My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BX1860
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While mowing with my 1860 today, something just didn't seem right. I looked underneath and saw that I had oil (engine or transmission, I don't know) leaking on the front of my mower deck. I've had this thing less than a year and this is the second leak! The last time my bx was down for 3+ weeks while I waited for the dealer to get the part in. I can't wait to see how long this takes.

A tractor that doesn't run isn't much of a tractor in my book.

I am seriously questioning my decision to purchase this tractor and I am giving quite a bit of thought to trading it in on another brand.

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
Hate to hear mikesj. Could it be the same fitting? Or another on the hydraulic block.
I know it can be very aggravating, when it's hardly broke in.
We're getting into the tailend of the mowing season so perhaps you can get a much faster turnaround. While your waiting service you might do a quick check and make sure all the fittings are good and tight.
Dave

·
Great Site Good People
6,659 Posts
mikej, don't give up on orange. They make a great tractor. This can happen with any brand (leak). My brother experienced a simular problem with his tractor which is a different brand.

·
Administrator - We’re all friends here
15,577 Posts
Sorry you are having another problem. These are quality machines and it may never fail again. You shouldn't have to wait three weeks for your dealer to get a part. :fing20:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Same thing with my BX24. I believe it was the loader vale block or soething like that. Orings and loose fittings. 2 the first year. Sounds like yours is in the same place. Now on my 3rd year and everything is good.

·
BX1860
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stopped by the dealer today and told him what was up. His mechanic was standing there and they both said "o-rings" at the same time. The dealer said his mechanic would be delivering another tractor in my area and that he could fix it at my house. He said it would only take 5 minutes. Sounds good...

I got home from work with a note from the mechanic that he didn't bring the right tools to remove the battery cover. He left 5 o rings and said that if I wanted to do it myself I would need a 1" wrench. Well, I removed the battery cover easily enough, but realized that this job is going to take me way more than 5 minutes. I'll stop by tomorrow and let the dealer know that I need him to take care of it.

BTW, the dealer was right, it was leaking around the o-rings. I checked my hydraulic fluid and none registered on the dipstick. I was able to get a little bit on the end of a socket extension, and it didn't seem discolored at all and it smelled fine. I'm pretty sure that hydrostatic transmissions are tough, but do you think that I could have damaged it?

I will keep everyone posted.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Man, sorry to hear about your problem. I had a BX1850 for a year and no problems...traded for the bigger BX2660. Had it a year and half now...no problems.

Hopefully it will be an easy fix.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Any brand will have problems and to me it comes down to the dealer and it sounds like you've got a decent dealer to work through things like this. Good luck. slkpk

·
BX1860
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The dealer picked up my tractor yesterday. He said he should have the parts in and the repair completed by Saturday or Monday. They've been more on the ball this time...we'll see.

·
BX1860
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, I'm back in business. When I got home from work, my tractor was here. The dealer changed the hydraulic fluid and filter, and since I changed the oil a month or two ago for my 50 hour service, I should be in good shape for a while.

I feel like the dealer took pretty good care of me this time- he's now redeemed himself since my first lackluster service experience.

Thanks for the support!

·
Machinery enthusiast
4,257 Posts
:thThumbsU

1 - 11 of 11 Posts