My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Another Day in Paradis...
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mowed too close to the fence today and broke the wheel off. :bonk: Couple of dumb questions:
1) Can I run the mower with 3 wheels on the deck. Am I likeley to do any harm other than a poor cut running with 3 wheels until I get this fixed?
2) I don't weld. Any chance I could fix this with JBWeld?
3) If I have to get a new part, can anyone tell me what the parts that swivels and holds the wheel to the deck is called?

I'd appreciate any help y'all could lend...

Attachments

·
16,631 Posts
Looks like from the picture, that's either cast or 'pot-metal", but I don't think JB Weld will work for that--

glenn

·
Premium Member
31,653 Posts
You can still mow, maybe scalp the lawn in a few spots depending on what your lawn is like.

You can order a new one, you can look up the part number on JD Parts or take the old one with to the dealer so they can match it.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,432 Posts
Won't hurt anything if you mow without it. Those wheels don't support any weight unless they hit a high spot in the yard.

·
USMC
19,146 Posts
Won't hurt anything if you mow without it. Those wheels don't support any weight unless they hit a high spot in the yard.
:ditto::ditto: slkpk

·
Shacker
784 Posts
Like Harry said, those arms are specific for each location. For lack of better terms, I will call them left and right. There are two of each on a deck. I just bought one of each from JD at $40.00 a piece. :eek: I do think if you had a welder or know someone, you could weld it back together. But after looking at your picture more closely, the shaft that the wheel rides on, is totally worn out, might as well get a new one. (There shouldn't be any grooves on the shaft.)

·
Have Dog - Will Travel
6,104 Posts
Even though the corrosion makes that piece look like "pot-metal" it is not. However, I can't imagine JB Weld being up to the task. I am often stunned by how expensive some things are from the dealer network. On the other hand, this is a part you ought to be able to find used if you can mow tripod for a couple weeks.

·
Super Moderator
33,752 Posts
Actually the back left one is different than the others, I see the front right also has a different part number so it looks like front left and back right are the same!

·
Shacker
784 Posts
Actually the back left one is different than the others, I see the front right also has a different part number so it looks like front left and back right are the same!
For whatever reason, in that diagram, it calls that arm a #12, but that is a different style arm, maybe for an older deck? On the 48c, 54c, and I believe the 62c decks, there are 2 #8's and 2 #9 arms. At least, that's how it is on my 48c deck. If you look at the actual parts list, the numbers are the same for the left rear and the right front.

·
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Appreciate all the help, especially the diagram. For $40, I'll probably just replace it.

Thanks!!

·
Got Grass?
1,292 Posts
Check ebay. May find a used on cheaper on there. V

Sent from the MTF Free App

·
Registered
558 Posts
I'd check to make sure you didn't bend the mounting point.

That's an impressive break. Must have been an interesting moment when you hit the fence.

·
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'd check to make sure you didn't bend the mounting point.

That's an impressive break. Must have been an interesting moment when you hit the fence.

Honestly, I didn't even know I did it until I came around again and saw the wheel laying next to the fence.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Honestly, I didn't even know I did it until I came around again and saw the wheel laying next to the fence.
So I was thinking about you when my "lawnboy" called me from a couple hundred yards away to tell me the left rear gauge wheel had fallen off the 62C. But in this case, it just fell off. He couldn't find the bolt. The stock bolt is a metric carriage bolt. I just ended up replacing it with a 1/4-20 and backing washer. I double nutted it so it doesn't fall off again.

I'm sure the OEM is allegedly a super duper special alloy. The one I used was just a regular old mild steel bolt. I'll just make sure to keep it greased really well. :D

I did look at the spindles and they are steel with the flange welded on. I would imagine you could have welded yours back together, but that would be a real PITA. I'd just opt for the JD replacement.

·
Registered
4,683 Posts
I understand what you did. I have had the need to mow close to fence posts. I don't know why because I always have to go back and weed wack around them. I guess someday I"ll learn my lesson and stay 6" away and the weed wacker will take care of everything in short order. :sidelaugh:

·
1,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So I was thinking about you when my "lawnboy" called me from a couple hundred yards away to tell me the left rear gauge wheel had fallen off the 62C. But in this case, it just fell off. He couldn't find the bolt. The stock bolt is a metric carriage bolt. I just ended up replacing it with a 1/4-20 and backing washer. I double nutted it so it doesn't fall off again.
I'm sure the OEM is allegedly a super duper special alloy. The one I used was just a regular old mild steel bolt. I'll just make sure to keep it greased really well. :D
I did look at the spindles and they are steel with the flange welded on. I would imagine you could have welded yours back together, but that would be a real PITA. I'd just opt for the JD replacement.
It wasn't the bolt that broke. When I found the wheel, it was still on the spindle. My BIL had a welder where he works take care of it. Looks like new.

I understand what you did. I have had the need to mow close to fence posts. I don't know why because I always have to go back and weed wack around them. I guess someday I"ll learn my lesson and stay 6" away and the weed wacker will take care of everything in short order. :sidelaugh:
I HATE to trim/weedeat. I know it will take a toll on the deck, but I trim as close as possible - probably TOO close.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts