My Tractor Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about Tractors? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently ordered a Brinly-Hardy 48in dethatcher from Home Depot on-line; $99 with free shipping. It is designed to be a tow behind, but I really wanted a 3-point hitch dethatcher so I can back into some tight places in the yard, but they are way too expensive. So I put it all together, leaving off the tow bar parts:

Then I fired up my little welder and cut-off saw, and built a receiver hitch mount with some square tubing and flat iron:

Once I got it all painted and put together, I mounted it to my heavy hitch and voilà ("wallah" if you live in the sticks) -- instant 3-point hitch dethatcher:

It really works great! :fing32:

·
Registered
990 Posts
How well does it work?

·
Registered
2,951 Posts
How well does it work?
According to Roy from the 1st post "It really works great! :fing32:" so I'm thinking it works quite well.

Very nice Roy. :thanku:for sharing the modification!:thThumbsU

·
Registered
989 Posts
Very good job Roy. :thThumbsU

Here was my crude way of achieving the same objective the past year.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
Nice work !! Other peoples fabrication gets me inspired. But it ends there, my wife bought me a really nice Hobart 140 handler welder. I just need to learn how to weld now.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
. . . Here was my crude way of achieving the same objective the past year.

Hey, it works! A man gotta do what a man gotta do with what he has to work with. I love this pic! One question? How come you didn’t use ducktape and bailing wire? :sidelaugh

·
Registered
989 Posts
Hey, it works! A man gotta do what a man gotta do with what he has to work with. I love this pic! One question? How come you didn’t use ducktape and bailing wire? :sidelaugh
You know your post got me thinking how I could do the same thing as you but with the sleeve hitch. Hayes, Johnny Products and others make a receiver adapter for the sleeve hitch. There could be one of those in my future. :thThumbsU

·
Making do with less
392 Posts
Very nice Roy:fing32:,
I'm curious though; since you were doing the mod, why didn't you just make it a true 3pt mod and connect it directly to the 3pt hitch bypassing the bulk of the heavy hitch all together?

I plan to do just that with my Brinley dethatcher, aerator and other 'toys' come spring (stay tuned). I'm hoping to make them Quick Hitch compatible.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm curious though; since you were doing the mod, why didn't you just make it a true 3pt mod and connect it directly to the 3pt hitch bypassing the bulk of the heavy hitch all together?
Because then I would have to take the HeavyHitch off of my tractor to dethatch. :fing32:

I used the HeavyHitch for so many things, and I am in and out of my FEL so often that the HH stays connected to the tractor except for the couple of times a year when I am tilling and bedding.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,540 Posts
Wow, looks good!!! Big Greene just keeps finding more and more things to do around the house...

·
Registered
315 Posts

I plan to do just that with my Brinley dethatcher, aerator and other 'toys' come spring (stay tuned). I'm hoping to make them Quick Hitch compatible.
Weight is needed for the dethatcher, so the heavy hitch has an added benefit.

·
Premium Member
954 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I took a lawn sweeper and converted it to a 3-point hitch. It worked great. You could back it up in the lifted position and dump where you wanted it. Never took a picture of though.
Well, maybe you should get us a Pic so we can see how to do it! :fing32:

I have a 50in Ohio Steel lawn sweeper that I want to do that too.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.