My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 490 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yea, for the lack of a good name for now, I present The Brother of Hulk II. For $150 he is in pretty good shape. I still dislike belt covers on the decks, and will see about modifying the cover on this. I checked the deck and it looks good overall. I wire brushed the ends of the cover bolts and PB'd them, all came out without breaking. Cut the old belt out and all the mandrills spin, but are really tight. Some rust pitting under the cover, but not bad. All the deck bolts ate PB'd and the deck stored. I have him up on jack stands and prepping to fire the engine some time next week. Undercarriage looks pretty good.

I am thinking on an original color restore, I'll need to see if the pin striping and labels are still available.

I have a full house again.

Attachments

·
Registered
526 Posts
Looking forward to see your restoration.

·
Premium Member
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thought the choke cable was frozen so I removed it. A little oil and it was working smooth, the carb choke was frozen, some carb cleaner and oil on the shaft freed it up. I checked the throttle lever and it was frozen wide open. Governor lever is smooth. I sprayed the throttle lever and it has freed up some what, still sticks a little near the closed position. I have several carbs, Just want to hear this run before I continue with the teardown.

Attachments

·
Briggs powered Sears.
2,856 Posts
looking good wish i didnt sell mine. it was decent for pushing dirt no where near the ss15 though lol

·
Premium Member
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm.. I am somewhat familiar with the Sears SS series as my Roper 20T is a duplicate if the Sears 19.9. Although I haven't pushed the Roper, I have pushed Hulk II, and I have to say I am impressed as to what these machines can do.

(clearing rock)
(BIG Cedar bush)
(Breaking in the rebuilt engine)

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Come on Larry, not original color.
What about the dark gray on some of the later Craftsman tractors. I've always liked the way they look. Just kiddn, whatever color you choose I know you'll do a great job on the restore.
Cannon

·
Cranky Motorsports
15,256 Posts
Thats the good one! Sames trans as the suburbans :)

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Come on Larry, not original color.
What about the dark gray on some of the later Craftsman tractors. I've always liked the way they look. Just kiddn, whatever color you choose I know you'll do a great job on the restore.
Cannon
Charcoal gray metallic will make the red stand out.

·
Briggs powered Sears.
2,856 Posts
well i only had regular 4 link chains on mine running turf. ss15 had 2 links running ags plus weights lol that is why it pushed better than the craftsman II i had

·
Premium Member
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Messing around with him tonight. Main plan was to check the electrical, so no "gas" yet. Installed a battery and removed the drive belt. Checked all the safeties, the one under the seat is fubared. No action with the key switch. I jumped the solenoid with a booster cable clamp and it cranked. I then used a jumper from the battery + to the white solenoid wire and he cranked. So far so good. Starter sounds strong, and no un-usual clanking noises from the engine.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Looks like I have another strong Briggs 18 hp Opposed. Had to by-pass the key switch, and fuel pump, and he started right up. Blew a bunch of crap all over the shop, and the fuel pump started working after I by-passed it. Mainly wanted to hear it run to determine if I was going to crack the block. I don't think I need to at this time. All the externals will get attention, Probably just de-carbon the Cylinder heads, and clean and paint the block.

·
Premium Member
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I replaced the fuel line from the pump to carb and I want to fire it one more time tomorrow to see if the pump now works, and hook my volt meter up to see if the charging system works. Once the preliminaries are out od the way, the tear down will commence this weekend. All of this is to see what I can expect for the restore. Lots of parts to order from Sears, but I want to make a list and get all I can at one time to minimize shipping costs.

Anyone know of a good adhesive to re-attach the nipple to the fuel pump. It came off while I was removing the old fuel line.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I hooked the fuel pump back up this evening and he started right up and ran smooth, The pump will need the outlet nipple re-soldered so I know it works now but will need taken apart for the soldering. I'll order a rebuild kit for it just in case.

·
Registered
417 Posts
my fuel pump did the same thing. I haven't reattached the nipple, cause I am not sure how. BUT, i did find another fuel pump that works on amazon.

·
Premium Member
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think some pipe solder should do the trick. Good News, Good News, and not so good news. I bought a new key switch which fixed the no crank issue. The charging system works, I got over 13.1 volts and climbing. Hi-range all gears function, but nothing in Lo-range. It feels like the lever is not going all the way down. Hopefully only an adjustment issue.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I had the same problem with my lo gear. Wouldn't engage. I soaked it in pb and then 3in1. After letting it sit a while I got it to move fully. My problem was also the rod was bent, poor design. good luck.

edit: here is my video-

·
Premium Member
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the video, here is little more about the low range issue. I just can't get the lever to go all the way down. I don't see any thing blocking it. I guess I'll find out more when I drop the transaxle. Also trying my hand at dubbing voice into my videos.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Larry,
That looks to be the SAME problem I had. Where that lever connects to the tranny, take it off. Clean the plunger on on the tranny real good and PB/3in1/whatever it to loosen it. Then manually push it into lo/hi. It is that darn rod that was the problem.

·
Premium Member
9,550 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok, I think I found BOH-2 a new color. Local brand at $3.00 a can. I picked up one can and painted a edger blade to see if this will work. What do you think?

Attachments

·
Registered
832 Posts
I think it's kind of funny. The original Hulk was Grey, then due to printer error he became Green, then later after that, they introduced Gen Ross as the Red Hulk. Your craftsmans being Red, Green and now Grey. :thThumbsU

In all honesty, I like your grey.

1 - 20 of 490 Posts