My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, Thanks for looking. I have a BS 5hp motor from 1969 on a Firestone Lawn Tractor. Needless to say it came in pieces. Anyway, I have cleaned the carb thoroughly and replaced the fuel pick up tube to the needle and jet. Replaced the needle. Replaced the diaphragm on the pump. The bowl is filling. When I pull the recoil I get a spark. But, the motor will not start. If I prime the carb by putting fuel in the throat with a turkey baster, it'll start and run for a minute. I feel that the fuel isn't getting pulled up into the needle and jet, but the tube is new and I even sealed around it with form a gasket. I am positive all the orifices are clear because I looked through them with a light. Suggestions?

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
Are you sure the form-a-gasket didnt melt and plug something up? form-a-gsket/silicon/RTV and gas DON"T mix well. And did you open the needle 1 1/2 turns?

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure the form-a-gasket didnt melt and plug something up? form-a-gsket/silicon/RTV and gas DON"T mix well. And did you open the needle 1 1/2 turns?
Thanks. Very sure. And sorry, the product I used was Loctite anaerobic gasket maker with a spray activator. And, yes, I took the carb off again to see that none of the passages were blocked, I checked that carb cleaner flowed through the pick up pathway with the tube still in place.
And, I started at 1-1/2 turns. Then fell into the usual chaos mode of lots of turns and curses.
If I am in fact, a moron and I only think it's the carb, could a weak spark fool me in this way? At this point, I've removed the head. Cleaned of all the carbon deposits and checked that the valves look OK. Next, I'm pulling the flywheel to see if all looks OK under there.
I am really wondering if the linkages are correct, too. I can't find a picture and don't have a service manual for this old a motor. The motor is 130902-0213-01. I can't find a picture that looks close in my L-head briggs manual. The linkages have changed since.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts