My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i got a 8HP I/C briggs that surges on slow idle and i been having a hard time trying to find the carbs "sweet spot" so that it runs nice,but it acts like its running rich on fast and lean on slow.and if i rock it just right it will smoke like a banshe.how many turns of the needle from seated do i need to make?

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
got it firgurd out.there was a screw hideing under the air cleaner that was set too lean.

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks,are these engines know to suck gas? this one does.may be from age but i might have to add another fuel tank on it so i can drive it across town.

·
Junk collector
632 Posts
The side valve I/C motors do drink the gas. Case in point: my 1990 Murray. With the stock 12hp I/C it took about 1.5 tanks to do the whole yard. In 2008 I replaced the tired I/C with a new Power Built 10.5 OHV mill. I can mow all the grass on 3/4 of a tank and its alot easier to start too.

·
OMC & Ariens lover!
1,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The side valve I/C motors do drink the gas. Case in point: my 1990 Murray. With the stock 12hp I/C it took about 1.5 tanks to do the whole yard. In 2008 I replaced the tired I/C with a new Power Built 10.5 OHV mill. I can mow all the grass on 3/4 of a tank and its alot easier to start too.
lol a frind of mine has a murry i think with the same motor and he says he cant get nothing done because it sucks so much gas.someday if i ever have the money and this briggs wears out enough im going to replace it with a kawi.i do like briggs but kawi is so easy on fuel that i could drive up and down town and only use 1/4 tank of fuel...not tank and half.

·
Banned
2,370 Posts
I've had Briggs' Kohlers and Tecumsehs; my 12HP Magnum dont seem as bad on fuel as the older K series; maybe tahts because its on a ZTR thhat gets me done faster in the 1st place vs a regular "tractor" style rider;
but when I was a teenager and mowing what seemed like 1/2 the town with other people's "throwaway" mowers? I'd keep every Tecumseh and sell every B&S mower I found and fixed; because the Briggs 92000 series would take a tank and 1/2 to do the same yard I could do twice with an LAV35 or LAV40; both with the same capacity tanks; these were the days when Mom or Dad would have to make my gas runs (I wasnt old enough to drive) and I either pedaled my 10 speed and pulled the mower behind or Mom and Dad would drive me over w/ the mower in the trunk; I noticed alot less calls home to bring me gas when I was running the Tecumsehs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts