.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I got the rear fender off today and pressure washed the entire underside. It was actually in good shape with no rusted nuts or bolts and no paint peeling. I took the deck off and it too is in pretty good shape. It will only need a good cleaning and a few of the typical powder coating rust spots around holes and welds will be primed and painted. I got the new top hood today and should get the side hood tomorrow. I am getting it from the Kumar brothers and will let you all know what I think of it. It was about $100 cheaper than JD and it included the decals. I hope to get the new/used fuel tank by the middle of the week and might have this thing on CL by the weekend. That's all this thing needed! The little front bumper and the two side bumperettes were still in good shape because it has the front steel bumper on it. If any of you have the models that have the little green bumper, it will to your advantage to but the little two bar bumper for about $120. What I have seen several times with this series is that someone runs into something and the collision pushes the little bumperettes back into the side panels and cracks them. Now you are talking big bucks at over $400.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Man, what a morning! I got the new lower and upper hood yesterday so I decided to assemble them and try it out. First thing I noticed is that the two pieces are not the same color green. Then I noticed that there was a blue color in the green plastic of the upper hood. It looked like a finger painting swirl. The lower hood still had the molding lines on it and had not been polished off. This was nearly $600 worth of stuff and it is poor quality. Kumar said they would send me a new hood right away and told me to dump the blue one. The lower hood is from Bloomberger and is of poor quality too. Also, I do not believe they used the correct diameter of screw holes because they were all extremely hard to screw into and the outside of the screw holes turned white from the stress. I can tell from that that it won't be long before they crack. Also, on the top edge at the rear of the hood assembly that goes on each side of the tower, the two edges do not align. One is about 1/16-inch higher than the other on both sides. I've replaced many hoods and stuff and have never had this issue come up. The sad thing is that to get a replacement takes over a week and there is no guarantee that it will be any better.

·
Registered
864 Posts
Too bad about aftermarket plastics... We know you will make this 355D right.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I do not want to condemn the aftermarket people so I am going to wait for the next hood before I make a final pronouncement. I would think that they must be aware that there are many of us out here who need replacement parts and they need to be almost or the same as the OEM parts.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts