My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a new mower but all I can get is a BS professional series engine or a Kolher Courage. Its a Simplicity Conquest. What a huge let down for me. I know the courage does not have the best name and I am unsure about the BSPS engine. This is a top shelf Simplicity mower and I cant believe they dont offer a Vanguard or Kohler Command. What is up with that?

I have a older Simplicity mower now with a Vanguard and the engine has been perfect over a decade and a half. We just need a bigger mower now and I want a top shelf engine to go with it. Does anybody know anything about the BSPS engines and how do they compare to the older Vanguards? I am no mechanic but I know the service my Vanguard has given me in my Broadmoore has been excellent.

I really really like Simplicity equipment and they have been in my family since 1966 but if they are going to cheap out on the engines I may have to start looking elsewhere. This just breaks my heart. I may be fearful of something I know nothing about so that is why I am posting. Maybe there is a mechanic on here that knows something about these engines. We all get afraid of change though sometimes its for the good. Thanks for any advice.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,267 Posts
One thing I know, NEVER pay any attention to "professional", "Industrial", "Extended Service", all of these are just sales junk. What is the MODEL number of the engine? Anyway, the Kohler Courage is not going to be any better than whatever B&S engine that shakes out to be, probably both "entry" level engines.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One thing I know, NEVER pay any attention to "professional", "Industrial", "Extended Service", all of these are just sales junk. What is the MODEL number of the engine? Anyway, the Kohler Courage is not going to be any better than whatever B&S engine that shakes out to be, probably both "entry" level engines.

Walt Conner
Thanks for your opinion Walt. I am not a fan of the Kohler Courage engine. I am not a fan either of the briggs inteck even though my Dad has one that has been a pretty good one.

My concern is why is Simplicity not offering a top shelf engine like a Vanguard or Kaw or something on a nice machine like the Conquest? Have things tightened so much that they are all cutting corners now? Surely they know we that are going to buy a Deere, Simplicity, Wheelhorse ect know the difference dont they? I cant bring myself to buying a unknown and paying a premium price to be a guinea pig. I am just not going to do it. My salesman even told me he was getting resistance from customer like me who delt with him decades ago.

This may be a great engine but I want somebody who is mechanically inclined to tell me that and spell out the difference between it and the Vanguard Series. I flat out know that are good. I am willing to pay extra for a engine I know is solid.

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
The Professional series I imagine is probably just about the same variation of the Intek line that John Deere uses in the 100 series tractors. Not a bad little engine but definitely entry level. We had one come in on a scag zero turn that had a hole in one head. This was minor damage, for the most part if one blows, they tend to blow BIG! Snapped rods, shattered pistons, ventilated blocks, all in the same engine. I personally am not not fond of them and would avoid them. Sad to say I think the days of the would run forever Briggs are just a fading memory. Unfortunately, these days B&S usually means Breaks & Scatters. The Courage, however, is another story. The singles tend to be problematic, but I have found the V-Twins to be just as rugged as any other Kohler, not including the Triad line or the KT17, I have one on a 2004 Troy-Bilt Horse that we bought new and use to mow my grandmothers 3.5 acre yard. Knock-on-wood it has yet to give us a single problem. JMO Joe

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Professional series I imagine is probably just about the same variation of the Intek line that John Deere uses in the 100 series tractors. Not a bad little engine but definitely entry level. We had one come in on a scag zero turn that had a hole in one head. This was minor damage, for the most part if one blows, they tend to blow BIG! Snapped rods, shattered pistons, ventilated blocks, all in the same engine. I personally am not not fond of them and would avoid them. Sad to say I think the days of the would run forever Briggs are just a fading memory. Unfortunately, these days B&S usually means Breaks & Scatters. The Courage, however, is another story. The singles tend to be problematic, but I have found the V-Twins to be just as rugged as any other Kohler, not including the Triad line or the KT17, I have one on a 2004 Troy-Bilt Horse that we bought new and use to mow my grandmothers 3.5 acre yard. Knock-on-wood it has yet to give us a single problem. JMO Joe
Thanks for your opinion. Simplicity just lost a sale. I am just keeping what I have and will run it into the ground even tough its too small for what i do and need.

