My Tractor Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I picked up an older briggs 18hp I/C that was in a Sears GT/SS 18.

Does anyone have a service manual on this series of engine? It turns over by hand It has been soaking with seafoam in the cylinders for 6months.

I would like to try and bench start it do I need to use a solenoid to wire it to a battery? It has a built in push button start switch..

Any tips/input appreciated thanks..

Attachments

·
Registered
321 Posts
if it has a push button on it id say it came off some industrial application...and yes you need to wire a solenoid to crank the motor the starter was not built with one on to it. I would also not run it with out the flywheel shroud for very long. i would also pull the heads and check the cylinder walls if it has been sitting for that long. You also might want to give the motor a look over to make sure every thing is sounds and not loose or no oil leaks.

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/engines/support/operators-manuals/

·
Jack of All Trades
1,337 Posts
As big as that push button starter is, you should be able to wire directly from the battery to the button, push the button and fire it up, when you get to that point. Just make sure to locate your kill wire first. The push button IS your solenoid, it is manually actuated by your finger rather than electrically with a key switch.

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,915 Posts
That big starter switch in the picture is intended to be wired directly to the battery, no solenoid. I would not try to start the engine before checking cylinder walls or you may do sever damage to cylinder walls and pistons. You may need to tear down and hone cylinder walls to clean up, running first may score one or both.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok guys..great advice!

Will pull heads and take some pics and see what you think, I may be wasting my time or it could be a gem.:thanku:

·
Registered
321 Posts
if it makes you feel any better the last 18hp briggs motor I bought I paid $25 for it and I was going to use it for parts but I pulled the heads of and it was bored .20 and its now in my pulling tractor and it dose great, the only thing that was wrong was the float was stuck and the starter needed new bearings which I had from another starter that the bearings were the only good parts left. Of course the last one I bought I paid $40 bucks for it and it was trashed, all the internals were rusted the crank journal was pitted the cam was rusted and pitted and the cylinder walls were sitting in water and they were trashed, the rings were stuck in the bore and to the piston.....so needles to say it was a parts motor. But you win some and you loose some...I did get a nice muffler and the governor linkages I needed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.