My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can a D400 engine be converted to a bricktop if one has the brick, a on/off switch, a primer bulb, and a fuel tank? I have a D400 engine that seems to have the same pull card housing as my D415 bricktop, but it has a slightly larger tank and a plastic shroud. IIRC it also has the carb with the (main jet?) adjustment knob on the top. That is on a low compression unknown D400 engine, but I have some good compression D408's and D409's. Can I convert them over to a bricktop? I want to put a bricktop on my 7226, but my survivor 4531 is looking less and less like a candidate for a transplant.

Or, if this has been discussed already please point me in the right direction. Thx.

·
nothing of interest
1,025 Posts
All D 400 blocks are the same, the numbers as used to figure out the '' accessories'' attached to the blocks such as shrouds, decals, etc.
Most all use the same armature plate, but there are a few exceptions to that.
It should be an easy switch over.
Can I ask why you don't just rebuild the low compression engine?
Seems like it will need to be done sometime.
In your other post you mentioned that the crank shaft on the 4531 was different.
I'm sorry, I had forgotten that some of those were used.
Were it me, I would keep the 4531 like it is, it IS a nice old survivor.
Ron

·
Registered
347 Posts
All D 400 blocks are the same, the numbers as used to figure out the '' accessories'' attached to the blocks such as shrouds, decals, etc.
Most all use the same armature plate, but there are a few exceptions to that.
It should be an easy switch over.
Can I ask why you don't just rebuild the low compression engine?
Seems like it will need to be done sometime.
In your other post you mentioned that the crank shaft on the 4531 was different.
I'm sorry, I had forgotten that some of those were used.
Were it me, I would keep the 4531 like it is, it IS a nice old survivor.
Ron
I concur completely with Ron. I think I made the comment before. Save the 4531 and don't convert it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. That's very helpful. So it's kind of like your small or big block Chevy, you either you have a short or long water pump and from there everything else fits!

I won't molest the 4531. I was having sweet lawn-boy dreams and just couldn't bring myself to take it apart. I didn't even have to change the fuel/primer lines as they were still soft and pliable with no cracks. The plastic fuel tank is still pure white, not even a scratch on the 'place foot here' script on the deck, etc., etc. I'll just power wash the underside of the deck and run the mower until the tank is empty then park it.

Back to the conversion. The D400 on the 7226 has the armature plate that will take the bricktop. It's missing the recoil, but I'll see if a regular D400 one fits. It has a metal carb with a big green plastic adjuster wheel on top and a tall adjustment screw beside it. The muffler is large diameter like my D600's, but semi-circular in lieu of a full circle. I'm sure the low compression is just a hone at worst and some new rings, but I'll verify that.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts