My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the oil pump gear went out on my 18hp briggs v twin on my gt235 and in the process scored the housing briggs discontinued parts for that motor? im waiting on one from ebay my question is the crank just rides on the aluminum housing how long can this last?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
im assuming the crank just kinda floats in the housing with oil pumped around it? so with the pump going out made it wear steel on aluminum which didnt last long

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
Just about any engine you can think of has been used in the GT225/235/245 + LX2xx series frame. It's normally far cheaper to find a mower with a rusted out deck or bad trans but a good motor and put that motor in your mower. Then source a muffler and maybe throttle / choke cables off ebay and you are in business.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of doing that but the electrical hookups are different a.k.a alot more wires?

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
Kill wire
Starter solenoid wire
Carb solenoid wire [ maybe ]
Charging wire
Ground wire
Oil pressure sender [ maybe ]

You DO need the new motor to have a charging system that has a voltage regulator. You also want to be in the same HP range depending on the deck you have.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have a 20hp briggs that only has the two wires coming out ...what I assume is the charging? but the 235 has a six plug hookup an oil sender and a couple more wires? I am going to put the new crank half on and try it that way first if it leaks oil again Ill go that route

·
Premium Member
798 Posts
I was thinking of doing that but the electrical hookups are different a.k.a alot more wires?
For now or future reference a good wiring diagram will show you what each wire is and where it goes including the color. Just like reading a road map. Most wiring harnesses have more wires than you need. You just use the ones you want. No need for a schematic diagram. https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-difference-between-schematic-diagram-and-wiring-diagram-for-electrical-connections

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
so the oil pump gear went out on my 18hp briggs v twin on my gt235 and in the process scored the housing briggs discontinued parts for that motor? im waiting on one from ebay my question is the crank just rides on the aluminum housing how long can this last?
I know what you mean, it doesn't seem to shout ROBUST. But... most vertical shaft engines are built the same way today, including the Honda engines.

·
Premium Member
2,711 Posts
My Kawasaki FR651 (22hp vertical) is like that, no significant wear after 300 hrs when I rebuilt it because it had severely overheated due to the fan being installed incorrectly. And by overheated, it melted the end of the dipstick sticking in oil, as well as the plastic "holder" of the metal screen in the oil pump intake.

But it's just cheap that for an engine that retails for a couple grand, that they can't put in proper bearings for the crankshaft and camshaft.

·
Senior MTF Poster
12,813 Posts
Always a good idea to post the model number of engine you are asking about. 18 hp V twin B&S sounds like a Vanguard.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
203 Posts
I have the common Kohler Command 17.5 hp single running my GT235 with 54" deck with no problems. It also charges the battery at about 13.4 volts with PTO engaged, no issues with the charging but not sure of the amp output of stator though. Must be good enough. I have cut with his setup for about 5 years now.

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
I have the common Kohler Command 17.5 hp single running my GT235 with 54" deck with no problems. It also charges the battery at about 13.4 volts with PTO engaged, no issues with the charging but not sure of the amp output of stator though. Must be good enough. I have cut with his setup for about 5 years now.
If it has the alum VR on the LH rear of the cooling shroud then you have the full boogie 15 amp charging system.

ETA, I just picked up one of these motors for some future project :tango_face_wink:

·
Registered
203 Posts
If it has the alum VR on the LH rear of the cooling shroud then you have the full boogie 15 amp charging system.

ETA, I just picked up one of these motors for some future project :tango_face_wink:

It does and good to know, thx. But why this high amperage for a mower with no electric PTO and only headlights? Maybe just lucky?

·
Registered
6,276 Posts
It does and good to know, thx. But why this high amperage for a mower with no electric PTO and only headlights? Maybe just lucky?
Deere often put the high amp charging systems on mowers that could have gotten by with the 3 amp non-regulated system. Many LT series and all L100 series used high amp charging systems even though they had manual PTO.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thats another reason im going to try the vangaurd rebuild so I dont have to custom all the stuff like wiring and exhaust ect..

1 - 20 of 27 Posts