My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am restoring a 1995 900 series Ranch King. I have an engine problem I need some advice on. It starts and runs with a little blue smoke at starting. But running the exhaust sounds like it is stuttering. If you pull the plug wire while it is running one side will cause the engine to die and the other will just lose some rpm but keep running. Ihave put a good coil and plugs from a known good engine rebuilt the carb and checked compression (approx 100 psi both side. Do any of you have any ideas of what I am missing or need to check to get the engine running. This tractor has set for about 5 years due to an engine fire from a gas line leak.

·
Master Service Technician
748 Posts
It sounds like you have a broken connecting rod or a popped valve seat and the engine is only running on one cylinder....(SORRY BAD NEWS HERE) take a compression tester and see if you have compression in both cylinders?

Running on one cylinder is very evidnet when you engage the blades the engine stops!

Let us know what you find!

·
Senior MTF Poster
13,267 Posts
" checked compression (approx 100 psi both side."

"It sounds like you have a broken connecting rod or a popped valve seat and the engine is only running on one cylinder....(SORRY BAD NEWS HERE) take a compression tester and see if you have compression in both cylinders"

???

Not unusual for these to run erratic at idle, does it pick up OK when throttled up to half or full throttle? Try adjusting the screw sticking straight out at you just below the air cleaner, turn 1/8 turn counter clockwise.

Walt Conner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts