My Tractor Forum banner

21 - 40 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
That does sound pretty iffy to me. How do these blades attach, do they have something like a star pattern that slips over a mating shape in the spindle? Something that ensures they rotate together?

That's the sort of design I'm used to, where even a spindle problem shouldn't be able to make a blade come off.

But my "new" tractor (different colors) is different, the blade just has a round hole, and it's only friction from the bolt that makes the blade rotate with the spindle.

For that style, if the spindle stopped hard, like jammed instantly with the belt, I could see that being enough, that the momentum of the blade, in the wrong direction (PTO engagement would want to tighten the bolts), might be enough to loosen the bolt.

It still seems like something of a stretch. But if it's just bolt torque making them rotate together, then it would seem possible, at least.

Good luck! Sucks to have it happen on a new machine, regardless.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Can’t make this stuff up. Didn’t even have to get the tractor on the lift. I went to engage the PTO and nothing happened. Looked under the tractor and the belt is off in the same spot wedged. Waiting for a call back from the service lead.

Going to be requesting a full deck replacement something is clearly wrong with the alignment of the pulley system.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Wow, I'm sorry. Hopefully they'll replace the deck. And maybe also do a closer inspection in the future.

·
Super Moderator
29,944 Posts
Can’t make this stuff up. Didn’t even have to get the tractor on the lift. I went to engage the PTO and nothing happened. Looked under the tractor and the belt is off in the same spot wedged. Waiting for a call back from the service lead.

Going to be requesting a full deck replacement something is clearly wrong with the alignment of the pulley system.
They should have done that to begin with IMO! Tossing a blade or belt on a brand new deck shouldn't happen at all unless you go out looking for hidden objects to hit!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
They should have done that to begin with IMO! Tossing a blade or belt on a brand new deck shouldn't happen at all unless you go out looking for hidden objects to hit!
Yea, been trying to be nice since they are the only game in town but I’m on my last nerve. Hopefully they have another deck to swap out and not have to wait even longer.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The thrown blade is a factory issue. I can't see a dealer removing all the decks to torque the blades on a pre-delivery check. In any event the dealer needs to make it right.

·
Registered
431 Posts
John Deere dealers....most that is have the special lift we standard home owners can't afford to lift the whole tractor and mower and the maintenance people just walk right under the deck and inspect and do what ever in their hearts content on the tractor. Air tools, special wrenches and all the other items to complete the check-out on the tractors. Maybe, or could have...and Miiiiikey's tractor fell off the lift.....and there you know rest of the story... sad story that is.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I bought a new 720 years ago . Had it delivered the first of the year (winter) .
Very early spring i use it the first time (not mowing) it ran about an hour and stopped dead .
The engine ran fine but it would not move . I called the dealer that day and told my salesman what happen he said we will pick it up . I said make sure you also bring me a new tractor and he did .

·
Registered
116 Posts
Yea, been trying to be nice since they are the only game in town but I’m on my last nerve. Hopefully they have another deck to swap out and not have to wait even longer.
I hate to say it but is there another Color tractor that you'd consider? Maybe even just as a bargaining chip with the dealer if they don't make this right. The whole situation is starting to look like a lesson on what not to do to retain a customer. Mikey, I hope they make it right for you. While it's not the most expensive Unit they sell it's an investment you made in a new piece of equipment that shouldn't have defects like this.

·
Registered
388 Posts
... I hit him with the bag with the two bearing on the side of his stupid head. Month later in court the Judge said that would be $550.00 assault charge fee. I told the Judge I would be happy to pay the fine and was glad the person paid a visit to the hospital.
Nice! Haha I bet when he returned to work he had a much more positive attitude towards warranty repairs. LOL.

·
Resident John Deere Tech
1,071 Posts
So it didn’t look bent but thought the tensioner did look bent.

I waited a month and week to get this thing. There was this weird sound when mowing but thought this was just part of break in (my wife says I’m a hypochondriac with these things so I didn’t say anything).

