My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
11 horse I/C, it and my craftsman II sat for a good few years before i got it running and operating again over the past few months. It uses at least from 'full' to the bottom of the dipstick when ran for a couple hours mowing, i'm just going to assume its burning it. No smoking while running. could this just be a stuck ring from it sitting so long? if so what could i do to make it better on oil

·
20,000 +posts!
20,959 Posts
If your using a thin multi-weight oil like 10W-30 or even thinner like 5W-30,it can litterally boil away without any smoking in an air cooled engine...if your engine isn't fairly new or has many hours,SAE 30W is the reccomended grade...thicker oils like SAE 40W could be used in hot weather,or you can add a thickener like Lucas or STP,Motor-Medic,or Bardahl "Stop-Smoke" to help slow the rate of consumption down,but it will likely make starting hard in cold weather...

It could be your rings are stuck from sitting but they should free up fairly quick ,I have seen some so badly gummed into the piston lands they had to be broken away to be removed though..what I'd do if it were me is add some Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil to the crankcase and gas tank and run a few tanks of gas thru it,then change the oil to SAE 30 and see if there is any improvement...if not the Lucas or similar additive will allow you to keep using it until it can be repaired properly..but be careful not to let it run too low on oil !..many of my engines are well worn and use a bit of oil,but I am not planning to rebuild them,I dont use them all enough to justify it..

·
10K and Climbin!
12,443 Posts
It could be your rings are stuck from sitting but they should free up fairly quick ,I have seen some so badly gummed into the piston lands they had to be broken away to be removed though..what I'd do if it were me is add some Seafoam or Marvel Mystery Oil to the crankcase and gas tank and run a few tanks of gas thru it,then change the oil to SAE 30 and see if there is any improvement...if not the Lucas or similar additive will allow you to keep using it until it can be repaired properly..but be careful not to let it run too low on oil !..many of my engines are well worn and use a bit of oil,but I am not planning to rebuild them,I dont use them all enough to justify it..
:ditto: on what Tractor-Holic's-Annonymous said!!:sidelaugh:sorry1:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have been running 30w, just been topping it off everytime i mow. ill prob add some atf or seafoam next time i mow and see what happens

1 - 4 of 4 Posts