My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone use this type/brand aerator? I saw one at HDepot yesterday and want to add a 3pt hookup to it and pour a concrete weight on top of the frame. Anyone use this type? Does it pull pretty good plugs? It states 3 in penetration but you never know. I have a CUT cat 0/I 3pt setup.

thanks,
Bill

·
Citizen of Earth
16,776 Posts
I don't think that you want to add a 3 point hook up to that. If it's rigid to the tractor, you won't be able to turn with out something either bending or breaking if it's engaged in the ground.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
I don't think that you want to add a 3 point hook up to that. If it's rigid to the tractor, you won't be able to turn with out something either bending or breaking if it's engaged in the ground.
I was just thinking about that same issue when I read the OP's plan to convert to 3PH hookup. I have a tow behind plug areator and dethatcher that I was thinking of doing the same thing with (conver to 3PH). Any ideas how 3PH designed areators/rakes work when turning the tractor?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Wouldn't you lift it up? Like when using a disc? Or maybe just make W I D E turns!

Maybe the pull behind would be better. I guess I am trying to find the P & C's of both.

Bill

·
Registered
224 Posts
Wouldn't you lift it up?
Not this one, if that's what you mean. When that lever you see is the pic is pulled forward, the pluggers are lifted up out of the ground. I'm not sure about the design of the Brinly, but the plugger spools should be mounted independently (or in pairs). That way the outside spools can rotate faster than the inside.

·
Registered
2,296 Posts
you could spend the dough on a Frontier plug aerator, it's a little over $1k I think:sidelaugh

·
4,219 Posts
I was just thinking about that same issue when I read the OP's plan to convert to 3PH hookup. I have a tow behind plug areator and dethatcher that I was thinking of doing the same thing with (conver to 3PH). Any ideas how 3PH designed areators/rakes work when turning the tractor?
On the 3 point set up to turn I would pick it up. Then get set up for the next pass. I also have a tow behind unit and it does work behind the SCUT. We do have a member who made a tow behind in to a 3 point. Can not recall who?

·
Citizen of Earth
16,776 Posts
With a garden tractor's tighter turning radius compared to a CUT or SCUT, you'd only have to forget or be late once in picking it up if 3 point mounted to really tweak something bad.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Does anyone use this type/brand aerator? I saw one at HDepot yesterday and want to add a 3pt hookup to it and pour a concrete weight on top of the frame. Anyone use this type? Does it pull pretty good plugs? It states 3 in penetration but you never know. I have a CUT cat 0/I 3pt setup.

thanks,
Bill
You can Get this Core Aerator For about 500.00 With the 3PT Hitch I have one It is Really heavy Duty I used it Behind My X585 & my 2305 & my new 2320 It is awesome ! http://www.trac-vac.com/index_files/CorePlugAerator.htm

·
Registered
921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found a guy from lawnsite.com that made his 3 pt and is emailing me some dims to get one started. He had about $250 in materials and I can do the welding myself.

Thanks for all the replies.

Bill

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts

·
4,219 Posts

·
4,219 Posts

·
9K+ Poster
12,162 Posts
Wow thats pretty affordable do you have one JDFANATIC.It looks to be well constucted.
Jazzyjeff,

Even though I bleed green, there was no way I could justify to the Mrs. an implement used twice a year from the guys that paint green. So, we looked at tow behind units. While there are many that appear well built, the Deere units looked like they were more heavily designed. So, we ended up with a tow behind unit. After the fact, I learned about this Sears unit, and have to confess, if I were to do it all over again, I would at least consider this unit.

As for the Deere unit I DID buy, it is very heavily built and I'm sure will last for a great deal many seasons. Will the other units do the same? The jury is still out . . .

·
Registered
516 Posts
Do you re call the price of the John Deere unit JDFANATIC if you dont mind me asking I have seen the JD unit and its better built than the sears 40 inch (it may be an agrifab but same thing really) but dont know the cost. Also any one looking for a tow behind spike areator I have a craftsman 40 inch (it may be an agrifab but same thing really) that is good shape nothings broken on it.Im willing to sell it cheap or possibly make a trade just pm me.Id really like to get one of these plug areators but its going to be alittle while before I get one unless I get a good scratch ticket.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.