My Tractor Forum banner

41 - 60 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
I’m glad to hear all is well. I bought a new 318 in 1989, and unfortunately had to sell it a year or so later. Every JD I’ve owned since was at least ten years old and I have never had a big problem with any of them. My 265 has 3000 hours on it and runs great. My BIL still has my 110-8 and 110-10. I think one is a 68 and the other is a 72. With a Reputation like that, they have to make it good, glad they did, Joe.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I'm sure the dealer wasn't TOO surprised, as they would see ALL the factory's mistakes, and you or I must just see one on the tractor we bought. Still, I'm glad it sounds like you just got a deck swap to get you back on the road, er, lawn as it were

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm sure the dealer wasn't TOO surprised, as they would see ALL the factory's mistakes, and you or I must just see one on the tractor we bought. Still, I'm glad it sounds like you just got a deck swap to get you back on the road, er, lawn as it were

Yea, part of me wants to give them the benefit of the doubt. A little salty about having to pay 120 bucks for prep and have this type of problem. I get it, we’re all trying to get stuff done. it happens. The second time though, when I found out they they just ordered a new belt and spring vs looking it over to see what was actually the cause is my issue. That drove me up the wall because they did the bare minimum to “make it right”. Plus I was out my tractor for nearly 2 weeks. I thought I was going to go crazy. I have one other dealer near me, but heard questionable reviews but worth a shot.

·
3,213 Posts
Next time you're in there ask to see a JD cap, leave with it. 😉 (y)🍻

Reactions: Miiiiikeyy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
I bought a new 720 years ago . Had it delivered the first of the year (winter) .
Very early spring i use it the first time (not mowing) it ran about an hour and stopped dead .
The engine ran fine but it would not move . I called the dealer that day and told my salesman what happen he said we will pick it up . I said make sure you also bring me a new tractor and he did .
I wish I could find a solid dealer near me. My experiences have been so crappy both for Deere and Stihl. My first house, the John Deere/Stihl Dealer down the road was never open and had a 5 hour window on Saturdays to try and make it when the one sales person was not “busy”. When I finally got a spot, they were so rude I walked out (Deere supposedly dropped them a years ago) and bought a Cub Cadet from tractor supply because the two sales people was knowledgable, took time to show me everything on the tractor and always knew me by name from there on out.
I’ve transitioned all my equipment to dealer exclusive tools because the quality but not really the customer service. The last tractor, I felt what power steering was like on used 500 series but they said if I wanted to test the 350 they’d need to drive it out of the middle of a busy show room. Made me feel guilty for asking.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I wanted to just say thank you to everyone that commented and helped me out. Long time reader, first time poster and I’m glad I finally joined! You folks are awesome!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Miiiikey,
I think sometimes dealers/Sales people forget that the X300 is a gateway "Drug" that if you have a positive experience you'll keep coming back and maybe a few years down the road they can sell you an X500 or maybe even a scut. Sometimes people get focused on numbers while forgeting that word of mouth and google reviews help drive them.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I think I’m at my wits end with this tractor. Is it supposed to sound like there’s something like a chain or marbles rattling under the deck when you mow. I have the mulch kit installed thought it was that but they reinstalled it when I told them about it the first time. Also what would cause them to have to repaint the deck? There is Deere yellow on the black lever and bolt. Maybe that’s why I thought they gave me a new deck, those scuff marks are back.

·
Registered
431 Posts
You might want to do this.....Remove the deck. What appears to be noises(s) coming from under the deck or from the deck, may very well be something up above....meaning the idler pulleys or something else causing the rattle or noise. Remove the deck...no deck attached to the tractor, and start, run, high speed like you were mowing to see if you have the same noise.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Yeah, so you didn't get a new deck, it was just repaired. Does it make the same noise after the same amount of time mowing? It could be something you're running over in the yard and don't know is there but more likely something else is wrong with the deck

·
Premium Member
9,535 Posts
I would immediately demand a new tractor in writing, then begin working my way up the chain of command with Deere corporate if they balk.

Reactions: PA318Guy

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
I would immediately demand a new tractor in writing, then begin working my way up the chain of command with Deere corporate if they balk.
Email with pictures to my sales rep went out as soon as it happen. Even recorded the rattling sound. Something is obviously wrong with the machine. The dealer has put more hours on the tractor than I did.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Yeah, so you didn't get a new deck, it was just repaired. Does it make the same noise after the same amount of time mowing? It could be something you're running over in the yard and don't know is there but more likely something else is wrong with the deck

Nope they just put lipstick on a pig. I went to clean it off and after scrubbing it. The scuff showed back up. The yard is bumpy but clean nothing to hit.

Regardless, the belt came off for a third time. This is going on three weeks since I bought the machine and mowed with the tractor a total of two times. It’s like the dealer is doing the bare minimum to “make it right”. Something is not right for this to keep happening.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
My dad had a loose blade on his scut brand new. Came off the first time mowing. Thankfully for him and deere, I fell off right as the deck was shut off and the blades stopped spinning. His brand new x530 had a mower spindle come apart. Completely destroyed the top right side of deck top and underneath. Deere would only warranty the spindle lol. Wouldn't do anything for all the damage as a result of the spindle coming apart. I forget how many hrs but it was maybe within a few months after getting it i think. Spent over 30k within a few months at the dealer and they couldn't care less. Typical Deere customer service as usual. Simply put, take the thing back and get a refund. Take a step back and maybe look at different options.

·
Premium Member
9,535 Posts
Yeah, I would be at the "Deliver a brand new properly set up tractor for me and take this POS away or give me my money back." stage.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Yeah, I would be at the "Deliver a brand new properly set up tractor for me and take this POS away or give me my money back." stage.
Made me laugh out loud! Thank you, I needed that. Such a bummer. They open at 8 am will be getting a call shortly there after.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with others, I would demand a different tractor. They should have given you a different deck.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

·
3,213 Posts
Very disappointing Mikey... thought you were finally outta the woods.

I admire your patience, I think I'd be giving Joe Pesci a call by now by now.

41 - 60 of 125 Posts