My Tractor Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Busy in Howey
4,705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are many ways to go about repairing a small hole in an engine case, this is a method I utilized. Depending on the location, it may not be feasible due to structural integrity. This hole was created by an individual who lacked the knowledge to use a puller on a fly wheel and utilized a screwdriver instead. Obviously not a member of our knowledgeable forum..
This hole/crack was in a flat area on the top in an area that would not be subject to submersion in oil, just exposure and slight pressure and not an area exposed to high loads of stress. You may want to conduct a brief inspection to assure the area you want to repair is not a critical area

Tools and materials required for this task were as follows, Angle die grinder with an abrasive wheel and a two part epoxy called *Metal Set, optional sand paper and a can of high temp engine paint, silver in this case.

OK, lets start. Assuming you have cleaned and degreased the area in need of repair the first thing to do would be to clean the area to be repaired with the abrasive wheel. A little texture in the area would be good to assure adhesion of the Metal Set.

Make sure there are no loose pieces or anything that would fall inside the engine. If the hole is that bad then replacing the case would be the recommendation. In this case, there were only some small cracks with no loose, flaking or brittle pieces attached.

The next step would be to prepare the Metal Set epoxy which is a 2 part epoxy that mixes 1:1 or equal parts. When you achieve a uniform color, apply the epoxy to the repair site pushing the epoxy into the crack and leave a little extra on top of the repair so you can sand or file it down smoothly.

I like to mix a small batch on a piece of cardboard with a popsicle stick, this way when I'm done I can stand the stick up in the remaining epoxy and check it later to see if the epoxy has set up without disturbing the repair site.

After letting the repair sit over night you can check the stick you left in the excess epoxy to verify it cured completely. In this case I would say "Yes".

The next step (If you choose to be aesthetically correct :) ) would be to sand, file or grind down the repair to make it smooth in preparation of the paint

Now that the repair is finished, you are now ready for the most pleasurable part of the repair, Paint!

Liability Disclosure: This is merely a suggested way of making a repair and may not reflect the recommended repair procedure of the manufacturer. I am not responsible or liable for any problems that may arise from any individual attempting to do work on their own or anyone else's equipment as these are only techniques I utilized to repair my engine case. No, I am not a lawyer! :fing32:

*Metal Set, I like using this product as it is utilized for repairs of all types in the Military and in the Aviation Industry. Once cured it can be sanded, shaped, filed, drilled, tapped, painted, etc... You can probably achieve the same results from other metal type of epoxies, just make sure they are resistant to the environment you will be exposing it to such as heat, oil, etc..

Remember to utilize the appropriate safety equipment while working with tools and paints and be safe!
Happy Fixen!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.