My Tractor Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I just got my E130 delivered from Lowe's today.
Yes, I know, it's far less superior than all the X series models on here...but hopefully someone here can give me some advice..

It had a sign on it like it may have been a display model? Maybe they all are like that..whatever not the issue..
Anyways, as I started mowing for the first time, I noticed when I'm going straight, my steering wheel is no wear near straights. It's like turned probably 30 degrees to the right.. at least.

What the heck do I do? Easy fix? I also checked the oil before I mowed, and it was at the first dot...so I added a bit to get the oil level between the dots.

What do you guys think? Thanks in advance...

Chris

·
4,203 Posts
Did you get an owner's manual with it?...I would think it would be discussed in there..if not, I believe it would be a warranty item...also in that manual...confirm that the oil you added is compatible

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah...nothing in the owners manual about it. Not sure if I should contact lowes or John Deere..I feel like lowes will be worthless.
Yeah, it just took 10w 30..

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
It’s not going to be centered like a car. Yet to see one that is exact.

·
Registered
432 Posts
It sounds like your tractor was assembled by one of Lowe’s finest. The oil should have been topped off after the test run and wasn’t. The steering wheel most likely is splined and can be removed and reinstalled closer to center.
I would do it myself but I don’t know what you’re comfortable with. If those items weren’t done properly the deck should be checked for proper level as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It sounds like your tractor was assembled by one of Lowe’s finest. The oil should have been topped off after the test run and wasn’t. The steering wheel most likely is splined and can be removed and reinstalled closer to center.
I would do it myself but I don’t know what you’re comfortable with. If those items weren’t done properly the deck should be checked for proper level as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah Lowe's finest alright, lol.
I mean..I can turn a wrench..I dont mind fixing it if its straightforward enough (no pun intended).

What all does this entail? I assume there is a bolt under the John deere logo in the center of the wheel, right?

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Yeah Lowe's finest alright, lol.
I mean..I can turn a wrench..I dont mind fixing it if its straightforward enough (no pun intended).

What all does this entail? I assume there is a bolt under the John deere logo in the center of the wheel, right?
See diagram below. The logo should pop right off and there is a nut under there. I found a photo of the shaft on Ebay and it looks like it is splined.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I would check the tie rod ends. They are adjustable too. They could be significantly off, which might be part of the problem.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Or maybe not, the X300 has adjustments, but I don't see it in that picture. So removing the wheel is probably the best bet.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
It’s not going to be centered like a car. Yet to see one that is exact.
There's no reason it cannot be centered. Even my $999 Ariens that I bought for my dad at Home Depot has the steering wheel perfectly centered.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The box store doesn't assemble them. Anyway, I would think that they come the factory with the steering wheel attached.

The nearest Deere dealer is supposed to do the pre-sale inspection, and most of them put their sticker on the tractor somewhere so you will call them when you need help.

For any kind of warranty issue, including something like this, find the nearest Deere dealer and they'll work with you. Understand that even under warranty, they would charge you a pick-up and delivery fee if you can't get the tractor to them. Depending on the issue and the dealer, they might be able to bring the service to you, but again, probably for some kind of fee. The warranty covers parts and labor, not moving the tractor around.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Thanks, so I assume I have to remove parts 7, 8, and 11 to do it right? Nothing below #7 should be effected?
If there is a place you can put the wheel right now where the tractor will go straight, then no. Just remove the steering wheel and reposition it so that it looks straight when the tractor is straight.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If there is a place you can put the wheel right now where the tractor will go straight, then no. Just remove the steering wheel and reposition it so that it looks straight when the tractor is straight.
Oh really? I assumed I had to pull out that long shaft and basically rotate it so it fits in different grooves than it does now...

So I can just take off the wheel and put it back on to fix? Is that nut something I need an impact for? I have a breaker bar....I assume when I reassemble it needs to be torqed to some spec that I don't know, right?

·
Registered
126 Posts
This may be a stupid question, but have you run the steering full lock to full lock to make sure its coming to the same point when straight every time? I have never had a tractor with a steering wheel that looked centered and my last one had a spinner knob on it that never seemed to be in the same place. Now I could be misremembering this because I don't have that one anymore . . .

·
Premium Member
9,718 Posts
This is when you add anti sieze ( noted in manual but the dealer never does ) if you ever want to take it off in the future!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
This may be a stupid question, but have you run the steering full lock to full lock to make sure its coming to the same point when straight every time? I have never had a tractor with a steering wheel that looked centered and my last one had a spinner knob on it that never seemed to be in the same place. Now I could be misremembering this because I don't have that one anymore . . .
It's odd...like when the tractor is sitting there, and not moving....you can put the steering wheel straight, and the wheels look pretty straight .It's when it's moving that you notice that the steering has to be 30 degrees to the right to get the tractor to go perfectly straight...if that makes sense? But yeah when the tractor is not moving, everything seems as it should. Hard to test this though as there is a bit of play and it's certianly not tight like a car...I mean, when not moving forward, the steering wheel can be straight, tilted somewhat to either side, and the tires always look straight haha.

·
Super Moderator
28,901 Posts
Tolerances on steering for a machine that goes 7 mph don't have to be the same as a car, however steering on a new machine shouldn't have much play. That said, you have to determine if this is bothering you enough to go through a warranty claim or just pull the steering wheel and move it a notch on the spline. The steering wheel is normally on there pretty tight after the bolt is tightened so a steering wheel puller is advised so you don't damage it.

Here is a video showing the proper tool removing a GT steering wheel:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tolerances on steering for a machine that goes 7 mph don't have to be the same as a car, however steering on a new machine shouldn't have much play. That said, you have to determine if this is bothering you enough to go through a warranty claim or just pull the steering wheel and move it a notch on the spline. The steering wheel is normally on there pretty tight after the bolt is tightened so a steering wheel puller is advised so you don't damage it.

Here is a video showing the proper tool removing a GT steering wheel:
So does that long shaft have to come out or not? Or just the actual steering wheel?

I actually called lowes, i'm supposed to get a call from the local store manager within 24 hours. She made it seem like they would come pick up this one and deliver me a new one. We'll see though..I'm not holding my breath.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts