My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! I live in Matthews, NC and we just got hit with an F1 tornado. Power has been, as such, knocked out. It isn’t expected to be restored for at least 2 days. In the mean time I cranked up my old Coleman generator, it’s a small one just enough to run a fridge and charge some devices. It leaks gas and when it’s off because it’s missing a float bowl gasket, but so long as it’s on we’re good :). Anyway, my neighbors are in the same situation and I went with them today to a thrift shop, where I knew they had some equipment. We picked up a 2400 watt generator with a Briggs flathead for 70 bucks, allegedly working. It is very Jerry rigged, the engine being secured by zip ties. However for 70 bucks it’s hard to beat.

Unfortunately it wouldn’t start. Quickly realized that there was gas in it that had gone bad. Dumped it, tried again. Nothing. There is spark and compression. Took off the pulsa jet carb and checked it out. The upper reservoir was filthy. Cleaned it, and put in fresh gas up there too. After that, I coaxed it into starting and running for a few minutes (after I put some gas in the intake as well, but not so much that it was only running off that for the few minutes). After it died I took it back apart and the reservoir had drained down a lot. This leads me to believe the pulsa jet isn’t working. Checked out the diaphragm and spring. Spring is springy and the diagram wasn’t hard or anything, but the check valves did look frayed around the edges. The uptake from the main fuel tank is not blocked, I can blow air up through it.

So is my problem with the diaphragm? Or is there a blocked passage? I suspect the diaphragm since it runs until that upper reservoir is drained, but a port could be blocked too i suppose? Any thoughts? I appreciate it.

p.s. I have posted the same thing on a few different websites, not because I’m impatient or trying to be annoying, but because the temperature here is supposed to drop to 20 and we’re trying to get a space heater running. Sorry if I bother anybody, though I doubt anyone will notice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be the screen on the pickup tube is clogged or passages under the diaphragm.
Don’t think it’s the screen. I cleaned it off well, and I blew into the tube and it’s not blocked. It could be the passages under the diaphragm I’ll check that. Thanks!

·
Administrator
5,128 Posts
Don't know a whole lot about those carbs, but if a check valve is not working properly, it's probably not going to pump the fuel. I would get a carb kit and thorougly clean our the carb body. Might also be plugged passages from the stale gas.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know a whole lot about those carbs, but if a check valve is not working properly, it's probably not going to pump the fuel. I would get a carb kit and thorougly clean our the carb body. Might also be plugged passages from the stale gas.
thanks. I’ll spray it down and clean it thoroughly with degreaser and cleaner. The only part I imagine could wear In these carbs is the pulsa diaphragm. I’ll stick a paper clip through the ports and see if that clears anything out. Also I’ll see if the pulsa jet diaphragm is available anywhere near me.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
If that diaphragm isn't limber enough to nearly double over, when holding it from one end long ways. from the bottom, that could very well be the problem. I've picked up close to a dozen L&G items to use,and to flip in the last year, because they would not start/run. So far, 100% of them, all they needed was a quick carb. clean, and new diaphragm. Ethanol is very hard on them.

As luck would have it, I got the opportunity last Spring to do a garage clean out of a widow's husbands little work shop who worked on small engines. She said whatever I didn't want, her non-mechanic son's were going to throw in a dumpster. I found an unopened package of 10, new B&S diaphragms. When the supply got down to 3 left, I searched the part number on ebay, and just happened to find bulk packs of NOS, OEM B&S diaphragms VERY reasonable.

Any reputable small engine shop in your area,should be able to toss a new one out on the counter for you. Last I bought locally,was around $1.50. Cheap fix, if that is the problem..!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If that diaphragm isn't limber enough to nearly double over, when holding it from one end long ways. from the bottom, that could very well be the problem. I've picked up close to a dozen L&G items to use,and to flip in the last year, because they would not start/run. So far, 100% of them, all they needed was a quick carb. clean, and new diaphragm. Ethanol is very hard on them.

As luck would have it, I got the opportunity last Spring to do a garage clean out of a widow's husbands little work shop who worked on small engines. She said whatever I didn't want, her non-mechanic son's were going to throw in a dumpster. I found an unopened package of 10, new B&S diaphragms. When the supply got down to 3 left, I searched the part number on ebay, and just happened to find bulk packs of NOS, OEM B&S diaphragms VERY reasonable.

Any reputable small engine shop in your area,should be able to toss a new one out on the counter for you. Last I bought locally,was around $1.50. Cheap fix, if that is the problem..!!
I went down to my local power equipment, and sure enough, they had one! I put it in, and got it to run for about 30 minutes. So the fuel pump is working. It died again. Gunk had gotten into the jet. Cleaned it and put it back together. Ran again for a while, then the same thing happened. Cleaned it out again, only this time it wanted 2/3 choke to run nicely. Then it died yet again, presumably from dirt. Gas was not gone. I think this means I should probably blast out all the ports of the carb really well with some cleaner, since it keeps clogging.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
Once you get it cleaned out, if you've never used Seafoam,for in the fuel system, it maybe a good time to try it. Follow directions on the can. I'm not much on "mechanic in a can", but that stuff works. Don't know where you are located, but if you have a Rural King in the area, they sell a comparable item, for $3-$4 less per can.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Once you get it cleaned out, if you've never used Seafoam,for in the fuel system, it maybe a good time to try it. Follow directions on the can. I'm not much on "mechanic in a can", but that stuff works. Don't know where you are located, but if you have a Rural King in the area, they sell a comparable item, for $3-$4 less per can.
Absolutely will use it. I have before it’s pretty good stuff. I already poured some In the carb as starting fluid and it shot out embers which tells me carbons being burned off. I’m gonna clean everything as good as I can and use sea foam once it’s back together

·
10,395 Posts
The stuff your cleaning out, is it congealed fuel? Or is it possible it sat long enough that the fuel line is disintegrating? You might want to flush the line from the tank and shoot a blast of air thru it to see if you’re getting crap from that.