It just burns my *** that deere, simplicity, cub and other want to cheap ou on their products. I am willing to pay extra for the good stuff but they dont even offer it now a days. I am so frustrated. :banghead3

The engine is the heart of the machine and its important. I want a solid motor that will last for years and years. Cheapening these mowers no matter the brand just ****** me off big time. I am a Simplicity man at heart but whe you cheap out like they have I ge ****** off. I hope they read this because I have been loyol to them for 40 pluse years. I have had little gripes until now.

·
A semi-retired senior cit
2,132 Posts
I think the reason behind the engine that Simplicity uses is due to the fact that Briggs owns Simplicity mfg. I bought a Cyclone Rake last year and they use to use the Briggs Intek. But the year I bought mine they went to the Vanguard, other wise I wouldn't have.

I had a Agri-Fab vacuum trailer and I only got 4 years out of that Briggs Intek each year it got harder and harder to start no matter what I did to it. I`d have to wait a half hour before it would start back up at the end. I`d go to empty it shut it off motor get it back together the pull and pull, finally I just let it idle while I emptied it.

I had Simplicity Regent that had a Vanguard on it, that was a great little mower. I found a Simplicity Landlord that had a water cooled 27hp Kawasaki under the hood and it had under 300 hours but I couldn't afford it at the time. To bad to that tractor was like new and came with a blower/vacuum off a 54" mower deck. and cart. Maybe look for and older low hour Simplicity with the right motor.

Here`s one something like I was looking at, this one has a 20hp Vanguard. just look at all the attachments and the price, 44" mower, power bagger and snow blower. Maybe find one and it would be worth a road trip. These tractor were big bucks when new and just looking at them they were taken care of. I like the Kohler powered tractor, I had the 44" deck on my regent and w/ mulching kit added it did a great job and the kit helped stiffen up the deck, never scalped with that mower.

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/1166147

or this has 23hp Kohler Command w/oil cooler and 54" mower.

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/1140204

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
I think the reason behind the engine that Simplicity uses is due to the fact that Briggs owns Simplicity mfg.
Bingo. Hit the nail right on the head.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the reason behind the engine that Simplicity uses is due to the fact that Briggs owns Simplicity mfg. I bought a Cyclone Rake last year and they use to use the Briggs Intek. But the year I bought mine they went to the Vanguard, other wise I wouldn't have.

I had a Agri-Fab vacuum trailer and I only got 4 years out of that Briggs Intek each year it got harder and harder to start no matter what I did to it. I`d have to wait a half hour before it would start back up at the end. I`d go to empty it shut it off motor get it back together the pull and pull, finally I just let it idle while I emptied it.

I had Simplicity Regent that had a Vanguard on it, that was a great little mower. I found a Simplicity Landlord that had a water cooled 27hp Kawasaki under the hood and it had under 300 hours but I couldn't afford it at the time. To bad to that tractor was like new and came with a blower/vacuum off a 54" mower deck. and cart. Maybe look for and older low hour Simplicity with the right motor.

Here`s one something like I was looking at, this one has a 20hp Vanguard. just look at all the attachments and the price, 44" mower, power bagger and snow blower. Maybe find one and it would be worth a road trip. These tractor were big bucks when new and just looking at them they were taken care of. I like the Kohler powered tractor, I had the 44" deck on my regent and w/ mulching kit added it did a great job and the kit helped stiffen up the deck, never scalped with that mower.

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/1166147

or this has 23hp Kohler Command w/oil cooler and 54" mower.

http://www.machinefinder.com/ww/en-US/machine/1140204
I totally forgot about Briggs owing Simplicity. :fing20: When I bought my mower from them I could have got a 15 hp Kohler Command single or a Briggs Vanguard 14hp twin. I chose the Vanguard because it was smoother and quieter. I was also told that it was every bit as strong even though it was 1 less hp. I dont know if that is true but I have never wanted for more power so far.

The last time they offered a 38 inch deck on this mower it was powered by a 20 hp engine. The hp wars are in full force. My old Simplicity 707 came with 7 hp motor and it did tons of work. It might not have been as fast but it would get the job done.

It saddens me to see top of the line Manufacturers to cut corners. Has the Vanguard line been discontinued?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts