My Tractor Forum banner

481 - 490 of 490 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Okay, I'm confused.

Why bench the engine? Why not just pull the starter, replace the gear and reinstall the starter? I've done it a bunch of times on mine.

It's time consuming but simple enough with long handled wrenches. Takes me about 45 minutes but I'm old, beat up and really slow. My young neighbor can do it in less than 20 minutes.

The gear is only a couple bucks and available at many auto parts stores in addition to the usual places.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #482
Okay, I'm confused.

Why bench the engine? Why not just pull the starter, replace the gear and reinstall the starter? I've done it a bunch of times on mine.

It's time consuming but simple enough with long handled wrenches. Takes me about 45 minutes but I'm old, beat up and really slow. My young neighbor can do it in less than 20 minutes.

The gear is only a couple bucks and available at many auto parts stores in addition to the usual places.
I was looking at the tear down pictures, I couldn't remember if it could be done while the engine was still on the tractor. Been there before
I removed HulkII engine to fix it.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #484
Yup. It can be done. Just takes a long time because of turning the inside nut just one flat at a time.
Thanks.
I don't think I have ever worked on a starter while the engine was still on the tractor. Looks like I can only remove the L shield this way. Looking at some other pictures it may be possible. I'll give it a try while on the tractor.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #485
Well there's the problem! I found a gear that was in good shape off a donor starter. Plan on a 2 hour job and a lot of patience, that back bolt is a pain to remove, and worse to put back in. BOH fires right up again!

Attachments

·
not quins. but sextuplets
15,241 Posts
Well there's the problem! I found a gear that was in good shape off a donor starter. Plan on a 2 hour job and a lot of patience, that back bolt is a pain to remove, and worse to put back in. BOH fires right up again!
I wonder if the guy who designed that set up was Japanese.. they r the guys who have 5 knuckles on each finger.. 2 of them bend the other way..

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #487
I guess my alignment method worked! After a 10+ mile ride to town last weekend with my Grandson on his John Deere maiden voyage, Actually was for both. Paved road all the way, didn't phase the nubs.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #488
Last post was on 2016, so I tried to waken BOH from his LONG summer slumber as I need BOH to tow the rock sifter trailer to clean the dirt for the trenching Hulk II did last weekend.
I have a no fuel issue, so I checked the gas, 3/4 tank. I removed the fuel line from the carb side of the fuel pump and pressurized the tank. No fuel. I then disconnected the line going into the pump and got some flow and trash. I connected the line back up, and still no flow through the pump. I am on hold right now till I go to town and get some carb cleaner to blow the pump out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #489
Things went OK for once. I was able to accomplish bringing BOH Back to life while remoted into work.

·
Premium Member
9,518 Posts
Discussion Starter #490
separating rocks from dirt till the sun came out.

Attachments

481 - 490 of 490 Posts