·
Premium Member
2,315 Posts
No fuel lines with the Pulse a jet carb. 2 tubes in the tank, one long one to pick up fuel from the main part of the tank. Diaphragm pump pulls it into a small inter tank chamber, where the second short tube feeds the carb.

·
never too old to learn
356 Posts
You've done a lot of work on the carburator but have you removed and flushed the fuel tank? (I may have missed that). I cleaned mine with acetone though there are probably better solvents.

I bought the carb rebuild kit for my model and after blowing out the ports and tubes I did replace gaskets, the diaphragm, and needle valve.

Are the idle and governor springs okay? If you remove the tank take pictures! I messed up with my governor after reassembly.

Good luck! I love this carburator for its simplicity. I have pictures at the bottom of my signature that include my Pony carburator work

·
Registered
2,262 Posts
I had one like that, BUT did have a tank that was clean. Slapped the carb on top of it with new gaskets diaphrams and cleaned the passages, still running today! Its on a Coleman 4,000 watt with 8 horse brigs on it.
The tanks on these are not forgiving and have to be super clean! ----- Cant put filters on them, thats why I don't like that style carb! ---- Clean your tank really good and try again. you still have crud in it if it plugs up the carb.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You've done a lot of work on the carburator but have you removed and flushed the fuel tank? (I may have missed that). I cleaned mine with acetone though there are probably better solvents.

I bought the carb rebuild kit for my model and after blowing out the ports and tubes I did replace gaskets, the diaphragm, and needle valve.

Are the idle and governor springs okay? If you remove the tank take pictures! I messed up with my governor after reassembly.

Good luck! I love this carburator for its simplicity. I have pictures at the bottom of my signature that include my Pony carburator work
I recently did remove and flush the tank. I used pea rocks to agitate the inside and then shook it up and let it sit filled with white vinegar for about an hour. This was after it kept clogging. Even after doing this and rinsing very thoroughly with the jet setting on a water hose, it still clogged up again. Its only the pickup tube screen that gets clogged now, so its easy to fix. After cleaning again it ran for a good bit of time no problem. I guess I'll keep running it through until it stops clogging. Might try and find a way to rig a filter in the gas fill for the future.

I've had success keeping the engine on place in the frame by wedging an empty oil bottle between the recoil and the frame, to keep if from moving. Those zip ties are not doing their job! I'll have to figure out a better way to attach it at some point. Also, there is a wire that goes to the frame from the bottom of the tank area, I think it is a ground lead It's loose. Should I be worried? And the exhaust has gotten so hot after running for an hour that it glows red faintly in the dark. Is that acceptable? I'll upload a video and some pictures at some point to let y'all see. I'm afraid it might have a slight knock, but I think I'm overthinking it. Like to have a second opinion.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

I'll also try to get a picture of the governor and stuff for you. There's some stuff on there that I don't know what they're there for, but my governor is working so you can use it for reference.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had one like that, BUT did have a tank that was clean. Slapped the carb on top of it with new gaskets diaphrams and cleaned the passages, still running today! Its on a Coleman 4,000 watt with 8 horse brigs on it.
The tanks on these are not forgiving and have to be super clean! ----- Cant put filters on them, thats why I don't like that style carb! ---- Clean your tank really good and try again. you still have crud in it if it plugs up the carb.
I forged my own gaskets out of cork, and so far so good.

its supposed to look like that. I made mine without the little slit at the top because it seemed pointless. It works thus far.

I cleaned the needle valve too

you're right that it needs to be super clean as i'm finding out. so annoying. I'm gonna devise a way to install a filter in the tank fill.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,754 Posts
Some have taken off the screen on the end of the fuel feed tube ,and used a piece if 1/8" tygon hose with a weed whacker or chain saw type fuel filter,that will lay on the bottom of the tank,when the screen gets too clogged up or gets destroyed in the cleaning process..some Pulsa-Jets also have a BB like check ball under the screen in the tube too,some will run fine without it but be harder to start,others seem to not like it missing and don't want to run right without it..

Most of the Briggs I've had with Pulsa-Jets were tough to get started,I always had to take the air filter off and cover the carb with my palm to get it to prime and start..once running,they ran pretty good..
I had one engine on a mini-bike catch on fire when gas weeping out between the carb and gas tank ignited when it backfired while coasting..I have made gaskets from old inner tubes that solved that issue--if it leaks there they will suck in air there too,and cause hard starts and be at risk of fire..
The muffler glowing dimly at night is fairly common,as long as it isn't bright orange like a pumpkin I wouldn't worry about it..over rich mixture or late ignition timing will make them do that bad enough to eventually burn an exhaust valve..

·
never too old to learn
356 Posts
I'll also try to get a picture of the governor and stuff for you. There's some stuff on there that I don't know what they're there for, but my governor is working so you can use it for reference.
I hope you’ve got this all running smoothly now. I also had small stones to clean my gas tank but it turned out there wasn’t so much build up that solvents didn’t remove them. I did get my governor under control, thank you, after buying a new spring, referring to some old Briggs engine manuals, and paying attention to my progress. My engine generally starts in a couple of pulls: wish it didn’t smoke so much but there are scores in the cylinder and other piddlin issues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts