race prep by stripping out interior
leave steering wheel dash
put in a bucket seat
remove side glass & window motors
weld up doors
cut off exhaust behind motor
line 'em up & wave the start flag
VROOOM!
patting ourselves on the back about this idea!

Attachments

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
I sure miss my P71, what a blast to drive. The thing was real quick 0 to 60 and handled great. I'm in!

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you f250
here's what a 'P71' is
quote from wikipedia
'Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (often referred to simply as CVPI or P71) is the law enforcement version of the Ford Crown Victoria'
at the beginning all cars can run together
all kinds of Crown Vic's and Lincoln Continental's
divide into class's later
made a mistake before
ALL glass gets removed
plus all these cars have a frame so
rollbar can weld right to frame ( much stronger & safer )

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
Frankly I think it would be a GREAT idea!!! Kinda a spec class entry level dirt bomber. Wouldnt eaven need to be a P71, once you strip them out, and lighten it a bit, and do basic mods they are going to all be about the same. Its a nice solid platform, thats been around for years,relyable as a stone, and can be picked up farly cheap. Think it could be a lot of fun.

Only thing... might want to allow the use of a carb also. A lot of guys are scared of the FI systems, and allowing a predetermed carb size to be run.[they make intakes for the 4.6L engines] will bring more people into it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I lost all interest in NASCAR when they went to a more-or-less common racing chassis with a plastic body shell stuck on it to make it look like a regular production car.
I grew up on the idea that racing improves the breed. Motor Trend had an article in their COTY (March?) 1964 issue when they named all of FORD as their COTY that detailed several improvements to their cars as a result of their racing involvement.
Going back to regular production cars modified for safety using any over-the-counter available parts might make me look at NASCAR again.

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
I lost all interest in NASCAR when they went to a more-or-less common racing chassis with a plastic body shell stuck on it to make it look like a regular production car.
I grew up on the idea that racing improves the breed. Motor Trend had an article in their COTY (March?) 1964 issue when they named all of FORD as their COTY that detailed several improvements to their cars as a result of their racing involvement.
Going back to regular production cars modified for safety using any over-the-counter available parts might make me look at NASCAR again.
Ya, that was the 65 full size that has, and frankly still is a great suspention setup. IIRC that front suspention setup was used for MANY years in NASCAR

·
Registered
507 Posts
Ya, that was the 65 full size that has, and frankly still is a great suspention setup. IIRC that front suspention setup was used for MANY years in NASCAR
I have heard that same story.
For what its worth, some over on the Mercedes forum compare the P71 favorable with the older "S" class, W126. The P71 is not nearly as sophisticated, as the Merc, but Ford learned how to assembly them, and they are well put together. If only they had some steering feel.

·
Super Duper Member
1,472 Posts
Frankly I think it would be a GREAT idea!!! Kinda a spec class entry level dirt bomber. Wouldnt eaven need to be a P71, once you strip them out, and lighten it a bit, and do basic mods they are going to all be about the same. Its a nice solid platform, thats been around for years,relyable as a stone, and can be picked up farly cheap. Think it could be a lot of fun.

Only thing... might want to allow the use of a carb also. A lot of guys are scared of the FI systems, and allowing a predetermed carb size to be run.[they make intakes for the 4.6L engines] will bring more people into it.
The P71 package will run circles around a standard Panther. The reason is it comes with a beefed up suspension, transmission, 3:27 gears and a true dual exhaust. I think the Mercury Marauder might be more in line with the P71 as far as performance is concerned.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thank you ingersoll
sure is a 4 barrel manifold for 4.6
all cars run together at beginning
injected and carburated
and race prepped car are light
especially since sheet metal is thin already
not like 70's Ford Galaxie for example sheet metal
back to stripping out stuff
remove airbags and side impact beams
and remove bumpers and
figure out new plain metal frame
to go under plastic outer bumper and hold it up
and allow pinned on trunk lid
can cut inner frame out of trunk lid to save weight

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
The P71 package will run circles around a standard Panther. The reason is it comes with a beefed up suspension, transmission, 3:27 gears and a true dual exhaust. I think the Mercury Marauder might be more in line with the P71 as far as performance is concerned.
Well Im running under the thoughts that, gearing, exoust, and spring/shocks/sway bar rates and other tuning would be altered by each driver.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ingersoll
1 converters need to be dealt with
seems like our lincoln has 'lock up ' converter
so replacing converter would be allowed
2 stock width rims ONLY
measure the widest factory rim and
that's the limit
ok to replace w/plain steel
3 cars ought to be ready for
the first inaugrual
My Tractor Forum race same weekend
as Indy 500

·
Super Moderator
31,982 Posts
ingersoll
1 converters need to be dealt with
seems like our lincoln has 'lock up ' converter
so replacing converter would be allowed
2 stock width rims ONLY
measure the widest factory rim and
that's the limit
ok to replace w/plain steel
3 cars ought to be ready for
the first inaugrual
My Tractor Forum race same weekend
as Indy 500
they make controlers to run the modern electronic trannys, without a full engine ECM so thats not a real issue. Though realy a old school swap to a C4 would be a smart move.It would allow cheap replacement when the AOD goes belly up. and realy... a big heavy car, farly underpowerd, and more then likly undergeared, banging around a short track, will probably never need to be out of second gear anyways

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ingersoll
86ing newer stuff is up to driver/owner
to get onto the racetrack faster
race prep body and leave computer as is
1 probably remove cruise control
2 car can be held in 2nd gear might
want to get Turbo Action shifter
to prevent knocking column shift into another gear
3 holding the line on stock rim width and
wheel wells
when you sawzall out the wheel wells and
put on wide Hoosiers that's another class
that comes later

·
close enuff works for me
3,152 Posts
Then allow beer in the pits ,and have television coverage of fist fights in the pits ,when the drivers get mad at each other. Get rid of all the fines for bad behavior..nascar made racing safer and ruined most of the FUN....drivers would get extra points for throwing their helmets at the windsheild of the other drivers car.:thThumbsU:thThumbsU

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you deere boy
well that safety thing
ok require a fuel cell
and we already had rollbar
make it a 4 point
roll bar and 2 braces
now picture Crown Vic's and Lincoln Continentals
looking like this pic

Attachments

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
okay so you took a "stock" sedan, and now have the doors welded up, no glass, aftermarket fuel cell, aftermarket wheels and tires, gutted interior, roll bar, no exhaust, hood pins, carburetor......

So youve taken all the stuff off that made it a "stock" car?

Sound Familiar?

·
Registered
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
red 85 z51
thank's for the reminder
the sub bumper ( all the happy stuff behind the plastic bumper )
can be removed and about a 1/4" steel strap
can be put in to hold up front and back plastic bumper covers
so it looks stock to the cheering crowds
start working on those cars
for the My Tractor Forum race
note: a 4.6 is 280.6 cubic inches
can paint '280 cubic inch' on both sides of car
big fun!

Attachments

·
Certified Technician
8,420 Posts
Pull the heads off the 2valve 4.6, put on Cobra heads, cobra timing cover, cobra maniifolds...instant 75hp kick in the pants, for under a grand.

1 - 20 of 55 Posts