My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tractor Nut
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Late last night, I did some wheeling and dealing on Craigslist trading some stuff that I don't really use anymore for some things I've been wanting.

To make a long story short, this morning I took ownership of an offroad Go-Kart and a 60" Swisher Mower. The JD doesn't know it yet, but tomorrow morning, it's going to meet it's new sidekick. The Swisher mower has been stored outside partially covered and hasn't run for years. I brought it home, power washed it, put in fresh gas, hooked up a battery booster, and it started right up! I haven't even taken it off my trailer yet, I had to go to work. I have one picture for now, but tomorrow, I'll take more to post here.

I sure hope these two play nice together.

Oh, and for those of you that are interested, here's a link to a picture of the Go-Kart.... 5hp Briggs... it runs, but needs a belt and probably some other minor stuff. Picture of Go-Kart!

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
Good score. Nice go-cart to.

·
Super Moderator
17,119 Posts
Hey I hope the JD does not answer you back. Or we might have to call the Funny Farm:sidelaugh Looks like a nice find for a tag along mower :thThumbsU

·
Super Moderator
35,770 Posts
Very nice! Like to see some pictures of your mowing with it. Wonder how hard it will be to match mowing height with the tractor???

·
Tractor Nut
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I can't wait to try it! I've heard good reviews, but I have my doubts as well. My only hope is that it doesn't slow me down. I can mow pretty fast on my X585 w/ 62C deck and my fear is that the Swisher might not be able to keep up by either the engine bogging down or it burning through belts. We'll see!

Has anyone else used one of these? If so, how'd you like it and what did you pull it with? I'm anxious to try it tomorrow. How cool would a 122" cutting width be?

·
TECH Exchange Contributor!
582 Posts
I can't wait to try it! I've heard good reviews, but I have my doubts as well. My only hope is that it doesn't slow me down. I can mow pretty fast on my X585 w/ 62C deck and my fear is that the Swisher might not be able to keep up by either the engine bogging down or it burning through belts. We'll see!

Has anyone else used one of these? If so, how'd you like it and what did you pull it with? I'm anxious to try it tomorrow. How cool would a 122" cutting width be?
I have had very good success with the Swisher mowers.
You can see a thread I have about it here

I had both the 44" and the 60" version and found that the 60" cuts much nicer and did not bog down as much. That being said in tall grass it is the Swisher that bogs down before the 25 hp Legacy with the 54" deck.
It is however a real time saver and it cut my mowing time from around 4 hours to 2.5 hours for my 5 acre lot.

It does require a special technique to learn how to use them and you will be surprised at how heavy they are. When you make a sharp turn they have a tendency to push the tractor around. When I had the Craftsman GT5000 I found that it helped with wheel weights on so I just left them on from the winter. Now with the Legacy being a much heavier tractor I do not have the same issue, but I can still feel it a bit when making fast, sharp turns.

I am still on my original belt on the 60" so I cannot complain about that. I have stalled the engine several times without the belt even slipping so it is pretty stout.

·
Tractor Nut
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2AM Update! :woohoo1:

I got home from work around 1AM and couldn't resist. I used my X585's Loader and lifted the Swisher off my trailer. I put air in the tires, took the belt guards off to clean and inspect underneath. I found that the lever tensioner that engages the blades seems to be rusted in place (not the engagement lever, but the part that it actually applies pressure to put tension on the belt. I banged on it with a rubber mallet a little bit and sprayed it down with WD40... I'll have to get that freed up in the morning. I also hitched the Swisher up to my tractor, got things adjusted where I think I'll want them, and pulled it around the yard a little bit to see how it follows the tractor. I noticed that the fuel lines need replaced; they have dry rot and gas drips from them. It makes me a little uncomfortable with how close they are to the muffler, so I'll get those replaced in the morning too. I'll get some action pics tomorrow and hopefully have them posted by afternoon assuming I can get the blades engaged! :thThumbsU

Oh yeah... here's a question. What is the on/off toggle switch for?? It has an ignition switch that starts and stops it. It doesn't have an electric clutch that I'm aware of. So what's up with that?? :confused: I haven't traced the wires yet, it was too dark.

·
582 Posts
2AM Update! :woohoo1:

Oh yeah... here's a question. What is the on/off toggle switch for?? It has an ignition switch that starts and stops it. It doesn't have an electric clutch that I'm aware of. So what's up with that?? :confused: I haven't traced the wires yet, it was too dark.
The on/off toggle switch is for attaching a piece of line to that you tie to the tractor. That way the tow behind will automatically turn off if it becomes detached from the pulling tractor. I also use it as for safety reasons so you can quickly turn the motor off from the tractor in case you hit a stump, rock other objects you really don't want to mow. :Stop:

Originally the Swishers come with a nice piece of coiled clothes line type line, but any old way of attaching a line to it will work.

·
Tractor Nut
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had a busy day today! This morning, I went to Tractor Supply and purchased some new flexible fuel line and a fuel filter, got them installed on the Swisher, and had it roaring again (and I say roaring because the throttle is stuck wide open!). I got all the stuck throttle linkages loose, and got the belt tensioner loose so that I could engage the deck. Really, I'd have to say that this Swisher was neglected - I'd be embarrassed if I was the one that had let this expensive piece of equipment sit out and rust to the point where nothing on it wants to move. Ants had made a nest in the air cleaner, and boy did they start scrambling after I had this thing running for a few minutes. The way that ants were pouring out of any orifices in the engine made it look just like what happens when you mow over an ant hill. At first, the engine didn't run all that great unless it was at wide open throttle with a little choke, but the more I run it, the better it runs. I made some minor adjustments on the carb and have it to where it will idle down smoothly most of the time.

Anyway, hitched it up to the X585 and headed for my field which hadn't been mowed for about 3 weeks. I was happily surprised that I didn't run into any situations where I would have burnt up any belts, and the engine didn't really get bogged down that much either. I did mow a little slower than what I normally mow at with the tractor alone mainly because I was busy keeping an eye on the Swisher watching how it was performing. Mine has a 13.5hp B&S engine on it and it performed better than I expected and I'm really very happy with it. I think that engine is a nice match for it. The cut isn't as good as the John Deere, but I plan on getting some Gator clone blades on it at some point just like what's on my 62C and hopefully that will better match the cut. I only plan on using this in the field at the rear of my property to mow about 4 acres. I'll mow the rest of my property without it since there are more obstacles. Even though while using it, I find myself driving slower, it still shaves a ton of time off mowing large open areas. Besides reducing my cutting time, I was very pleased that I could use it to mow under trees, bushes, and all the other over grown crap in my fence lines and not have to get close to the nasty stuff like overgrown poison ivy!

One tip for my fellow X4/5/700er's is to remove your 3pt hitch arms if you have them. I didn't do it this time, but I will next time - it only takes 4 pins and 30 seconds anyhow. The drawbar from the mower would rub on the 3pt hitch arms occasionally during sharp turns.

In short, I'd recommend this setup! Here are some pictures after I came back towards the barn after mowing with it for a little while. I forgot to get some pics of it in the field... I'll get those tomorrow so you can see the type of area I'll be using it for.

·
Tractor Nut
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The on/off toggle switch is for attaching a piece of line to that you tie to the tractor. That way the tow behind will automatically turn off if it becomes detached from the pulling tractor. I also use it as for safety reasons so you can quickly turn the motor off from the tractor in case you hit a stump, rock other objects you really don't want to mow. :Stop:

Originally the Swishers come with a nice piece of coiled clothes line type line, but any old way of attaching a line to it will work.
Alan, thank you for all the information! My toggle switch does nothing, so I'll be correcting the wiring for that... and the last time I ran the engine on the Swisher today, I turned the ignition switch to off and it kept running! So that's something else to fix lol. I am planning on setting something up so that I can kill the Swisher from my tractor seat and even possibly have it shut down if it becomes unhitched from the tractor. After these things are done, I'm going to sand it down, prime it, and repaint it! The powder coat is just peeling right off this thing.

·
582 Posts
If I remember correctly the toggle switch just grounds out the ignition. So if there is a bad connection it will actually fail in the "unsafe" mode. I guess that is what you get for cheap engineering.

You can download the manual from Swishers website. It has a (very poor) diagram of the wiring that might help you.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think you'll like the swisher,, I have 2 and like the time savings and the savings of hours on the tractor.
I use an X475 to pull these. We mow about 4 acres. right at a 14' swath.

I agree with removing the 3pt arms. Another thing that helps for turning is to add a drawbar extension to the tractor so the hitch pin is located just behind the tires,,,, you can turn a lot shorter.

Attachments

·
Tractor Nut
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I think you'll like the swisher,, I have 2 and like the time savings and the savings of hours on the tractor.
I use an X475 to pull these. We mow about 4 acres. right at a 14' swath.

I agree with removing the 3pt arms. Another thing that helps for turning is to add a drawbar extension to the tractor so the hitch pin is located just behind the tires,,,, you can turn a lot shorter.
Iowa, good tip on the drawbar extension. It's something I've wanted to get, but always had trouble justifying it because it would see very limited use, but I think this is as good of a reason by itself. I know it's not all that expensive. I can find those hitches on sale from time to time for pretty cheap. I'm not sure what JD sells the receiver bracket for. If it's fairly cheap, I'll order one... if not, I may just try and make one...

·
Tractor Nut
550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also, do you guys find these mowers annoyingly loud? The 13.5hp B&S is considerably louder than my JD... I can hardly hear the tractor running over that thing. I'm considering altering the exhaust system. Currently the exhaust exits forward, but I'd like to reroute it to the left side, rear, or even up in hopes of making it quieter from the tractor seat.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I made my hitch extension out of 3/8 x 2 flat stock. I just bolted it onto the existing hitch.

The 13hp briggs do seem really loud,, I haven't done anything about that yet but , I like your idea of turning it to the side. One of my swishers has a 16hp vangaurd twin on it,,, it is a lot quieter than the 13hp.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts