My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:i_praying Please help me :thanku:

this mower has been in storage for the last 14 years , It belonged to my dad, after he passed I used it for about a year on my parents yard.
the other day I decided to dig it out of the storage shed & bring it back to life.

It brought out some emotions that I have been keeping inside of me for quite sometime. It is hard on us when the lord calls his children home, it brought back a lot of memories of dear old dad & I am really looking foreward to getting it running again.

it needs a new battery, the tank was bone dry when it was in storage.
I changed out the fuel filter ,spark plug, oil.

Filled it with gas , hooked a pair of jumper cables to it & cranked the moter.
At first it wouldnt start so i poured some gas in the carb & got it to fire up for about 15 seconds. it died after the gas in the bowl was used.

I shot in some starter fluid & it fired for a few seconds.
Poured in some more gas in the carb & got it to run about 30 seconds , it died , started again & ran like it was being starved of gasoline.

Maybe the carb needs to be rebuilt , I dont know , any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance :Tractor2:

[/IMG][/IMG][/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

· Retired Aug.31 2007
7,473 Posts
Nice looking Murray. Pull the gas line loose from the carb and make sure you have fuel flow. If you do it is time to check the carb. The float could be stuck after all those years. Good luck with it.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have fuel all the way to the carb , installed a new filter but not new fuel lines since the tank was dry when it was put into storage.
I will try the spray cleaner first & if that does not do it I will have to clean the carb .
Will i have to buy a kit , take it apart, soak it & rebuild it ? :thanku: to all

· Registered
83 Posts
I know this stinks cause it means work but the best way is to pull the bowl and carefully check the float,needle spring and needle. It sounds like the needle is stuck shut, also check all the little holes at the bottom of the pickup(a stripped bread tie works great at cleaning these out).:goodl:

· Registered
743 Posts
I know this stinks cause it means work but the best way is to pull the bowl and carefully check the float,needle spring and needle. It sounds like the needle is stuck shut, also check all the little holes at the bottom of the pickup(a stripped bread tie works great at cleaning these out).:goodl:
Good advice!

And thanks for the pictures. Get her running good, and keep that baby forever!

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
with some good advice from all of you, my son & I got the mower running today :bannana: :bananapow
The float was stuck big time . I drained the tank when I stored it but I dont think I thought to drain the bowl because it was DIRTY gummed up real bad .
The B 12 chem tool , sea foam , Gumout carb & choke cleaner did a very good job of cleaning it up, it took some doing & I had to let it soak over night but all went well .
I put some gas in it before I knew the float was stuck & the gas all drained down into the carb & moter , I changed the oil again & just put a little gas in it this time just to see if it would start , it did.
it smoked a little at first , but now it runs great. once again thanks to all of you :fing32:
Here is a video & some pictures for you .

View My Video

[/IMG]

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Put one of those red fuel shutoffs in the fuel line and use it. It will save you a lot of gas and oil, possibly an engine

that is a good idea, I will install one of those asap.
what will it do to the engine if too much gas is present in the oil ?

cause a loss friction protection ?

or something worse because I am sure some gas made it all the way down into the oil.

· Registered
1,766 Posts
Good job dude !! That is one nice ride, ever think 'bout racin that tractor w/ the boy? Me an my boys race all the time, I charge 'em $100.00 per race, winner takes all!! Just kiddin 'bout the $100.00, we race for fun, and to teach "em good sportsmanship. Have fun!!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.