My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1st question, is aerating worth it or necessary for a thick lawn? 2nd is I have found NEW 48" Brinley Aerators for $159 shipped and $129 shipped. Are these good prices? 1 is plug and the other is spike but the spiked 1 has straight spikes not curved. Is teh plug aerator the way to go? Other thing is both models are Cub Cadet.:fing20: If I do get 1 I hope my Deere don't kick back at it.:sidelaugh

·
Registered
538 Posts
The plug aerator is the way to go. It'll do a better job than the spike. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Anyone know if Brinly actually made these for Cub cadet? My info is strictly off the add.

·
MTF Tractor Nut
4,544 Posts
:ditto: on the plug aerator. Prices seem reasonable for a Brinley made unit. Brinley makes the JD ones, I don't know if they make the CC ones.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next question. If I go with the plug type does anyone drag down the little clumps of dirt left behind or just let them naturally break down. I know this sounds like dumb question but I have to ask.

·
Registered
989 Posts

·
Registered
989 Posts
Next question. If I go with the plug type does anyone drag down the little clumps of dirt left behind or just let them naturally break down. I know this sounds like dumb question but I have to ask.
If your aerating only and not seeding afterwards, just let the cores sit. They breakdown quickly. They will be gone after the first good rain.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Anyone know if Brinly actually made these for Cub cadet? My info is strictly off the add.
Post the ad, perhaps we can tell.

·
Super Moderator
18,321 Posts
:ditto: on the plug aerator. Prices seem reasonable for a Brinley made unit. Brinley makes the JD ones, I don't know if they make the CC ones.
Brinly also Make's them for Cub Cadet as well and Until Last Year There was a Cub Cadet Section On the Brinly website though I don't see it anymore on the Brinly website:thThumbsU

·
Registered
223 Posts
Ditto on the plug aerator. I plugged mine for the first time last fall, then I spread down some seed. In about a week, I was amazed at the grass that was coming up in the holes. I did nothing with the plugs, I let nature take of that. I can't wait till the spring when I will plug it again before fertilizing.
I have a JD plugger that I got for a great price, used once. My dad has a Brinley sweeper and it works and looks great.
:thThumbsU

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
Plugging my lawn a couple seasons ago (Brinley plugger) just made clay lumps that never broke down all summer. Clay soil, at least MY clay soil preserved the lumps all though rains for an entire season and made for a rough ride mowing. I probably won't bother again as it didn't make the grass any greener like in the other guy's yard. I just throw fertilizer/seed at it from then on.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I don't have clay soil. It's good black soil. Just wanting to know if plugging will make a big enough difference in getting thicker lawn vs. just spreadin fertilizer alone. I planned on rolling, then plug then spread fertilizer. Would it be best to skip the rolling this year on acoount of compacting ground to much? Would probably cause the cores to not break down as fast. Also thought about pulling dethatcher around after plugs have dried out some. Decisions decisions.

·
GANG GREEN GIZMOW KILLER!
1,240 Posts
If your not in clay they should break down after a few mowings and rains.

If you have clay soils you should really till in some mushroom soil to break it up and you will see definite improvements in your lawn, then you will notice more when you aerate.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I don't have clay soil. It's good black soil. Just wanting to know if plugging will make a big enough difference in getting thicker lawn vs. just spreadin fertilizer alone. I planned on rolling, then plug then spread fertilizer. Would it be best to skip the rolling this year on acoount of compacting ground to much? Would probably cause the cores to not break down as fast. Also thought about pulling dethatcher around after plugs have dried out some. Decisions decisions.
I would dethatch, roll, aerate then fertilize, in that order. Dethatching will pull the thatch up to expose the soil. Rolling it would correct any frost heave without pressing the thatch into the soil (thus making it harder to get up later), aerating would correct the compaction issues caused by the roller and give the fertilizer and grass seed the contact with the soil to promote seed germination and absorption into the soil. (I am not a professional, just a guy stating the logic I used to do my lawn)

I have been taking advantage of the warm weather and so far have de-thatched, mowed, bagged, aerated, and fertilized with a pre-emergent. I am now waiting for spring show up and do its thing. But my yard was in need some help as I just bought the house in December and it was neglected for the better part of a year. It was 8" tall before I mowed it in January. lol.

·
Deere Guru
505 Posts
A plug aerator is the way to go as they reduce soil compaction. Without taking a plug out, the spike ones just create holes but don't reduce compaction.

I've have good results with the 3pt aerator we have.

·
Registered
12,406 Posts
I replaced the plugging and rolling with agressive use of my front dethatcher. I scare the old grass to death in the spring and then overseed. I certainly can't afford to till in any amendments so I've become a "shallow sort of guy".:D

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
Does Brinly also make JD thatchers, lawn sweepers, etc? Not trying to hijack the thread, but I was wondering who made these.:dunno:

·
Registered
989 Posts
A plug aerator is the way to go as they reduce soil compaction. Without taking a plug out, the spike ones just create holes but don't reduce compaction.

I've have good results with the 3pt aerator we have.

Is that a commercial unit, homemade unit, or adapted from a pull behind? If commercial, what make and model?

·
Registered
989 Posts
Does Brinly also make JD thatchers, lawn sweepers, etc? Not trying to hijack the thread, but I was wondering who made these.:dunno:
They make a lot of things for JD. If you go to their site they have a special section just showing the JD branded products they make.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I don't have clay soil. It's good black soil. Just wanting to know if plugging will make a big enough difference in getting thicker lawn vs. just spreadin fertilizer alone...
The short answer is yes. I have read repeatedly from experts the next best thing after fertilizing is typically core aerating. If you fertilize, core aerate and cut at the correct height your lawn should thicken up unless you have some kind of soil deficiency.

If you get your soil tested you can determine what is best to put down when you fertilize.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.