My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Yard Machine 42" lawn tractor given to me. Here's what i was told:
Engine had been "rebuilt" (not sure what their definition of rebuilt means) and used it for a month when it quit running. Turning the flywheel by hand, it didn't have any compression but turned smoothly, no noise or "clatter". No holes in the block or head either. I took the valve cover off and nothing broken. When i turn the engine over there is no movement of the vales at all.
Any ideas what happened and is it worth investigating further ?
What is the next step to determine what happened?
Thanks for any ideas and suggestions !

MLM

Mod# 287707
Type #1224 - E1
Code #9710072 D

·
Jack of all trades
162 Posts
Either a broken camshaft, or a broken connecting rod. Best option in my opinion, find another similar engine and swap it, or part the mower out...

·
Senior MTF Poster
12,890 Posts
"Turning the flywheel by hand, it didn't have any compression but turned smoothly,"

Figure the engine is junk.

Walt Conner

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, that's what i figured when i didn't see any movement of the lifters.
Thanks guys!

·
Hoosier Daddy
776 Posts
If you take the plug out and stick something in there to gauge piston movement while you turn the crank, you can determine if the rod broke (piston won't be moving).

It sounds like a likely scenario... It usually happens due to oil starvation, which precipitates the big end of the rod friction welding itself to the crank journal.

I've never thrown a rod, but I imagine you'd hear it happen.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, the piston is moving. I had hoped it was just a valve hanging open when I first got it.

Thanks.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any opinions on HARBOR FREIGHT PREDATOR ENGINES?

I am almost positive they are made by Honda. I have a Honda engine on my pressure washer that runs great.
I Picked up a MTD 26, TRACK DRIVE SNOW BLOWER minus the engine last summer.
Bought a $94.00 , 6.5 hp Predator engine for it and almost every detail was exactly the same as that Honda engine.

I threw snow 8 - 9 times last winter and it worked GREAT!

This YARD MACHINE Tractor is in very good shape except for the engine ... maybe I'm just a packrat but I'd hate to just junk it.

lol

·
Registered
3,800 Posts
not made by Honda that's for sure. honda clone. apparently scientists have figured out how to clone mice. just what we need. more mice.

·
15,000 +posts!
19,706 Posts
Just about everyone I know who's used those HF engines like them a lot..

One local cranberry bog decided to buy quite a few of the 6.5 HP ones for their berry picking machines,formerly they all had 4 HP Kohler K-91 engines ,circa 1960,that were getting harder to get parts for,and the berries couldn't wait to be picked-.

I know the guy who maintains all their equipment,he loves them--says "If they don't start giving trouble,I may be out of a job!...they use a lot of Honda engines also,and he claims "some" parts will interchange,but not all..

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, I defer to your expertise, but everything from the sparkplug boot to the choke and fuel shutoff to the kill switch is identical .
I'll say this, after I got the Predator engine mounted and hooked up on my blower, filled it with oil and a pint of gas, it started on the first pull.

All in all I have about $150 invested .

I'm happy so far!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
It's my understanding that initially, it was an exact copy, that you could stuff Honda parts into the clone and it would fit/work. But then Honda complained about it (various patents being infringed) and then they modified the engines a bit, so now they are very similar, but the parts are generally not interchangeable anymore.

·
Hoosier Daddy
776 Posts
I think your yard machine will need a vertical shaft engine.

In that realm, they have a 5.5hp push mower engine looking thing for $120 that's obviously too small.

The other thing they have is a 22hp V-twin for $730, which doesn't make much sense economically.

Everything else seems to be of the horizontal variety.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
I would not put much into a Yard Machines, but that is your decision. Another machine with bad deck/transmission/tires/starter/battery, etc, but with a good engine, would be a suitable source for a replacement. Check your facebook market, or craigslist and you should find one. Some recycle centers accept these machines, and they might allow you to scrounge around. Many owners don't know how to do any maintenance or repair, and find either task below their station in life.(they think.) Those will discard equipment that needs a slight bit of TLC to be put back in service. Those machines are the best source for replacement power instead of large dollar new engines.
tom

1 - 14 of 14 Posts