My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought the Brinly-Hardy 40" Tow-Behind Plug Aerator (http://www.brinly.com/PA_40BH.html) from a local Home Depot about a week ago and gave it a good workout over the last two days. Here's my review:

Assembly: It went together relatively fast. It took me a few hours by myself, but that was with a slow pace and reading over the directions as I went. It's well laid out for assembly and the instructions are well written. A few oddball-sized wrenches were needed (15/16"), but most homeowners would have the necessary tools to assemble the unit without a problem.

Actual use: It works really well! I ended up experimenting with weight in the tray, and settled on 120# as the sweet spot for my yard. It was used both before and after rain showers, and it worked much better after the rain shower. The instructions say to use this aerator after watering the lawn the evening before or after light to moderate rain, and that is definitely accurate. It pulled plugs with no hesitation and hit rocks a few times, but left no bent tines whatsoever. It went up and down some pretty significant hills without a problem and consistently created plugs and holes between 2.5" and 3".

Bottom line: This is an affordable, quality-built aerator that does what it's advertised to do. It was used on back to back days and never gave a problem. Cost was $169 and available both online at homedepot.com and at brick and mortar HD stores. There is also a 48" model that is available for $10 more but only through online ordering at homedepot.com. I would highly recommend this unit to anyone looking for an affordable, tow-behind core aerator- it does what the manufacturer claims it does... and does it well. :thThumbsU

Attachments

·
Registered
191 Posts
Great review on this. I have studied on getting a plug aerator.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,309 Posts
Sounds like your aerator works as well as mine. I agree that it's a great accessory for the price.

·
Likes Vintage JDs
9,875 Posts
Thanks for the helpful review.

I take it the wheels are for transport, and the lever is used to somehow raise the wheels when the aerator is in use?

·
Rider on the Storm
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the helpful review.

I take it the wheels are for transport, and the lever is used to somehow raise the wheels when the aerator is in use?
That's exactly it. There is a pin that the lever locks into that puts the wheels down for transport (over land, pavement, concrete, or whatever). When the handle is lowered, weight is placed on the tines and the movement of the tractor spins all three independent sections of tines. It's split into 3 sections so when turning corners, lawn damage is minimal, if at all. Good design!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have the same aerator, and I agree that it does a great job.

Just one design feature that bothers me is that you have to get off the tractor to raise and lower the tines, since the handle faces backward. It would be far more convenient if that raise/lower handle could be operated while remaining seated on the tractor.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
821 Posts
Hmmm,.....maybe there is a modification project in Jeff's future......

·
Rich
395 Posts
I have had the Brinly 40" plug aerator for over 20 years. First use in Atlanta and I did yards for $30 each, paid for the Brinly in one weekend. Use it every fall now for at least 2 or more yards with no problems. Replaced the tines once many years ago. I love the way the handle is as I rigged up a cheap winch to run it up and down at sidewalks and for backing up, video attached. Also made a weight box to hold water for weight.
Details on adding a winch here https://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/268513-aerator-lift-using-winch.html#post3145127

Attachments

·
Another project? Why not!
167 Posts
I've been considering getting one of these for a while, but I have also wondered if pulling it while loaded down would mess up the transmission in my mower. It's just an early 90's Coast to Coast (MTD) riding mower, so not the most stout transmission out there.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Rich
395 Posts
Originally I used a Scotts tractor made by Murray with a weak Peerless trans. Lasted longer than it should have. In Atlanta I pulled the aerator up some very steep hills and sometimes had to go up the less steep side with tines raised, across the back yard and then down the steep side plugging down hill. Atlanta clay required a lot of weight on the aerator. Severe abuse the trans had. If you abuse the tractor it will not last. On flat yards most tractors should do fine just rolling the aerator.

·
Another project? Why not!
167 Posts
Originally I used a Scotts tractor made by Murray with a weak Peerless trans. Lasted longer than it should have. In Atlanta I pulled the aerator up some very steep hills and sometimes had to go up the less steep side with tines raised, across the back yard and then down the steep side plugging down hill. Atlanta clay required a lot of weight on the aerator. Severe abuse the trans had. If you abuse the tractor it will not last. On flat yards most tractors should do fine just rolling the aerator.
Thanks for the feedback. I suspect that my yard is a bit too hilly. I might see if I could pull it with the Lawn Chief instead...once I ever get that one running.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts