My Tractor Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Diesel Power
1,610 Posts
I finally assembled mine today. I was glad for the tips about keeping the spoons on the side opposite of the welds, because my instructions never mentioned it. The only problem I had, I was missing the 1 1/2" bolt that attached the transport lever to the axle. One of the hardware bags was torn open in the box and bolts were scattered everywhere, I'm sure that one fell out. I was able to find a piece of threaded rod the right diameter in my junk box and used it with two nuts to replace the missing bolt. Hopefully we will get enough rain this weekend to soften the ground so I can try it out.

·
Premium Member
5,413 Posts
Thanks for the great review :congrats: If I didn't already own the same aerator I'd be running out to buy one. I'm waiting to see some improvement in my lawn. This is the first year I tried anything more than just a quick fertilizing. I dethatched, plugged and put down step on of the Scotts products. We shall see.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Nice writeup! I bought that exact same model about 4 years ago, and it has performed very well with no problems. Even tho the tips get a bit rusty, they get shiny again everytime I use it. I have 3 pretty large chunks of concrete that I load on mine to really push those spikes in, and it has held up. I should probably check all the bolts.
Funny thing is... i also have that same rolling tool cart in black!

I also have the seeder / airator combo unit that works well too. (and also the broadcast spreader, and the de-thatcher)

·
Registered
75 Posts
I have had the 48" brinly hardy for at least 6 or 7 years. Have broken A LOT of spoons over the years. Great thing is, you can call Brinly, talk to the first person that answers the phone and have some more on the way in no-time.

I use "tube sand" for weight. It's quieter than blocks or anything hard. Also stores standing up. I get anywhere from 2" to almost 3" of depth depending how wet the soil it. This has been, hands-down, the best thing I've done for my lawn. I aerate often.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Don't forget to tighten up the bolts that hold your spikes! I didn't realize any of mine were loose, but after reading this post i felt compelled to give mine a once-over checkup. I should have put some loc-tite on the threads.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I used my Brinly today for the first time and did some fertilizing afterwards. We are supposed to get some good rain the next few days... Anxious to see how this will improve my lawn.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I just used mine for the 2nd time this year. The lawn is coming along nicely. I bought the house in January and the lawn was mostly weeds and dirt. So far, I have fertilized twice, overseeded, and aerated twice. It seems to be working!

I think the aerating is helping best with the front lawn. The front was started from sod. The roots appeared to have never penetrated into the soil and the grass was barely growing and sprouting blossoms (that what they are called?) before it was able to grow taller. It seems better now.

·
Deerefarmer41
127 Posts
Have used one of these for a half dozen years now. Run over the lawn 3 or 4 times a year. Does a fine job. I added an air tank, off a large truck, on the top for weight. I fill the tank with water, if I figured right it added about 125 lbs. The tank can be drained easy when you want to put the wheels down for transport mode. The wheels and their mounting brackets would not hold up with much weight. My lawn (about 24000 sq. ft.) is divided into three places by drive way, etc.

·
Tech Nerd Tractor Convert
1,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Thanks...

I just leave the plugs where they are.. given my soil conditions (very sandy) and that I live in an area with periodic rains, they will dissolve after a few weeks.

Some who have a lot of clay and not much moisture find the plugs just sit there, and may need some further mechanical action like dragging a section of chain link fence over the lawn to break them up.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.