My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just took delivery of a new x370. Went to mow for a second time, engaged the PTO and here a grinding sound. I see my blade fly under my wheel. I look underneath, the belt is wedged under a spindle and is torn up. A metal cup that contacts the blade also fell off and has a rip in it.

Did not hit anything, only had an hour on the tractor before it happened and, have a clean flat lot.

I get that maybe the bolt might have been loose but that seems so crazy for a dealer not to tighten it properly. Dealer has been great so far but hasn’t told me what they think after seeing the mower. Anyone else experience this?

·
3,212 Posts
Welcome to MTF. 🍻

Sounds like somebody forgot to tighten a bolt... hopefully your dealer makes it right.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I hit a big tree root dead square on the center blade on my 54C. Stopped the engine dead (it is shaft drive, no belts) and snapped the blade bolt (spindle and blade were new, bolt was not).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! Still can’t believe it. Changed my blades on all my old tractors and never had that happen. My first dealer bought, higher grade tractor so guess I had higher expectations.

They took it back, no word from them yet.

·
Registered
698 Posts
If you're still within the first 30 days of ownership, then worst case you could ask for an exchange under the terms of the 30-day Promise.

Reactions: callwill

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Knocking on wood here, but after 50 years of mostly rotary mowing of lawns, I've never had a blade fly, and I don't wrench the bolts down a lot. This has the markings of a machine that wasn't prepped for delivery. That falls squarely on the dealer and maybe that's why you are not getting any immediate word back. One other thing is a bit concerning....that your belt was damaged and off the spindle pulley. Did you notice if the spindle or its shaft was damaged or bent by this occurrence? A loose blade flying off shouldn't necessarily wreck a drive belt unless something in the spindle also let loose. Most dealers are pretty back logged,. some a few weeks, and that could also be the reason for the silent treatment. A decent dealer should make the machine right for you no charge. Hopefully you took some pictures of the blade and damage. You might want to call on Monday and bring up the 30 day return exchange subject to get it "on the record" before it expires, just in case you need that option. Keep conversation notes with names and dates until this gets resolved.

·
Super Moderator
29,944 Posts
That’s great news to hear. Didn’t realize that was an option! Thank you!! 🙂
Whatever you do know the exact date that you purchased and send them a formal letter with delivery and signature receipt before that time runs out!! Reference each time that you called them in the letter too. You want an audit trail to ensure the dealer doesn't try to push you beyond 30 days!

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
Watch your days. If things are not to your satisfaction by the 30 day return policy expiration day file it if you want.

I would want the signature confirmation back before the 30 days. So you know it is delivered. You want time to send a second one if need be before 30 days are up.

Reactions: callwill

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd request a new deck now. Let the dealer sort out the defective one on their own time and dime.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Knocking on wood here, but after 50 years of mostly rotary mowing of lawns, I've never had a blade fly, and I don't wrench the bolts down a lot. This has the markings of a machine that wasn't prepped for delivery. That falls squarely on the dealer and maybe that's why you are not getting any immediate word back. One other thing is a bit concerning....that your belt was damaged and off the spindle pulley. Did you notice if the spindle or its shaft was damaged or bent by this occurrence? A loose blade flying off shouldn't necessarily wreck a drive belt unless something in the spindle also let loose. Most dealers are pretty back logged,. some a few weeks, and that could also be the reason for the silent treatment. A decent dealer should make the machine right for you no charge. Hopefully you took some pictures of the blade and damage. You might want to call on Monday and bring up the 30 day return exchange subject to get it "on the record" before it expires, just in case you need that option. Keep conversation notes with names and dates until this gets resolved.
So it didn’t look bent but thought the tensioner did look bent.

I waited a month and week to get this thing. There was this weird sound when mowing but thought this was just part of break in (my wife says I’m a hypochondriac with these things so I didn’t say anything).

The tech on the phone sounded very concerned when I spoke to them. Saying something about the belt tensioner as well as the mulch kit might not been installed properly. Going to give them a call first thing Monday morning.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'd request a new deck now. Let the dealer sort out the defective one on their own time and dime.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
That’s a great point! Going to bring this up. They are basically the only dealer near me. So I’m stuck with them.

·
Registered
431 Posts
The person that checks new units when they come in to the dealership went on vacation and the relief person doesn't know much about mowing equipment. He/she probably asked someone how do you get under the tractor mower deck when there is only two-four inches of space to check things. So, your JD 160 was checked and marked as ready to go. Now you know rest of the story.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So they blamed the tensioner spring saying I came too loose and was like that from the factory. Once the belt came off and wedged that cause the blades to come off. Not sure what I paid for to prep the machine and how that wasn’t caught.

They wanted to just put the broken spindle cover back on because they don’t sell just the cover. I said they need to replace the whole thing. They finally agreed. I asked about replacing the deck and they said that this didn’t warrant a full deck replacement.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Maybe not, but I'd bring a few tools and take a few measurements when you go to pick it up (or have it delivered) BEFORE you accept it back or sign anything. Just check to make sure the deck is level, the blades are all running in the same plane, no strange noises are heard, etc.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Maybe not, but I'd bring a few tools and take a few measurements when you go to pick it up (or have it delivered) BEFORE you accept it back or sign anything. Just check to make sure the deck is level, the blades are all running in the same plane, no strange noises are heard, etc.
Agreed, have my lift already set up in the garage. Going to check the blades and that spindle assembly to ensure its attached properly. :)

·
Registered
431 Posts
So they blamed the tensioner spring saying I came too loose and was like that from the factory. Once the belt came off and wedged that cause the blades to come off. Not sure what I paid for to prep the machine and how that wasn’t caught.

They wanted to just put the broken spindle cover back on because they don’t sell just the cover. I said they need to replace the whole thing. They finally agreed. I asked about replacing the deck and they said that this didn’t warrant a full deck replacement.
It that same old story... blame it on something that don't make sense. So, they are telling you the blade came off all due to the belt came off the pulleys or whatever. Now, that is a new one. That would mean each time the belt breaks, you are going to have mower blades going everywhere. Kind of reminds me the time I had the inside bearings on the front wheels of my John Deere lawn tractor back in 1976 went out after a few hours of mowing. I put those two bearings in a bag and went to the dealer. The Parts manager said the reason they worn out so fast, was all due to me "mowing my yard the wrong way". I hit him with the bag with the two bearing on the side of his stupid head. Month later in court the Judge said that would be $550.00 assault charge fee. I told the Judge I would be happy to pay the fine and was glad the person paid a visit to the hospital.

·
Super Moderator
29,944 Posts
If a blade is properly torqued it won't come off because a belt wedged in a spindle. Pretty shaky explanation IMO!

1 - 20 of 123 Posts