My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two good tillers. maxim tiller (480 x 360).jpg

Both similar, but different. Both have the same kind of Tines on the Blades.
I'm wondering if there are better tines for breaking this Sandy ground:banghead3 that gets so hard after it sits for a few months in the sun.

We normally pay a guy with a plow behind a big John Deere to break it up for us, and then I just till the turned ground to a fare-thee-well.

Would some straight blades, similar to a bunch of knives do a better job?
Does anybody know for sure?
Had any experience with this situation and what did you do?

·
Retired Super Moderator - Deceased September 2015
26,679 Posts
Really I don't know. I try to wait for some rain to soften the ground a little before tilling, but when it is hard it is a chore no matter. :thThumbsU

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Really I don't know. I try to wait for some rain to soften the ground a little before tilling, but when it is hard it is a chore no matter. :thThumbsU

Agreed, the curved tines help pull the tiller, straight ones wouldn't.

Ronnie

·
Registered
5,115 Posts
I water the area well a couple of days apart and let it sit for a few days prior to tilling. Helps a lot. Also helps to till it shallow, water again and then till deeper. Repeat as needed.

Mike

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Isn't that a tractor mounted tiller in your avatar? I tried one of those front tine tillers once and was convinced a rear tine is a better way to go. Mind you, tractor mounted would be better still.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll try the water method. Thanks.

The tiller on my little tractor is an old Sears Roto-spader. I took the handles and wheels off, hooked it up and went to tilling.
The Tiller bounced all over. I had to fashion a 3-point hitch. Not good enough though.
Soon the bouncing caused the engine to quit.
It would re-start but quit again soon.
I guessed the gas was boiling or foaming in the carb from all the bouncing so now I have to find a different Vertical shaft engine with a Pulsajet carb and I'll get back to that one.

It was sure a heckavalot easier when it was tilling behind a tractor.

·
Registered
83 Posts
you could rent or buy a rear tine tiller with counter-rotating tines. I do 100 gardens and lawns a year and when I come across hard ground or need to bust thru sod I use my cub cadet RT65. It goes thru anything.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A Hundred Gardens each year? WOW!

I'm still working on hooking up an old Rear tine tiller to my Allis Chalmers that will turn backwards. I'll put a 15 Hp motor on it if I have to.
Dick

·
Registered
33 Posts
for the one on your tractor I'd recommend making 4 point parallelagram type mount that could be raised and lowered with a screw jack or trailer tongue jack by hand...its right behind you anyways so it would be easy to crank....by box type I mean one that stays level as you raise and lower it

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I need to change my avatar to show a pile of loose and broken parts.
The Tractor has a Dead coil, the engine on the Rotor-spader quits after awhile.
And I'm up to my ears in other stuff that's broken. Including my Body and mind!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts