My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased 2020 Massey Ferguson GC1723eb last week. My first project was to remove a 8” maple tree stump. Within the first 10 minutes of digging at the roots around stump I heard a metal pop sound. Thinking it was just a root didn’t think much of it. After another few seconds of digging I realized I lost range of motion in the arm. After starring at the machine for a minute, i shockingly realized the hydraulic ram was bent like a straw. I was not pushing the machine hard at all. Bringing it to the shop first thing in the morning. Wish me luck. I will attach pictures.

Attachments

·
4,831 Posts
Hi Tim Curtis..
....that must be disappointing.....You seem to be very calm about it...please maintain that attitude....it will get you a lot further when you go to the dealer.....I wish you the best with the dealer......let us know how it goes

·
Registered
269 Posts
The paint is still shiney it's so new! Good luck! Hopefully they fix that asap and get you on your way!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
21,842 Posts
Crap happens, even with new equipment.

Call the dealer and suggest that you drop the hoe and dismount the cylinder yourself to bring in. No sense losing the use of the tractor/loader while they get the parts ordered and/or do battle changing the rod out.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I have NEVER seen a cylinder bend like that! Let us know what the dealer said. They need to go over the boom and all cylinders!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Update 5-11-20 next day, I attached more pictures. I dropped tractor off first thing this morning. Service tech couldn’t believe it. Dealer took info and pictures sent them to Massey Ferguson warranty department. Parts are back ordered. They are going to talk with sales and warranty department to see what to do once Massey Ferguson gives them some approval. They are going to call me tomorrow with findings. Also they mentioned maybe the pressure relief valve may have been not working which caused over pressure. Possible...... I will update tomorrow.
[/QUOTE]

Attachments

·
21,842 Posts
Also they mentioned maybe the pressure relief valve may have been not working which caused over pressure. Possible...... I will update tomorrow.
Sorry, no. The system pressure relief valve is there to protect the pump, not necessarily the cylinders. Cylinders will be rated for the same pressure as a pump as the minimum, and usually for a significantly higher pressure. The dipper stick valve has a circuit protection relief valve that is set at a considerably higher pressure to deal with overpressure caused by an outside source.

It is also a fail safe device. If it fails, the system is safe Relief valves fail in the open position, ie the pressure is dumped unless mechanically inhibited from doing so by a manufacturing or assembly error.

That damage appears to be caused by a miss-positioning of the cross tube when welded to the rod, or a structural flaw in the rod itself.

I love the phrase "parts are back ordered". That's one reason why I dropped my hoe and dismounted the cylinder to take to the dealer. I wanted the tractor and loader at home in case there were any "back ordered" parts that might take several weeks to arrive.

Reactions: Tim Curtis

·
Registered
18 Posts
That is a bummer. I would want them to swap out the backhoe. Let them wait on the parts to fix their backhoe.

Or just swap out the tractor. 10 min use and is not much.

On a better note I have used my backhoe a lot and have a couple hundred hours on my tractor no issues. Good luck I hope it works out well.

·
Registered
269 Posts
That is a bummer. I would want them to swap out the backhoe. Let them wait on the parts to fix their backhoe.

On a better note I have used my backhoe a lot and have a couple hundred hours on my tractor no issues. Good luck I hope it works out well./
I agree here. You paid for a fully operational, soundly engineered piece of machinery. Given the newness they should be replacing anything that is structurally damaged including the Ram, the bend boom arm and anything else that doesn't meet the standard of the machine. Not doing so is asking for a repeat of all the fault points aren't addressed up front

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

On a better note I have used my backhoe a lot and have a couple hundred hours on my tractor no issues. Good luck I hope it works out well.
Dealer called me today with no set answer for them but he did say I will have it by Friday even if he has to take another new machine apart and swap it.

·
2,825 Posts
Especially in these... unusual... days, that sounds pretty fair to me.

I wonder if that thing missed a cycle or two of heat-treading somehow... be interesting if we could ever find out the cause of this.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Pickup tractor this morning. Dealer made miracles happen and I have a brand new cb65 on the back. Couldn’t have asked for better customer service in this freak mechanical failure. Don’t know if we will ever find out what happened but I will try to keep taps on it in the coming months. She ran good and I got that tree stump dug out in 20 mins! Can’t wait to get more seat time on her.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 64 Posts