The tech on the phone sounded very concerned when I spoke to them. Saying something about the belt tensioner as well as the mulch kit might not been installed properly. Going to give them a call first thing Monday morning.
i am a john deere tech, this is your problem... you got a mulch kit, and who ever installed it didnt follow the directions, probably installed a blade wrong, aka not on the center of the spindle. they can come loose if its not on square. the dealer you are working with is trying to cover their butt on the mixup...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Bingo! That makes sense. The head tech was calling that out when this first happened. After the second time, they they are now replacing the sheave assembly. Before it happened I kept saying something feels off with these blades. Some weird sounds I’ve never heard before but figured it was just me, and these guys do it all the time so couldn’t be.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Did it feel out-of-balance when you turned the blades on, if you recall?

I could understand an improperly-installed blade making it come loose. Especially if the blade shifted itself into-position, and then maybe slipped "lower" on the spindle, taking the tension off the bolt.

But I'm trying to understand how that would cause the belt to wrap around and bind up?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
My wheel was vibrating a lot. Remember saying to myself that my D140 didn’t do that. The stronger vibration coincided with the sound I was referring to earlier.

What you said about the spindle might be spot on. When blade came off, I could not find the washer. Went over the whole area with a magnet roller. Thought that was weird because any tractor I owned had them.

I’m still stumped on the belt thing. Their answer didn’t make any sense to me and many people in this forum (all of whom are awesome people).

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
UPDATE - Spoke with one person from dealer and he had said the part of the spindle assembly was bent and that they ordered a new assembly and were canablilizing parts from a new x330 to make it right. I had asked why not just get me a new deck and end it. He kind of brushed it off, saying it would take 3 months. I said why not give me the deck off the x330 vs stripping it to which he responded there was nothing wrong with the deck itself just the stuff attached to it.

I asked to get transferred to the service department and spoke to the head tech. He said the bolt holding the pulley assembly was stripped causing the assembly to shift and the belt to slip off each time.

When I got it back today, the deck looked brand new. The black scuff mark on the deck from when they install mulch kit was gone and the whole thing, top and bottom was shining even in all the folds of the mulch kit. Put it though its paces, so far so good. Cuts beautiful, wheel isn’t shaking when I turn. Some rattles but I could just be shell shocked.

·
Super Moderator
29,944 Posts
UPDATE - Spoke with one person from dealer and he had said the part of the spindle assembly was bent and that they ordered a new assembly and were canablilizing parts from a new x330 to make it right. I had asked why not just get me a new deck and end it. He kind of brushed it off, saying it would take 3 months. I said why not give me the deck off the x330 vs stripping it to which he responded there was nothing wrong with the deck itself just the stuff attached to it.

I asked to get transferred to the service department and spoke to the head tech. He said the bolt holding the pulley assembly was stripped causing the assembly to shift and the belt to slip off each time.

When I got it back today, the deck looked brand new. The black scuff mark on the deck from when they install mulch kit was gone and the whole thing, top and bottom was shining even in all the folds of the mulch kit. Put it though its paces, so far so good. Cuts beautiful, wheel isn’t shaking when I turn. Some rattles but I could just be shell shocked.
I would bet that they got the message and just changed it out. No sense fighting an owner over something like that when they can switch them out and wait for the replacement to come in and send it back to JD for inspection if that's what they do.

·
3,212 Posts
Glad it worked out Mikey. Happy mowing. 🍻

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Nice, I'm glad you got it into a condition where it's working well! Enjoy the new tractor!

·
Premium Member
9,535 Posts
Glad it's working for you. If you have any more trouble at all I would demand a new tractor.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I can see or read about it soon, some working soul with big idea he is buying a new JD lawn tractor only to find the blades will be "flying" out from under the deck and the deck belt wrapping around a spindle, causing all sorts of problems, only to hear from the dealer this is "just common nature" for a new machine. Keep paying to have it fix and when you are tired of all the fixing and cost, let us know and we will sell you another one. It's a good thing I'm not in the market for a new lawn tractor.

21 - 40 of 123 Posts