My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at Home Hardware last week buying a 5 tine manure fork when I spotted a walk behind broadcast spreader with what I thought was a neat feature. It had a movable shield that would prevent it casting out one side or the other, supposedly so you can cast alongside a walkway or border. Now I'm way too cheap to go buy every new fangled contraption that comes along but I got to thinking that it was a really neat idea, not so much to stop it casting out one side or the other but rather to stop it from filling my boots. I mean, why do they make them cast 360 degrees anyway? I'm sure I'm not the only guy that's too lazy to lace up his boots.

I've been thinking about whether or not to buy a broadcast spreader to pull behind my tractor but I've always been concerned about the corrosive effect of the fertilizer on my tractor. Now I'm wondering if some engineer was actually bright enough to design one so it doesn't cast the fertilizer toward the tractor. That, and I wonder when they will start to make them with stainless steel components so they don't rot out.

Anyway... back to my old pusher that's slowly rotting away. Today I fashioned a fixed shield at the back to keep it from filling my boots. Not that I needed it today as it was cold and rainy so I wore rubber boots and I pulled the pant legs over top of them.

·
Registered
609 Posts
You have laces on your boots? The spreader that I use is a friends of mine, he has a piece of metal on there so it does not throw whatever in the direction of the tractor. I am not sure how much it did throw at the tractor before, but it seems to work just fine.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ja, I have laces on my boots but they're tied real loose so I can just step into them.

I figure I could always do the same thing with a tow behind spreader as I did with my walk behind. Still, have to wonder if it's just me that's concerned about casting fertilizer onto the tractor or, in the case of a walk-behind, into my boots.

Here is a pic of the newest Agri-Fab SmartSPREADER and as you can see, it is open 360 degrees.

Oh, and here's the Scotts spreader I saw. See how the movable guard parks in the rear where it keeps the stuff out of your boots.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Cub Cadet also makes one. I guess I never though about the stuff that is getting thrown on the tractor, or ATV for that matter when I put down lime and everything else. I do remember plants starting to grow in the mud on the skid plates of the ATV after seeding a food plot.

On a side note if you don't like to tie the boots try these, got a pair when I moved to Louisiana, having wore tie boots on construction sites for 10 years it was weird to see these, but now I love em, they give good support and they never come untied!

·
Registered
365 Posts
do any of those pull behind spreaders have a way to disengage the drive wheel so you can transport the spreader from A to B without putting any unneccessary wear on the drive gear? my craftsman 125lb spreader tha ti recently bought used doesn't seem to unless i'm missing something.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
On a side note if you don't like to tie the boots try these...
Nice boots... like the pull loops on the side. The point was they should hurl the fertilizer at you. Some of it would still find its way down the cuff.

Years ago I worked pipline construction and walked many miles spreading a mixture of seed and fertilizer from a hand crank spreader slung over my shoulder. Despite being tightly laced up and buttoned up, the darn stuff would still get where you didn't want it. My belt buckle got rusty and I'd get a rash around the belt line. Had to lose the belt and switch to coveralls. It still got in my boots.

As for disengaging the drive, I don't think wear while transporting would be much of an issue. If you travel more than you spread, consider a spreader that attaches to the tractor rather than a tow-behind.

·
Registered
609 Posts
I put some lime down on a small 1/2 acre plot I do for the kids they can see from the back bedroom windows today, with a regular push broadcast spreader. I was thinking about this post while I was getting ready and decided to put on some jeans. Went out, put down the lime, came back in and took my boots of at the door and had lime in my boots:) I had the jeans over my boots, and my t-shirt hanging out not tucked in, not sure how it got there. I don't ever recall this happening before with this spreader, either thinking about it messed this up or I never really paid attention in the past.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts