My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Folks: Sad to say my 1968 717 just blew its B&S 7hp engine. Since some internals went right thru the case and I can now look thru that nice big hole and see the crank, I kinda think it is beyond help.
Anyone here know where I can find an engine and more importantly is this really worth trying to fix? I used it regularly and think I may have been the cause with lack of checking oil :{:{:{:{:{ It has some of the optionals stuff on it; IE 2 speed upper and lower case and the 36" mower deck.
I called B&S and they DO NOT make a replacement engine. They didnt give details but NOT making one was deliberate to remove these 7 hp from service.
Would appreciate any input, help etc.
I am located in Zebulon ( near Raleigh ) NC. 919-375-4442
Thanks
Jack

·
Registered
333 Posts
I would try to replace the engine in that machine, those are nice little tractors with nice styling. I believe you could find an 8 hp vert. shaft Briggs pretty easily and cheaply... (that would be a direct bolt in motor) you might also be able to squeeze a 10 hp Briggs in there (but I'm not sure if that would be a bolt in though), I myself would stay away from an ohv engine as it may interfere with the tractors grill with the valve train that sticks out beyond the cyl. head. You could also try to locate a short block as well.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jim; Thanks I truly suspect that the engine may just be the 8 hp version. The original owner, one of my closest friends, bought this new in 68 and said he had the engine rebuilt,hmmm. According to the briggs info I have, seems after 1980 ish only the 8 and 10 hp engines were being offered, the 7 was on the list but NO part number etc therefore I presume it was not made.
If you have any clue where I could get an engine or short block, reasonable I would appreciate it. This was my first lawn tractor and I have gotten attached to it LOL, that articulated body and the floating deck really cuts nice over the rough ground my weeds have chosen to grow on :}:}:}
The tractor has a long history and you may not believe me but we used it for years as an airplane tug! This little bugger used to pull my buddies 6000 lb Beechcraft Baron, a twin engine plane!! No Problems Mate LOL LOL ya had to look real hard to see the tractor in front of it ROFLOL
Jack

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Larry: thanks for the link I have sent them an email and now can only wait and hold my breath, and :praying::praying: they can find an answer that is affordable :thanku:
Jack

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
You can try contacting these people they have a lot of old equipment they have a 717 but motor missing they have a 725 that they say runs good don`t know it thats any help to you or if it would fit your 717.Try this link if you need to call them just click on home page. Good luck

http://www.jnemes.com/pre-owned_equipment

1 - 7 of 7 Posts