My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i have a 9 hp and a 5 hp Briggs and straton engine and the both have some kind of gear reducer on the end of the crank ill get pics tommorow but does anyone have a clue of what kinda applacation they wouldve been used on

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
cement mixer, is one

·
Premium Member
2,567 Posts
Walk behind garden tractor is another. Also I have seen Briggs engines with a gear reduction used on a farm elevator.
Dave

·
20,000 +posts!
20,958 Posts
I've seen a few on small asphalt rollers,and some snowblowers used engines with the 6:1 gear reduction..they can work well on tractors if you gear it back up some by using a larger pulley or sprocket...(If you put one 6 times larger on the engine than the driven one, it'll be the same as an engine without a gear reduction box)..you can get some impressive torque even from a 3.5 HP engine with a gear reduction box on it..

·
20,000 +posts!
20,958 Posts
I've seen some 9 and 11 HP Briggs with 6:1 gwear reduction used on capstan winches on boats,trailers and well drilling rigs that use 400 lb hammers ,it'll work ok as long as you make sure the engine only turns the winch drum and none of the load is transfered to the PTO shaft on the gearbox..you'll probably need more reduction than just the gearbox provides,I've seen guys rig an old forward/reverse tranny from a sit down mower so they could have power in/out instead of just "in" only with free spooling for "out"..

1 - 7 of 7 Posts