My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I am surprised this was rusty. After clean up looks like aluminum or white metal parts.
View attachment 2440264
Well, you got me thinking about it. I have 3 water pump assy's and I couldn't remember if these parts were all the same or not. I checked them with a magnet and it sticks to everything. I think its just the powdery residue that makes it look like aluminum or white metal. I should try the polishing media in the tumbler and see how shiny the parts get. ?

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Pulled the lifters out of the block and started cleaning them up. They look like they were never cleaned so I started with a solvent bath and then into the sonic cleaner filled with simple green. Had to use some scotchbrite to clean the carbon off of the end of the lifter.

·
Minding my P's & Q's
1,966 Posts
Those cleaned up nice.

·
Another project? Why not!
168 Posts
I had a few small parts to clean the rust off of. I thought it would be a good test for our new HF Vibratory Tumbler. It worked pretty good and look forward to using it to clean up all the bolts for this project.
I am curious as to what type of media you used in the tumbler. I've been considering getting one for the shop. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I am curious as to what type of media you used in the tumbler. I've been considering getting one for the shop. Thanks!
Its from Harbor freight and its called Rust Cutting Abrasive Resin. It comes in a plastic 5 lb container.

·
168 Posts
Thank you! Looks like it works well!

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Thank you! Looks like it works well!
We put some bolts that had some paint on them in the tumbler and it cleaned all the rust off, but it left some of the paint where it was thick and stuck good. They were in the tumbler for about 4 hours. If we ran it longer it may have cleaned them, but the better option for me is to run them thru the blast cabinet. Might be different media would work better for paint removal also.

·
168 Posts
We put some bolts that had some paint on them in the tumbler and it cleaned all the rust off, but it left some of the paint where it was thick and stuck good. They were in the tumbler for about 4 hours. If we ran it longer it may have cleaned them, but the better option for me is to run them thru the blast cabinet. Might be different media would work better for paint removal also.
That makes sense. I was reading up on the various types of media available for these tumblers last night, and it looks like there can be a wide variety of options, depending on the application.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Got some parts for the H for Christmas.

000_0184 (Medium).JPG 100_2407 (Medium).JPG

41 - 49 of 49 Posts