My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I towed my "new to me" Farmall H home today. It belonged to my cousin who lives next door to our farm so it was a short trip. Had to make a second trip to get the engine, rad, and other misc. parts. The serial number is 189xxx which looks to be a 1945 model and has an X5 suffix which is a 5000-foot altitude tractor. It has a high compression head with pop-up pistons. I'll work on this project as time and money allow.

Attachments

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,044 Posts
I have a soft spot for those H's. First Tractors i drove. Grandfather had 2. Not sure of my age when I first drove them. I know I could not reach the pedals w/o having to slide forward off the seat. Grandfather had me practice in the yard. Then it was my job to haul wagons of baled hay from the field to the yard. 1st gear only. Swing wide around the fence corners. Get to the yard and hit the off switch. Then a neighbor would back the wagon up into the hay mow to be unloaded. Hook tractor to an empty wagon and I'd head back out to the field. I remember thinking I was pretty big stuff being trusted to do that.

Hope all goes well and you have all the parts, nuts, and bolts. Will be fun to watch it go back together.

·
Kish JD 318/420/430
4,058 Posts
That is going to be a new project cjet69, Is it going to get a worker (old patina), or get a new cover of IH Red too?

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That is going to be a new project cjet69, Is it going to get a worker (old patina), or get a new cover of IH Red too?
I think I will paint the engine since it will be torn back down to clean the grit out of it and may paint the rest of the front end parts while they are off the tractor. We will see about the back half.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have a soft spot for those H's. First Tractors i drove. Grandfather had 2. Not sure of my age when I first drove them. I know I could not reach the pedals w/o having to slide forward off the seat. Grandfather had me practice in the yard. Then it was my job to haul wagons of baled hay from the field to the yard. 1st gear only. Swing wide around the fence corners. Get to the yard and hit the off switch. Then a neighbor would back the wagon up into the hay mow to be unloaded. Hook tractor to an empty wagon and I'd head back out to the field. I remember thinking I was pretty big stuff being trusted to do that.

Hope all goes well and you have all the parts, nuts, and bolts. Will be fun to watch it go back together.
I was about 14 yrs old when we got Grandpa's Farmall A and H running again. I thought it was a big deal to drive on the road to the next hay field to mow or rake.

I have a IH 350 utility that the engine froze and broke the block that I can get a lot of thee missing parts from since many of them will interchange. My cousin told me to make a list of the missing parts and we can look thru all the boxes and bins of old tractor part in his shop. His twin brother also has a bunch of H parts in his shop that may go to this tractor also. That should get me most of what I need and will just have to buy gaskets, paint, and maybe a new manifold. It should bean adventure.

·
Premium Member
2,457 Posts
I hear you on the soft spot... Our neighbor's across the road farmed a 160 acre Dairy farm with 2, Farmall H's, from the 50's, up into the 70's, until the father retired, and 2 son's updated the farm to more modern amenities. But even with the upgrades, the 2, H's still had jobs to do, mainly baling hay. Even then, their big tractor was an 856 to do all of the conventional tillage, haul manure, and pull the field chopper, to fill 2 new 80' silo's, that took 80 acres of corn to fill each one, grown on rented ground.

The son's have now retired, and none of the grand kids wanted to take it over. The one H still sets in a huge hay storage barn. Just keeping it around for what it has done. I haven't seen it move from that spot, for at least 10 years.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We had this HF shelter sitting around so I thought I would use it to park the H in for now. Had to clear a spot for it beside the shop.

Attachments

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,044 Posts
Nice digs. Will be nice on a drizzly day to wander in there and fuss with a few bits.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Finally got the H towed to the shop and backed in the HF shed. This should be nice keeping it cooler on sunny days and dry on the rainy ones.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pulled the engine off our IH 350 parts tractor. I need some parts to put the H engine together like the head studs and possibly the governor if its salvageable.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Pulled the studs and governor off of the 350 engine. The governor looks to be in good shape so I should be able to use it.

Attachments

·
Parts collector
3,494 Posts
:thThumbsU

We had one of those but I was too short to drive it at first so I got stuck on the JD 3020 trike pulling wagons into the barn. I did get to drive it sooner or later but by then I was sold on the JD's. 3020, 4000, and a 4020, all with select shift auto. :tango_face_devil:

Goos luck with it.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Picked up the felpro gasket set at NAPA today. Guess its time to free up one of our engine stands and get the H block mounted up for disassembly and cleanup.

Attachments

·
Minding my P's & Q's
2,044 Posts
Saw the pictures of the block slung under the bucket.
Noticed the IH filter sitting on the top of the block. Remember them well. Changed a few.

Had a 30 gal. drum of oil we pumped out of into a 4 qt metal oil can with a flexible pour spout.
Some of the used oil went into the tank on the cattle oiler down in the barn yard. Rest went into the tank of the oil spreader for putting on the gravel road out front to keep the dust down. Brings back memories.

Excited to see it go back together.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Pulled some pieces off of the H in preparation for some sandblasting. I figure with it already torn down this far I should at least clean it up. I used some heat to loosen up the clamps on both the wheel and center casting to axle. I need to pull the rear centers to get the wheel weights off.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
I have my Grandfathers 1940 "H" and a 2-way single bottom plow that he had purchased to go with his F-12 from 1935, so I can understand your enjoyment of wrenching on the old H.

Love that old H to pieces. Wouldn't trade it for anything...

I like your cover for the old girl too.

·
Premium Member
5,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have my Grandfathers 1940 "H" and a 2-way single bottom plow that he had purchased to go with his F-12 from 1935, so I can understand your enjoyment of wrenching on the old H.

Love that old H to pieces. Wouldn't trade it for anything...

I like your cover for the old girl too.
:thanku: Poppa Dave. I hope to get back on it after hay season and our local tractor show are finished up.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Oh Man. I hear you loud and clear on that about the show's.
My family hosts a Farm Heritage Day Show here on the farm the 3rd weekend in May every year, plus this year we are having one or two more "no show" activities coming up soon. IN other words, the gates will be open for anyone wanting to stop in and watch, but it won't be a show with the flea market and etc..

One of our group purchased an old threshing machine and several binders that we are going to put to use here in several weeks. Bind stuff one weekend then toss it in the thresher the next or whatever. That sort of depends on the weather and the time the guy's have to fool with stuff.

I was honestly going to pull the plug on hosting the shows after the wheat was off this year (to much work for one fellow), but after the guys found out about that, they showed up last night and literally begged me to keep it going. So next year, we will have our annual spring show of plowing & disking the field, then we will do something different and plant corn, potato's and wheat. Then the second show in 2020 will be a fall harvest show, picking the sweet corn and digging spuds to sell and of course threshing wheat.

If you ever find yourself near Southern Idaho on the 3rd weekend in May, stop by and say Howdy. We have a group on Facebook too if you'd like to follow along called - Rust N Dust Acres.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts