My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Briggs and Stratton Model # 5S Type# 7000 44 Serial # 1117108. I tried to find some info but could not. Anyone know anything about these engines, where to find info (manuals), and parts maybe? It's mounted on a Planet Jr. Cultivator. The engine ran great just sitting there and the also with the drive engaged but once the the cultivator tines hit the soil the engine dies. I would like this running again as it is easier to use in the garden to get rid of weeds than the front tine rototiller. Any info is appreciated thanks in advance.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the B&S website. It doesn't recognize the numbers. I'm checking the link you sent me now. If they don'e have it I'll PM you my email. Thanks

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
bstrucker-That website was very helpful. Thanks a lot!!!!

Chagrin-I copied them right off the tag it's a 1949 .83-1hp engine

·
Registered
1,209 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh man that's even better. Thanks for finding it again. The manuals I downloaded from that other link didn't have the parts list nor the specific manual for my engine. Thanks again!!! :not_worth

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Screwing with these old engines is a little different than working with the newer stuff.You can still get some parts for the 5S engines from B&S the manuals at B&S give you part numbers for most parts on that engine.If you enter that part number at the B&S website it'll tell you if it's available and the price.I usually keep a couple parts engines around and cannabilize those because your not going to find the parts at many B&S dealers.Most of the B&S engines that I have you can't get parts for anymore though,at present I have a couple Y,WM and N engines.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to have to test it first but I'm pretty sure it's a compression problem. Just tried doing a search on B&S and came up with 0 results so....if it is a compression problem I'm going to have to repower it I guess or find another 5S that runs. I will test it out here in the near future. I've been just trying to find manuals for all the engines and equipment I have so I can put all of them in one big binder to have out in the barn. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
While I'm at it. I have a verticle shaft Twin 18hp that was running great at WOT. It's on a tractor that I just got. Well after I got it running I drove it around a bit and all seemed ok. I throttled it down then shut it off. I then started it back up after a couple minutes and it ran fine from WOT to idle then back up. After a few minutes it started to die at WOT so I dropped it down to idle. Idles beautiful but when you start to move the throttle lever up past half it dies unless you immediatly put it back down to idle. I sprayed some carb cleaner in there and it's fresh gas. Filter is clean. What would be the problem here? Carb rebuild? All the linkage for the governer is working as well. Never had this problem before. I've either had engines not run at all or run crappy but never idle beautiful and then not run past half throttle. Also tried putting the choke on....no difference.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Yea,I just looked at rings for a 5S at B&S and didn't come up with anything either,if you really want to keep that engine,you could try contacting Mike at that first website I gave you,I thought he had said something not long ago about rings that would work on these older engines,he might be able to help.You could try Bob,http://http://www.bser.com/index.html,I'm not sure what he has in older B&S stuff.You shouldn't have to hard of time finding a 5S engine,the ones that are on reel mowers seem to be in pretty good condition,they built that engine into the late 50s.I'd check the condition of the valves,maybe just reseating them would help some but if the cylinder has a lot of wear or the rings are wore out,it might not.I always thought it would be really easy to probably at least double the hp on the older engines just by cutting the head down to increase compression,they really left a lot of extra metal on those heads but if the rings are shot increasing the compression would add some other problems.Repowering with a 3hp probably wouldn't be that hard either.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
Your other engine sounds to me to be a fuel flow issue,does that tractor have a low mounted tank that uses a fuel pump or does the fuel gravity feed?If it has a fuel pump,check the line that supplies the vacuum for it,if it's cracked at the engine end and your loosing vacuum,it might not be keeping enough fuel in the carb at WOT.There could be something floating around in the carb or stuck in the main jet that restricts the fuel in the carb.Check your fuel cap to see if the vent is letting air in but if it's that,they'll usually run ok for a while when you first start it,until all the air is sucked out of the tank.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the advice on both engines. I'll send Mike an email and see what he says. If he comes up with nothing I'll check that other website. Either that or I'll sit on ebay till something pops up. Thanks again.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
A little update. The little 5s Briggs on my Planet Jr runs good. It took my arm getting wipped good and a couple minutes with the drill to get it fired up but it seems to have plenty of power. Maybe the governer was stuck back when I tried to use it years ago. According to my compression gauge it has 25psi, I couldn't find the spec from the manual I downloaded but it seems to be a good number. I did have to take the head off, a mud wasp found it's home ontop of the exhaust valve (spark plug was taken out to use on something else). The headgasket could have been the problem too. I just put some gasket sealer (not RTV) on the original gasket and tightend down the head. Quick tip....3M Weathstrip Adhesive and Gasket Sealer is a wonderful product. I've even used it to seal the beads on a couple front tires on my garden tractors.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts